Black Team Week #1 Challenge thread-

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Good morning, you are all an inspiration! Your pics are amazing - I don't have many pictures of me as I would always be behind the camera (i hated seeing pictures of myself and would delete them from the camera or before that throw them away). I am working this afternoon from around 12 till 4, so will go on my bike when my extra children leave. I am due to do the rowing machine today, but have a muscle twinge between my shoulder blades and don't want to pull or aggrevate anything :huh: I must also do my situps etc

I am 35 years old and have been married to Rob for 13 years. We have 4 boys, Samuel (13 in May - he's our honeymoon baby was just conceived 7 days on my wedding day!), Thomas (10 on sunday), John (5 on 18th Jan) and Christopher (2, 3 in Aug).

When Rob and I got together I was already 168lbs if not more, and I piled on another 70lbs when pregnant with Samuel, I then lost this weigh through joining weight watchers and got to 147lbs before falling pregnant with Thomas. My weight then went up to 200+, and I did the Atkins diet and got to 140lbs, but didn't look got as no exercise and as soon as i started to eat properly the weight went straight back on plus more. I then fell with John and up until last February I didn't really try to shift the weight.

What happened in February - I visited my husband who was working in NYC and he took me to Woodbury Common, and it hit home that I was big as I couldn't buy anything nice to fit me!! I was a UK size 18/20, and decided that it would be nice to be a size 14. I decided to calorie count and used a book a friend gave me and a spreadsheet I made on the computer. The weight moved a little, but when Rob went to work in Tokyo,and I found this site it just clicked. The weight doesn't seem to have shifted that fast, but the inches do as I am now wearing a size 12 which is something I never remember doing before, and have just brought some size 10 jeans (they are still snug on my thighs but I can work on that! :tongue: )

As you can probably tell my husband works away from home alot, he is out of the country probably 5-6 months of the year, in varying lengths of time (is scheduled for 2-3 months in NYC from March, and other various countries after that!). I find it easier to count my calories when he is actually away, as he is a super cook and I love his cooking!

Tanya, Welcome! I love NYC!! GOign there in March. Cant wait!!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Evening Black Team!

Donna- Sorry to hear about your losses. Golden's are beautiful dogs. My mother had a wonderful one named Dudley. She had to move into a place that could not take him and had to give him up to a rescue. He actually lives up here in Maine now with a great family on several acres. He's a happy guy bit I miss him. Running is the best! keep that going!

Kati- That elevator tale is hilarious. Sorry I know it must have been scary. I never take elevators at hotels when I travel anymore. not because they scare me but because I love jogging up the stairs. lol

Sam-Awesome dress, you look great. and don't sweat the sweets. You more than made up for it! lol

Jeannie- They are right. Your support and love spread far beyond the confines of this team. You reach ALOT of people on MFP.

Bobbi-Weather sucks. I hear you. But you still got some time on the bike so that shows dedication! and FYI and I working on my swim technigue. Chest down! Butt up! stay long in the water! stay long!

Roni-Your story is EPIC and your son is amazing.

Retrobaby-Need a real name to put to the face! Way to go on that workout. enjoying that runners high I see. Way to kick some butt!

Feeling good after a good work out. Ran 5k and got some good strength training in. This isnt much of a story but something somewhat interesting happened at the gym. After my workout I was sitting on the floor doing stretches when another frequent gym rat that I have had a couple of conversations with came over and and grabbed the pull up bar next to me and ripped through 10 pull ups. When he was done he looked over and gave the old "how's it going" nod. So I said, "awesome job man. I can't even pull off one of those." He said "yes you can. get up there and give it a shot." I admit it's been a while since I tried. But like so many of us often do, I was placing mental limits on what I was capable of. So I jumped up grabbed the bar and gave it a shot. 5 pull ups later I was back on the floor grinning from ear to ear. He said "when you said you can't do one, did you mean you can't do just one because you love them so much?" I laughed and said that was the first five pull ups I have ever done in my life." he said "Just don't let it be the last five." So here I am at the gym with the same people I see every night. All this guys has seen of me is hours on the treadmill and weight after weight lifted. He's seen me shrink 125 lbs in the last year. He didnt even see the personal struggles overcome, the duathlons and road races run. I know better than anyone else on this earth what I have accomplished yet I didnt believe I could do a pull up. And here he was so certain that I was wrong. This is what we do to ourselves people. We cripple ourselves with doubt, insecurity and fear of failure. It is just as important in this journey to lose what is weighing down our MINDS as it is to lose what is weighing down our bodies. Each and every one of you is capable of great things, greater things than you give yourself credit for. Go forth my friends and do your "Pull up".

:drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Evening Black Team!

