Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    thumbs down
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    this is a strange thread. water is water. soup is soup. juice is juice. milk is milk. they r all liquids but different things.
  • kmboatright
    Options
    Down - you have to get your water in :smokin:
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    K how much sodium did that soup have? Was it cream or broth based? Be sure you count the calories as well as the fluids.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    DOWN! Condensed soup is a thumbs down too.
    :drinker: Agreed, am amazed at how many recipes are shared on MFP containing Condensed Soups.... ew, some have nearly 1000mg of sodium per can!
  • Goldenphil
    Options
    thumbs down water is water it's not soup or sodas or sparkling.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My personal rules are that soup is part of the food I consume and I only count what I drink towards my daily water intake. Thats just my take on it all.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'd say a definite thumbs down.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If the log entry in your diary is "soup, condensed" the water counts. If the entry is for "soup, reconstituted" or "soup, with water" the water doesn't count.

Seriously? 8 cups is a recommendation, and not a particularly accurate one for most people. Log it how you want. I count the water I add to things and don't count the water already in flavored waters, because really all I care about is that everything is logged.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Can one of the sodium nazi's tell me if you also added enough spinach to the condensed soup so that potassium equalled sodium, could you then count it as water?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Can one of the sodium nazi's tell me if you also added enough spinach to the condensed soup so that potassium equalled sodium, could you then count it as water?
    :drinker:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty liberal when it comes to what counts as water - but soup? No. Soup is food - not a beverage.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Excessive sodium intake is not the boogeyman that it has been made out to be for many (most?) people. I put that advice right up there with the "eating fat will make you fat" mindset.

Very true! Most people do not have a high sensitivity toward sodium, so the amount they consume in their diet won't have a big impact on blood pressure. However, there is still a decent portion of the population that is sensitive to sodium. As of right now, there's no easy way to test whether or not your blood pressure level is influenced by your sodium intake. Therefore, everyone is recommended to consume it in moderation.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

i would hope that in this day and age people know that sodium levels should only be monitored by salt sensitive people. people with high blood pressure, kidney problems, people with swollen feet. its still not a green light to drink cups of table salt but im just sayin.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

i would hope that in this day and age people know that sodium levels should only be monitored by salt sensitive people. people with high blood pressure, kidney problems, people with swollen feet. its not a green light to drink cups of table salt but im just sayin.
    You get diarrhea if you go overboard. It draws water in to your digestive tract and acts as a laxative. Salt is eventually self-limiting. :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    Options

i would hope that in this day and age people know that sodium levels should only be monitored by salt sensitive people. people with high blood pressure, kidney problems, people with swollen feet. its still not a green light to drink cups of table salt but im just sayin.

I would hope so too. But it seems as though from the majority of posters on here, that is not the case.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For people who are active and sweat a lot actually need to make sure that they are eating a decent amount of sodium. Chris Davey once recommended me to do cardio with a salt shaker strapped to my belt lol.
  • dullnborin
    Options
    Thanks, Rocker. I appreciate it.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    For people who are active and sweat a lot actually need to make sure that they are eating a decent amount of sodium. Chris Davey once recommended me to do cardio with a salt shaker strapped to my belt lol.

Nah that couldn't have been me. I don't do cardio...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just so we're clear on the sodium thing, I generally don't use normal table salt. I prefer a good Himalayan sea salt.

(I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a salt snob...)

And in no way was this a bump....no way...because bumping almost dead threads like this is wrong. Very wrong.