Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• KrissieLynn371
    KrissieLynn371 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just got a S&W M&P Shield 9 MM. Love it. I tried out about 12 different guns before settling on this one. Lightweight, less than 1" thick, and holds well. Definitely shoot before you buy if at all possible...the one I thought I wanted, based on looks, I hated when I shot.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    CC weapon look at the LCP or the TCP in .380
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    .22 is great for shooting paper targets. Some are super accurate.

I'd go for 9mm though.
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As a shooting sports instructor I tell everyone that when they find the right gun they will know it. You need to go to a reputable gun shop and try as many models as needed to find the one that feels right for you. When you find it you will know.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!
    The .357 is a wonderful weapon. It is what I personally carry for protection.
    If excessive kick is the issue, load it with .38 rounds.

^^This^^
    I have a .38 Special I call the "Noisy Cricket" after the Men In Black movies. Kicks like a tiny mule. I also have a .357 that kicks like a medium size mule. BUT since it is perfectly fine to use 38 Special rounds in a .357 the kick is now closer to a barefoot 3 yr old. That heavier frame absorbs quite a bit even though the .357 I have isn't much larger than the .38.

Doesn't make any difference with my wife though, she starts to shake a little when she can see any of them. They look mean she says.

Of course that's not the question you posted. As to what he should get you for Christmas, I lean towards the Springfield XDM line. They make them in full size and compact for carry sizes. I use one for USPSA shooting competitions; they have the advantage over exposed hammer pistols (obviously they aren't the only non-hammer pistol, just my favorite). So you could get a carry version for defense, and take it out to shoot in competition; how much better can it get?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have a Glock 23 .40 caliber, my husband has several guns, but I love this one. It's not very light though, you might have to just shop around and feel some different ones. I prefer something a little heavier.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is so strange to me! aha!
    I'm from the U.K where there are VERY strict regulations for gun ownership including air guns.
    Blah
    My uncle had a rifle but when not in use it has to be kept unloaded in his house within a lockable metal container in a locked cupboard.....

hahaha!
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Springfield XD .45 ACP... and yes, I conceal and carry. I'm a little bigger so I can get away with that :)

I love it because the magazine is double-stacked, so it's 13 rounds per mag. Not many .45's you can do that with.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    I would recommend the revolver as long as kids are not around or have a chance to get to it. If you are concerned about the recoil of the 357 you can certainly download to .38 like others have mentioned. You may want to consider a revolver in .327 Federal also. Great ballistics but less recoil than the 357. Look at the Ruger SP101 in 357 or 327 federal. Also consider the Ruger LCR. Both are great for home defense and concealed carry.
  • hoskibn
    Options
    Dear Female Gun Enthusiasts...I love you...wait that was creepy...anyway back to my advice...avoid aluminum revolvers and find something full steel, if going for a .38 special...I have a glock 20, had a glock 23 great thing about Glocks, they work...like forever.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Def for at home but not sure if I want to carry one. Too worried my kids will go into my purse and find it.

Okay, my question is this: if you're worried about them going into your purse, where are you keeping this thing at home? Also, it's not the best idea to carry in your purse anyway. But that's a different conversation.

If you're just keeping it at home, get shotgun. That's my opinion.
  • brent44622
    Options
    Home defense and carry are two different animals. I have a Glock 23, a shot gun, and a Colt M4 (.223) with 1000 rounds of ammo for personal defense in my home. A well trained shooter can keep a small army away with that.

A Glock 23 is kind of big for daily carry (I carry mine in the winter due to clothing choices in cold weather). I carry a Kahr MK9 in the summer usually if I have on shorts and a tight/smaller tshirt. I'm looking to buy a Ruger LCP or a Beretta Bodyguard to allow me to carry in gym shorts and those occasions when size is an issue. Bersa also makes a solid cheaper gun.

Remember, the best gun is the one you have. Don't focus on a big powerful gun if its not going to be one you can fit with your apparel or in your purse. I'd encourage you to get a caliber of .380 or above for personal defense. There are a lot of nice guns out there. Find one that fits you and protect yourself.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I would suggest one of the many sub compact 9mm's that are out there. They are barely bigger than the 380's.

S&W Shield is great new one just out this year. My wife and I carry Kel-Tec PF9's and like them a lot. My friend just got a Beretta Nano and likes it for carrying although he does not like it as much as his Glocks.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Springfield XDM 9mm is my current "Peacemaker" and I love it.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a Glock 9mm for home protection. Of course I could always use my crossbow too. No one wants to mess with a chick when she is armed with a pistol and a crossbow. Plus the arrow won't leave the house where as a bullet could endanger my neighbors seeing as I am in a townhouse.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi

From the UK here and am genuinely curious to hear you all talk so casually and knowledgeably about guns. This is a foreign concept to us over here, am I to take it that the average American out on the street is carrying a gun?
    Without going into the wrongs and rights of this, I find this a scary thought. I don't think I would like to live in a society where I felt threatened enough to feel I needed a gun. Just my perspective from the other side of the pond...
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have an H&K .40.... It has VERY little kick.. kinda big but will stop ANYONE or ANYTHING lol... I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I also have an AK-47 which is my gun of choice... BEST GUN EVER LOL

:love: :flowerforyou: I have the H&K USP .40 - Love it too!!!!!

Sold my AK-47 years ago... *kicks a rock*
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hi

From the UK here and am genuinely curious to hear you all talk so casually and knowledgeably about guns. This is a foreign concept to us over here, am I to take it that the average American out on the street is carrying a gun?
    Without going into the wrongs and rights of this, I find this a scary thought. I don't think I would like to live in a society where I felt threatened enough to feel I needed a gun. Just my perspective from the other side of the pond...

Are there no rapes, burglaries, muggings, assaults in the UK?
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Of course there are. Not convinced that having guns readily available to people would reduce the statistics however.
  • Abaiz
    Abaiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a former police officer, a .22 revolver, or any .22 is great for cheap target practice and to understand the basics of weapon handling. But if you want something with some stopping power move up to the 9mm or maybe a .40. In my opinion the handgun that had the least kick and the most stopping power is a 1911 .45. Its a big round, and a big gun, but the 1911 is heavy and it reduces recoil to almost nothing. Also, if you are looking to spend a bit more an FN 5seven is a sweet little number. It fires 5.7mm rounds which look like a mini 5.57mm (.223) round used in an M16/M4 variant. Little to no kick, and a muzzle flash that could blind your attacker.
This discussion has been closed.