Why do people hate burpees so much?

Options
Seriously, why do burpees have such a bad rep? I can think of several other exercises and lifts that are worse.
Clean and press, deadlift, thrusters and power jumps for example, make me want to vomit and pass out much worse than burpees.

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    burpee to tuck jump
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    burpee to tuck jump

I do pushup to power jump/High knee tuck jump. Those are badass. I've also done pushup to pullup variation.
  • kathers01
    kathers01 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like burpees :)
  • staceysmyname
    staceysmyname Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Because some think they are too difficult?

I like the extra challenge (burpees) up until last week when I heard an "POP" in my lower back and wanted to throw up from the pain.

I don't like them anymore because of injury.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i hate the name... ´burpees´, makes me think of someone burping, YUK :sick:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Because some think they are too difficult?

I like the extra challenge (burpees) up until last week when I heard an "POP" in my lower back and wanted to throw up from the pain.

I don't like them anymore because of injury.

Ouch, did you slip a disc?
  • staceysmyname
    staceysmyname Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Luckily no. It was in the middle of my kickboxing class and I continued on in pain. I sat for a moment after class and thats when I seized up. It was my biggest fear until I was able to see the doctor. It was a really nasty muscle strain.

For now, burpees are not on my list of things to do. However with more conditioning I will look forward to doing them. And generally there are only 4 of us in a class of 25 that will do them.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Luckily no. It was in the middle of my kickboxing class and I continued on in pain. I sat for a moment after class and thats when I seized up. It was my biggest fear until I was able to see the doctor. It was a really nasty muscle strain.

For now, burpees are not on my list of things to do. However with more conditioning I will look forward to doing them. And generally there are only 4 of us in a class of 25 that will do them.

Glad to hear it wasnt a major injury. Heal up and get back to training hard.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my knees, so I can't' do it.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with above...

They hurt my knees.

That, and I'm the kind of person who could walk all day, every day... but ask me to do explosive exercise or run for 10 minutes and I would feel like hurling.

Maybe that will change as I shift some of the extra weight back out of me in the form of sweat.

But definitely hard on my knees.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Clean and press, deadlift, thrusters and power jumps for example, make me want to vomit and pass out much worse than burpees.
    Well, depends on the weight for those lifts and the length of the sets.
    Heavy lifts hurt worse for each rep, but usually I'm not doing more than 5 if it's super heavy for me.
    Burpees, generally come up in my workouts in the form of "do as many as you can in X minutes" or "do 50 as fast as you can", so it's sort of a prolonged awfulness.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hate them (and don't do them) because they aggrivate my heart condition- but otther than that they would be fine, they are kinda fun- (till I nearly black out at the 3rd)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    i hate the name... ´burpees´, makes me think of someone burping, YUK :sick:

makes me think of that fllower/garden catalog my dad always ordered out of.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Cuz.
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    Takes me back to high school where we'd have to do burpees for messing up in practice lol I have PTBD (post traumatic burpee disorder).
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't like them because they hurt my bad knee, loose shoulder, and crackly hips. None of those are the technical terms but burpees find all the pain. I'd rather torturous heavy lifting than burpees. My body handles running better now than it used to so it may be better... I guess I'm a little afraid to try again.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees... and just about every exercise my trainer makes me do. It's a love/hate relationship. I hate doing them but I love the results.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Never did them but I have drank several orange and grape Burples as a kid.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think most people hate them because somehow you always have to do a ton of reps. No one ever says "I did ten burpees". It's always a part of a fit test, or the punishment for something in sports, or an obstacle penalty in a race... You always have to either do a ton of them or do them when you're already really tired, or both.
  • ellyloo
    Options
    cuz they're frikken hard!!