Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Hi

From the UK here and am genuinely curious to hear you all talk so casually and knowledgeably about guns. This is a foreign concept to us over here, am I to take it that the average American out on the street is carrying a gun?
    Without going into the wrongs and rights of this, I find this a scary thought. I don't think I would like to live in a society where I felt threatened enough to feel I needed a gun. Just my perspective from the other side of the pond...

Not everyone carries. But you're looking at a thread geared towards the people that do.

The people who get permits to carry are the responsible ones that you don't need to worry about.. It's the people who carry illegally that are a concern. The world isn't all butterflies and rainbows.. I like knowing that I'm prepared for a bad situation if it arises.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Def for at home but not sure if I want to carry one. Too worried my kids will go into my purse and find it.

Okay, my question is this: if you're worried about them going into your purse, where are you keeping this thing at home? Also, it's not the best idea to carry in your purse anyway. But that's a different conversation.

If you're just keeping it at home, get shotgun. That's my opinion.

Kat, we have it in a small safe in our bedroom that requires a key. The key is hidden pretty well from the kiddos.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have an H&K .40.... It has VERY little kick.. kinda big but will stop ANYONE or ANYTHING lol... I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I also have an AK-47 which is my gun of choice... BEST GUN EVER LOL

:love: :flowerforyou: I have the H&K USP .40 - Love it too!!!!!

Sold my AK-47 years ago... *kicks a rock*

Ain't the H&K amazing... I just can't get enough of it.... My grouping with the AK is AWESOME... We have an AR but I just can't get my grouping tighter... I try but yeah I don't like the sights
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hi

From the UK here and am genuinely curious to hear you all talk so casually and knowledgeably about guns. This is a foreign concept to us over here, am I to take it that the average American out on the street is carrying a gun?
    Without going into the wrongs and rights of this, I find this a scary thought. I don't think I would like to live in a society where I felt threatened enough to feel I needed a gun. Just my perspective from the other side of the pond...

Depends on what state you're in if people are carrying guns. Some states you can carry and conceal (hide). Some you can open carry, no conceal. Some you can do either but you can't into certain public places. I can conceal and carry in my state but I don't have a permit for it. I just have a permit for ownership in my own house.

This is going to sound pretty ignorant of me, but it's my American right to own one. So I can and I will and I do. We have 5 guns at home. Neither of us (my boyfriend and I) have our CC permit. But we have friends that do and they carry every single day.
  • Abaiz
    Abaiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Haha, there are in fact. I remember recently (last year or so) there was a deranged guy with a machete somewhere in the London area and it took about 30+ police officers to surround him and get hit with a machete to stop him. In the US the first responding officer would've shot him within the first minute and the situation would be over.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Being hunters and gun collectors, my boyfriend and I have a good size collection. Most of which we keep locked in a gun safe. but for protection I have a 9mm that I carry and a double barrel shotgun in my bedroom in case of a break in. If someone breaks in in the middle of the night I dont wanna have to worry about aiming, I just wanna be able to point and pull the trigger.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Being English, this thread scares, worries and makes me feel glad to not live somewhere where owning a lethal murder weapon is so normal. I do realise that this is a massive cultural difference, that you are all coming from such a different culture that you will have no concept of why i would find anyone wanting to own a gun baffling and concerning, and the thought that ordinary people have them for 'home defence' what ever that might be, is so alien to me its like talking about a different and very scary planet.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've sold it, but I used to have a .22 Ruger semi-automatic. Loved it.