Donna- Sorry to hear about your losses. Golden's are beautiful dogs. My mother had a wonderful one named Dudley. She had to move into a place that could not take him and had to give him up to a rescue. He actually lives up here in Maine now with a great family on several acres. He's a happy guy bit I miss him. Running is the best! keep that going!

Kati- That elevator tale is hilarious. Sorry I know it must have been scary. I never take elevators at hotels when I travel anymore. not because they scare me but because I love jogging up the stairs. lol

Sam-Awesome dress, you look great. and don't sweat the sweets. You more than made up for it! lol

Jeannie- They are right. Your support and love spread far beyond the confines of this team. You reach ALOT of people on MFP.

Bobbi-Weather sucks. I hear you. But you still got some time on the bike so that shows dedication! and FYI and I working on my swim technigue. Chest down! Butt up! stay long in the water! stay long!

Retrobaby-Need a real name to put to the face! Way to go on that workout. enjoying that runners high I see. Way to kick some butt!

Feeling good after a good work out. Ran 5k and got some good strength training in. This isnt much of a story but something somewhat interesting happened at the gym. After my workout I was sitting on the floor doing stretches when another frequent gym rat that I have had a couple of conversations with came over and and grabbed the pull up bar next to me and ripped through 10 pull ups. When he was done he looked over and gave the old "how's it going" nod. So I said, "awesome job man. I can't even pull off one of those." He said "yes you can. get up there and give it a shot." I admit it's been a while since I tried. But like so many of us often do, I was placing mental limits on what I was capable of. So I jumped up grabbed the bar and gave it a shot. 5 pull ups later I was back on the floor grinning from ear to ear. He said "when you said you can't do one, did you mean you can't do just one because you love them so much?" I laughed and said that was the first five pull ups I have ever done in my life." he said "Just don't let it be the last five." So here I am at the gym with the same people I see every night. All this guys has seen of me is hours on the treadmill and weight after weight lifted. He's seen me shrink 125 lbs in the last year. He didnt even see the personal struggles overcome, the duathlons and road races run. I know better than anyone else on this earth what I have accomplished yet I didnt believe I could do a pull up. And here he was so certain that I was wrong. This is what we do to ourselves people. We cripple ourselves with doubt, insecurity and fear of failure. It is just as important in this journey to lose what is weighing down our MINDS as it is to lose what is weighing down our bodies. Each and every one of you is capable of great things, greater things than you give yourself credit for. Go forth my friends and do your "Pull up".

Andrew, you are so right! I was thinking about this just today when I was running and thought if my mind would think it could do what my body knows it could do, it would be so much better. WTG on the pull-ups, you rock!!!! I recently figured out I could do regular push-ups and was absolutely elated so I know the feeling. I also sorry to hear about your mouth, OWWW!!!!
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    Amanda- Thanks dear. The throat wound is feeling much better. a 5k run is the best medicine. lol Time to hit the hay. Goodnight black team!

:flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Okay, I just found the coolest pic of me. It was taken last December at my starting weight in my underclothes. I can't believe the size of my stomach, it makes me realize I have came a long ways baby. Even though I am in my underwear when I get to my goal weight I am going to post that pic with a new pic in regular clothes. Embarassed I will be, but it symbolizes breaking free of my unhealthy life. Here is to a healthy life for us all!! :drinker:

we will figure out how to photoshop them so it looks like a bathing suit!!

Jeannie, I :heart: you, you know! I would so appreciate it if somebody could help me figure that out. The underclothes aren't skimpy, but with men on here I would really prefer not to post them. HOWEVER, I think it will so show how far I have come and when you see the pic you will understand what I mean. HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • teeneu
    teeneu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by the stories I"ve read today! Very inspirational! Everyone looks fantastic.

I'll jump in w/ my story. My name is Terry. I live in Michigan and I've been married for 10 years. I have three boys that are 9, 7 and 3. I work full time teaching 2nd grade at a small public school.

I'm new to the team, but I'm not new to weight loss. I've been overweight most of my life. Before I got married in 1999, I started working out regularly at a gym and watching what I ate and I dropped to about 165, I couldn't ever get lower than that.

I got pregnant fairly quickly and gained about 70+ pounds. I ended up weighing 250 by the time I had my first son. Then I got pregnant about a year or so later, I only had lost about 30 pounds by that time and of course gained most of it back. After my second son was born I started back to Weight Watchers and went down til around 180 pounds. Then I I got pregnant with my third (and final) son and gained some of it back, but thankfully not all.

