Morbidly obese, need support on my long journey

Options
Hey guys. I'm 31 years old and from south Louisiana. I've been morbidly obese since I was a toddler. However, a few days ago I had negative echocardiogram results and have been dieting hard and gave up smoking. For years I've known I've needed to change, but haven't had the long-term determination to make it work. I'm a single guardian to my little sister and I need to be around for her so it's really time to make these changes. I would love to befriend people who have been in similar situations, and have overcome the odds, or just someone with tips, that we can motive one another.

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm on the journey with you ..... trying to change my eating habits and walking for now .... I too have a heart condition so iveer away from diet fads(hcg, pills, hi this, low that, etc etc) and surgery alsi is risky at this point and out of the question ..... its going to be long and hard but I'm here to support you as i hope you support me!
  • bopanee
    bopanee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! Feel free to add me! You've come to the right place if you're looking for support! This site rocks! :)
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm morbidly obese, but I was able to quit smoking cold turkey 18 years ago.
  • cajunfemme
    cajunfemme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and sharing our results, tips, etc. along the way.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You have taken the hardest step..starting... add me as a friend if you want I'm a positive person and will offer support and encouragement. You can and will do this. Do it for your sister but mostly do it for yourself you are so worth the hard work it will take to meet your goals.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Good luck on this journey! You can and will succeed just Don't, Give, Up! There will be times when its tough, but thats what we are all here for, to help you through it! I've been there myself. I had says where I thought it was too tough and days when it seemed I was on top of the world. Remember, every little improvement you make is working towards your goal. Even weeks where you loose a half a pound or none...its progress!
  • GabbySlowSteady
    Options
    I'm right there with ya, honey!! I have over a hundred pounds to lose and am just starting. I'm excited! P.S. I'm in Ohio now but I grew up in Baton Rouge!
  • bigman7243
    bigman7243 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. Same goes for anyone else here. I'm on that same road have been heavy even at a young age and I could use more people on my list. Tired of seeing how no one I know is actually using the program.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started in the 360's n now in the 230's. It's a long hard journey and super tough but so rewarding....it's a process of figuring stuff out about yourself and I say it's 90 percent emotional work you gotta do to deal with issues relating to food. However it's a doable thing and the trick is to keep going , if you slip it's ok just get right back up.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the negative echo results! That is wonderful news! Feel free to add me :happy:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have 150 lbs to lose still even though I have lost 44. I just ran 1/2 a mile tonight. It can be done. Baby steps. I will be running a 5K again in March.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. i quit smoking 17 years ago when I decided to have babies. I was overweight then obese for 20 years (well, i guess I still am, 15 pounds to go to get into the 'normal' range...best of luck to you.
  • LindaVas
    LindaVas Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am on a journey to lose 100+ also.

Anyone can feel free to add me.

We got this!!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! Losing weight isn't easy but you can do it. You've got the motivation, now make it a habit. We will be with you every step of the way! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    I started at 312 and now weigh 180ish. I am 5 feet 7 inches so even now I am "overweight" but I don't really pay attention to that.
    All I did was counted calories, though I hadn't had MFP when I did this. I was on Sparkpeople.com but it is the same idea. And I did exercise. At first very light, easy stuff. I found Leslie Sanson walk away the pounds to be very low impact, approachable and I didn't have to be intimidated at a gym-I did it in my basement. I also tried Curves.
    I just kept making improvements to my diet and trying new workout dvds. If I found I couldn't do a move they were doing, I walked in place until they did something I could.
  • pugmomma1951
    pugmomma1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am morbidly obese. Down from super morbidly obese. It isn't easy, I just tell myself that it took years to put the weight on, it won't disappear over night. I am a single grandmother raising a granddaughter with a lot of mental health issues. So I can understand how hard it can be to raise a child alone. First just try short steps. Begin by taking am short walk with your little sister most days. You will be moving and gradually building your stamina. Also I didn't go on a "diet" just tried to make better choices in my eating. Which means I don't buy non-diet sodas, and tried to keep a lot of fresh fruit around. It is a slow process, but you are making the right decision to work on your weight.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    One day at time, just make small changes and they will all add up to a much healthier you!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    congratulations on taking the steps to becoming healthy so you can take care of your sister! You are an awesome person!!!! I've always been overweight since I was 5 years old and only in my adult life have I really taken a good look and realized that I have to take charge and not just think it would be nice. :)

you are in the right place! add me! I'd like to be a part of your journey and be inspired to keep working on my goals!!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Add me! I am in maintenace mode now but would love to give you all the encouragement you want.
    I'll kick your a** if you kick mine :-)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Add me if you would like.