Why do people hate burpees so much?

Options

Replies

• imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My trainer just introduced me to burpees. They are challenging, and I'm not very good at them. Yet. I like that they are hard, and want to get better at them! What a great addition to my workout!
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love burpees....especially with a BOSU ball!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    burpee pull ups, burpees Toes to bar., 100 of them, for time.

I'd do thrusters, wall balls, walking lunges... anything but burpees
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    For me it kills my wrists (which are very weak)

I have wrist issues too...try turning them out slightly when you get into the plank position. That helps A LOT!

You can do them with dumbells too until you work on your strength and flexibility. I had wrists issues when doing them months ago but I don't even feel anything now. That's after almost half a year of compound lifts and other workouts too. Clean grip front squats are pretty good for this.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with them...I love to hate them! My trainer likes to inflict this torture on me.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    burpee pull ups, burpees Toes to bar., 100 of them, for time.

I'd do thrusters, wall balls, walking lunges... anything but burpees

Burpee to pullup is one of my favorite exercises, no sorry *kitten* kipping pullup though.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with them...I love to hate them! My trainer likes to inflict this torture on me.

Your trainer and I have something in common. I love to have my clients do 100 for warmup LOL!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Love me some burpees!!! My son and I will even do them at the most random places just to be goofy. It's kinda like a challenge between the two of us. Although, I will say they are kinda funky in an elevator. ;)
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love burpees!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like this video of Nia Shanks doing advanced burpees with pull ups!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9YGD3f1CNE
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    i hate the name... ´burpees´, makes me think of someone burping, YUK :sick:

Agreed. I love burpees but why do they have to be called that? I always do mine with a push up. But there are worse exerciSes than burpees such as pull ups and jump lunges...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    They are a challenging exercise. It depends on how many you do. If I do like 10, I'm okay with that. Beyond that, it tries my patience.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Clean and press, deadlift, thrusters and power jumps for example, make me want to vomit and pass out much worse than burpees.
    Well, depends on the weight for those lifts and the length of the sets.
    Heavy lifts hurt worse for each rep, but usually I'm not doing more than 5 if it's super heavy for me.
    Burpees, generally come up in my workouts in the form of "do as many as you can in X minutes" or "do 50 as fast as you can", so it's sort of a prolonged awfulness.

Yup it's th pushing as hard as you can in a limited time burpee that is hard - great but bloody hard
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Seriously, why do burpees have such a bad rep? I can think of several other exercises and lifts that are worse.
    Clean and press, deadlift, thrusters and power jumps for example, make me want to vomit and pass out much worse than burpees.

because they fuc*ing suck. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE MAN WHO LOVES YOU FORCES YOU TO DO THEM WITH A WEIGHT VEST ON! Oh did I shout? my apologies. haha.They suck. badly.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i hate the name... ´burpees´, makes me think of someone burping, YUK :sick:

Agreed. I love burpees but why do they have to be called that? I always do mine with a push up. But there are worse exerciSes than burpees such as pull ups and jump lunges...

i F-ING hate jumping lunges too. those are EVVVVVIIIIL!
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    If you love them, you're not doing enough.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Burpees are mother ****ers lol
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't' like them because in middle school and high school my coaches used burpees as punishment. Hated them then and hate them now. But I hate jumping jacks more though
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I think burpees look cool if someone's watching, but I'd rather focus on whatever muscles I want to target. But if I want a cardio workout, then sure, they're awesome.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Back when I was in school many years ago they were called Up and Downs