One of my sons has dealt with some serious anxiety/anger issues over the past 3 years that have taken over a large part of our life and weight loss was put on the back burner. About a year or so ago when I was 226 pounds I was ready to start taking time for myself so I started working out regularly. I started the Couch to 5K running program which I love. After I my weight loss slowed down I started monitoring my food and continued to lose weight, but now I've been 192-188 pounds for the last 6 months or so and when January hit I was ready to finally get going again and get back to a healthy weight.

I am having a hard time w/ the water just because I don't have access to a restroom except during a special so I'm drinking my 8 glasses once I get home, which has messed up my sleeping, but I'm doing it! That was the hardest challenge for me this week.

Thanks for welcoming me to the team!
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Evening Black Team!

Hey Andrew,
    Thanks for all of your encouragement. You put a lot of hard work into the Black Team and I appreciate all of your efforts. You are truly devoted to weight loss and sharing your story helps inspire others like myself. I'm not new to running or losing weight,but after having 2 kids it has been a struggle to make it all "click". So, I'm so happy to be a part of a group that encourages and holds one another accountable.
    Thanks again,
    ~Jan (name to a face...lol)
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Terry, welcome and glad you are here. Thanks for sharing your story. :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Hi Jan! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Amanda- Thanks dear. The throat wound is feeling much better. a 5k run is the best medicine. lol Time to hit the hay. Goodnight black team!

:flowerforyou:

ARGH!! JUmping up on that 1 foot stool....I CANNOT DO THIS. I refuse. I will not.

I did it. Only thing holding me back was me!

I am so proud of you my brother!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am amazed by the stories I"ve read today! Very inspirational! Everyone looks fantastic.

I'll jump in w/ my story. My name is Terry. I live in Michigan and I've been married for 10 years. I have three boys that are 9, 7 and 3. I work full time teaching 2nd grade at a small public school.

I'm new to the team, but I'm not new to weight loss. I've been overweight most of my life. Before I got married in 1999, I started working out regularly at a gym and watching what I ate and I dropped to about 165, I couldn't ever get lower than that.

I got pregnant fairly quickly and gained about 70+ pounds. I ended up weighing 250 by the time I had my first son. Then I got pregnant about a year or so later, I only had lost about 30 pounds by that time and of course gained most of it back. After my second son was born I started back to Weight Watchers and went down til around 180 pounds. Then I I got pregnant with my third (and final) son and gained some of it back, but thankfully not all.

One of my sons has dealt with some serious anxiety/anger issues over the past 3 years that have taken over a large part of our life and weight loss was put on the back burner. About a year or so ago when I was 226 pounds I was ready to start taking time for myself so I started working out regularly. I started the Couch to 5K running program which I love. After I my weight loss slowed down I started monitoring my food and continued to lose weight, but now I've been 192-188 pounds for the last 6 months or so and when January hit I was ready to finally get going again and get back to a healthy weight.

I am having a hard time w/ the water just because I don't have access to a restroom except during a special so I'm drinking my 8 glasses once I get home, which has messed up my sleeping, but I'm doing it! That was the hardest challenge for me this week.

Welcome Terry! I started timing my water because I am on the road a lot. I get up and drink 8 oz before anything else. while putting on makeup 4-8 oz...and I have a big glass poured in the kitchen next to my coffee. you would be surprised how 2-4 oz builds up over the day.

20 min before lunch, grab a bottle.
    Have one in the car waiting for the drive home.

So now we are up to 4 8 oz bottles and got the whole night!!

I am so glad to see you here!! :heart:
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I will share my story this afternoon..

Note to self: "Your body does not like red meat anymore, been eating the right way for far to long"

My DH said hey your have worked really hard this week, so lets go get a cheeseburger, I agreed my kids are out of school on a snow day I wanted to spend time with them, and not worry about my weighing of food, because it effect my 5 yr old. So I said I would go split a cheeseburger with DD and then go to the movies with them and share a small popcorn between 4 people..and I dont drink coke so thats no big deal. I went to red robin, ordered a bacon cheeseburger, asked my DD if she was ready for hers and she said NO I am not eating that. I made my DH cut it in 2 portion, 1/4 and 3/4, as I knew my DS would eat the bigger part for lunch today. I tooka bout 3 bites out of the burger and low and behold, I had to leave...needless to say I never made it to the movies....which probably saved me a few hundred calories, but on the other hand I didnt get to spend time with my babies. I was in the bed at 4pm.

You guys know that the weekends are my long days, so I will be on here later if not to tired, we probably wont be busy today the roads are slick and everyone freaks out here.

Everyone also knows that I get up every morning before work and hit the gym, well on the weekends I cant becasue they are not open before I have to go to work..So I thought hmmm I could get up at 4 am and do my Jillian Micheals 30 day shred, not quite as many calories as I am used to burning in the morning, but more calories burned had I just stayed in bed until it was time for me to go to work.