Looking at a 9mm for my next firearm purchase :smile:
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    Hi

I didn't carry my gun and I don't know many who do. I bought one because I'm a single mother with (at the time) a 2 year old child. We lived alone and it was for home defense/protection.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Any gun can help you defend yourself. I would get the largest that you shoot comfortable. And for SD, I would get a semi-automatic, not a revolver. I recommend the Kel Tec .32 or a Browning .32 if you have the extra cash. Both are pretty small. .22 tend to jam, and that is rarely good.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I love my glock 9mm....very fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. Oh, and I am super proud that I have the right to carry this gun. In places where guns are illegal, guess who still has them? That's right, the criminals. At least I have a fighting chance owning my own. I also really love shooting so it is a hobby for me as well. I wish everyone was a law abiding citizen and that violence didn't occur...but it does. So I will continue to protect myself and my family as I see fit.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Most of what is in this thread is bullcrap

Go to your local knowledgeable dealer, handle many of the popular brand name models
    Look for Sig, HK, Glock, S&W etc
    Find what fits in your hand! Try to stay 9mm or above (I can provide fbi studies if needed to show this is important)

380 is OK if you must go subcompact

I'd stay away from revolvers, especially if you are going to conceal

Message me if you need anymore help
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    This is so strange to me! aha!
    I'm from the U.K where there are VERY strict regulations for gun ownership including air guns.
    Blah
    My uncle had a rifle but when not in use it has to be kept unloaded in his house within a lockable metal container in a locked cupboard.....

hahaha!

Locking guns up is NOT a bad thing in the US. But for SD, I like a fingerprint safe.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

32 savage pistol 1905
  • glonigan
    Options
    I carry a Glock 19 with Hydroshock ammo for my defensive carry/concealed and as a backup for home protection. It would be better to train your kids how to handle guns so you will not have to worry about them "finding" it in your purse in my opinion. As someone else wrote, you need to find what you are comfortable with and only you will know that from shooting the gun at the range. I personally think a 38 revolver would be great for your situation but that is just my opinion. Best of luck to you and let us know what you come up with. Cheers from Arizona!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i have the north american arms .22 revolver. It is very small and fits in my pocket-also got an ankle holster for it which is nice to have when riding my motorcycles. I keep my colt .38 by my pillow :-)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I love my glock 9mm....very fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. Oh, and I am super proud that I have the right to carry this gun. In places where guns are illegal, guess who still has them? That's right, the criminals. At least I have a fighting chance owning my own. I also really love shooting so it is a hobby for me as well. I wish everyone was a law abiding citizen and that violence didn't occur...but it does. So I will continue to protect myself and my family as I see fit.

Yep I agree! If guns were to be taken away from law abiding citizens then the criminals would be the only ones left with them.
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    Also, I never locked up my gun or used a trigger lock. Seemed to defeat the purpose for which I bought it, as I doubt a potential rapist/murderer would be willing to wait patiently while I unlocked my weapon and loaded it. I simply kept it out of reach and out of sight of my child, then when she was old enough, I made sure she was educated on gun safety.
  • beeker75
    Options
    I personally dont care for .22 or 9mm. Not enough power for me (5'6", and currently 170lbs, but working on that lol) I LOVE my Sig Sauer P229 .40. It's compact, for my 'small' hands, and carries well (which is good for my CCW). It also is light on the kick, and I feel comfortable holding it. :D Good luck. The best thing to do, would be to go to a gun shop and fire various makes, models and calibers, and choose whichever felt the best for you. That is the nice thing about gun shops. They have firing ranges, and the staff is usally very helpful when it comes to this choice. They dont want you overloading yourself either! :)
  • zyrilia
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

Let me just say that it's exceedingly difficult to find something that is lightweight AND doesn't have a lot of kick, unless you're looking at .22LR pistols.

The weight of the pistol and the length of the barrel actually help absorb some of the recoil. My usual carry pistol is a 4" 1911 in 45ACP. Almost 2 pounds of gun, plus ammo weight. I can shoot it all day without a problem. A friend let me try her DB9 (a small, concealable 9mm pistol by DiamondBack), and after 3 shots I gave it back - the recoil was such that I had hardly any control, and at 3 yards, I think I hit the paper once. So much for a lightweight gun.

The best advice given to you so far is to try and rent a couple of different guns and see what you like. What looks great on the shelf, and feels good in your hand, may not be the gun for you on the range. And if you can't shoot it on the range, you won't practice with it, and you won't be confident enough in it to use it in an emergency.

PS - if you were local, I'd take you out shooting. :)
This discussion has been closed.