SO here it is Level 2 158 calories burned, at least I was working different muscles then I would have a gotten on a machine..

Well off to weigh my food and I am hitting the gym as soon as I get off so...I will chat with ya'll lavely people later....and repond to posts..
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Morning, nice to read peoples stories and posts.

Sorry to hear that you burnt yourself andrew, I tend to nod and grunt and then apologise when the waitress/waiter comes back when I have an empty mouth!! :tongue:

Well i have done 40 minutes on the bike this morning, and had my first shower on my own for ages!! My 2 year old sees shower time as a free for all, and he usually joins me :grumble: Burnt nearly 700 calories and still have to walk to the supermarket and take ds3 to a birthday party this afternoon. Got to leave home at 2pm for a 3pm party, as the snow and ice are going to make pushing my hefty (over 2 stone but in proportion) 2 year old in the buggy and getting the 4 year to cooperate and walk!!
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options

Terry- Glad you're a newbie with me! Congrats on keeping up with the water. I travel with 3 1 liter Deer Park waters to get my water in. It is always in my sight and I find it easier to consume...plus that Andrew seems like he is going to be a ballbuster if I don't stick to the challenge LOL :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Tri_Dad
    Options

Wow, what a busy gal. Hey if the water is messing up you sleep you can ease up. I never want a challenge to take away from somone's rest.

• Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Today was not a good day. Sugar got a hold of me. I had 1 hershey kiss and 1 cake bon bon. stopped there though. I felt so bad that I did a Wii cardio workout. 1 hour 20 minutes 450 calories burned. now I am off to bed. exhausted!!!

Night everyone!!

YIKES! I have to admit that it got a hold of me to last night and Im not even a sweet-eater!:ohwell: I was at the store with one of my boys and I saw they had the candy cane creme OREOS marked down to get rid of. You should have seen Alex's face when I put not 1, but 3 packages of them in my cart:laugh: He said "uh Mom, what are you doing?? We dont eat that stuff". And get this one...I told him I was only buying them because it was a great deal and I just cant pass up a great deal!:laugh: :laugh:

So, I kept walking around the long way to avoid looking at the cookies on the table...I caved. I had 4:ohwell: Doesnt sound like much til you look at the serving size and nutrition info. Turns out only 2 of those little rascals were a serving:noway: So I had 2 servings:embarassed:

I gave the rest of those evil things to a neighbor kid:laugh:
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Yeah, so in my long book I didn't put the before/after pics.

Spring/Summer 2002
    n25807672_30487859_1346.jpg

December 31, 2009
    19554_273699261223_706031223_487974.jpg

P.S. No, my boyfriend does not have an old man looking 'fro with a huge forehead. The wall hanging behind him has a giant tree in it.

I cant believe I forgot to tell you how wonderful you look Shuntae! I know your young anyway....but I swear I think you look even younger in your after pic! You've done amazing:drinker:
  • Nonibug
    Options
    19554_273699261223_706031223_487974.jpg

P.S. No, my boyfriend does not have an old man looking 'fro with a huge forehead. The wall hanging behind him has a giant tree in it.

Hahahahahahaha I was totally thinking when did he get all that hair? then I said eeeewwwwww she wouldn't date a guy like that!

I think it looks like Egyptian hair, like something you'd see on a painting. LOL!

I think he should rock that hair-do for realz.

It's awesome! Might start a trend!

goofy.jpg

OMGosh!! You really are to much!!:laugh: I just read your potato incident and now THIS?? I think Beth must have lost a large percentage of her weight laughing at you:laugh: :laugh:
  • Nonibug
    Options
    12-09to1-10053-1.jpg

WARNING!!! I am about to toot my own horn!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Look at those HOT LEGS!!! WOO WOO!!!!

Hell to the YEAH!!! WOOT!!!

Yeah Sam, what Jeannie said!! You look great! And I love the dress:smile:
  • Nonibug
    Options
    :smile:

Sam I attribut the last 10 pounds soley to you and this team. Your hard work in posting all our weights, and setting up the thread each week, is what kept me thinking Healthy. Thank you for the bottom of my (lowercholesteral) heart

You look FABulous and amaze me with your workouts!! :heart: :smooched: :heart:

i agree! all that hard work you put into this team has gotten us to where we are today. thank you for starting a biggest loser challenge a year ago. and thank you for being there with us every step of the way :flowerforyou:

I wanna jump in and throw my Thank you out to Sam, too:smile: I think I can attribute about 80 lbs of my loss to Sam and the Black Team! You were the great fearless leader!!:flowerforyou:

And thanks again to Andrew for leading us now:flowerforyou: