What broke your camel

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    A call from the doctor: "Is there any history of diabetes in you family? There is now."
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Dear husband mentioned that perhaps it was time to get my engagement and wedding rings resized. I've not been able to wear them since a couple months before baby#3 was born and she is now two years old!!! His comment finally made me realize that the weight was not going to magically fall off by itself.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    My co-worker and friend started Weight Watchers. Silly as it sounds, I didn't want to be left out.

I can't afford weight watchers so I searched around and found MFP.
    She started WW a couple weeks before I started MFP. She's lost 10 pounds and a couple inches, I've lost 15 pounds and one inch more than her around the waist. I want her to do well and be happy too, honestly I do, but there is a part of me that feels really good knowing that I'm doing so well while she struggles. That sounds terrible doesn't it! But we've talked about it multiple times, I've told her what I'm doing that's different. It's almost turned into a competition for me, not between her and I, but more between different methods.

So now, 3 months after starting my journey, I'm feeling good and people are noticing the weight loss and body changes, so it motivates me to keep going!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    It wasn't a huge deciding factor, but it was the most interesting one that made me change.

My grandma (being the blunt lovable woman that she is), pretty much told me I was a fatty.

I remember thinking, "Wow if my grandma thinks I am fat, and had the nerve to tell me, then I must really be".

Again, wasn't my biggest motivator, but one of them.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    One of my best friends wanted to lose so bad & she wanted sum1 to do it with her, so after like a week of begging I finally agreed. She was miserable & I hated seeing her feel that way. If me doing it with her would help, then I could do it. I didn't figure it would hurt me. I was pretty fat. That's been a yr ago & still going. No turning back now.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Seeing photos of myself on vacation, just skin and bones...yuck. Then finally quitting smoking and needing a distraction!
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    two words: double chin. I looked in the mirror one day and was like "holy *kitten*". That wasn't the me I recognized, or even liked. I let ending an engagement, quitting school for financial reasons, and moving back in with the parents turn me into a wreck, physically and emotionally.

I could handle the scale saying I had gained 40 lbs in 9 months.... but what I can no longer handle is that double chin and all it reminds me of.
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    I gained wayyy to much weight during my pregnancy...I didn't like the feeling of being weighed down. I don't like the constant fatigue of alll this fat on my body. When I was younger I was much more active. I need to get back to that place.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Missing my New Years Resolution of not running a half marathon in 2012. But there's still time to get to the second half of that resolution: full marathon in 2013!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    My teenage daughter told me "you're not THAT fat" Nobody had ever said that word to me before.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Seeing a number on the scale that was only 5.2 pounds less than what I weighed when I gave birth to my second child and realizing that I had gained 40 pounds in less than a year. I am just sick and tired of being fat. I want to be able to run around with my kids and not feel crappy. I also want my knees to hurt less and to be able to wear tank tops in public without shame.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    1st Terrible horrifying pictures of me with barely a neck and then 2nd a family friend outting me at a company christmas party in front of everyone that I was the fattest youngest person in the room and I should be ashamed and get myself thin the whole youd be so pretty if you werent so fat bit... I was 27. It was humiliating, but she was so right - it may not have been the best way to go about it, but if your willing to listening sometimes tough love is the best medicine..1.5 years later I had dropped 110lbs.

I gained about 30back and I never wanted to see that TWO again, so I tried on my own for a bit then joined MFP. now headed towards my ultimate goal.. a healthy BF% and to feel good.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    For me, it's hitting the 200 mark on the scale and seeing the fat photos of me. I look awful in photos and there is only so much cropping one can do to look good. I have outgrown most of my clothes and I am tired of wearing larger and larger sizes. If I am going to keep buying clothes, I want to get smaller sizes, not larger. I have wanted to lose weight for a long time but lacked motivation. Now, I AM motivated! I want to like what I see in the mirror and be able to find clothes that fit me. I want to feel attractive again! MFP has helped a lot so far and I've already lost 6 lbs in less than 2 weeks, even on days I was over on my calories. The support here is great too.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Sitting on the couch New Year's Eve and finding my "fat pants" rather snug, and I really didn't want to go out and buy a ton of new clothing and just adjust to the new size. Started my diet the day after New Year's and working out regularly a month after that.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    About 3 weeks ago I was in the middle of a pity party for myself. I had been making a halfass attempt this summer to get in shape and eat better, and shockingly, it wasn't working. Which, in that moment, was everyone else's fault (and especially his. It's his fault that I see him sitting with a beer in hand and want to join him rather than going to the gym like I had planned). He looked at me and told me that I didn't want it bad enough.

That was it. I ended the pity party and decided to show him just how motivated I could be. Plus, we're going on a cruise in January and I really want to rock a bikini. :bigsmile:
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    I was suffering from severe sleep apnea at over 350 lbs. I had just taken a job in a new department and got caught sleeping on the job. I was lucky I didn't lose my job that day. That was one of the final straws where I had had enough.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Christmas photos.... I had a full on double chin and looked like a fleshy blob in my grey coat lol.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    When I realized I was the same size as my two older sisters who never lost their baby weight....and I've never been pregnant. Oh and a horrid picture from my boyfriend's sister's graduation. SCARY!! Down 10 lbs, although I'm only down 1 lb according to mfp...I bought a new scale after I joined and had to adjust my weight which just motivated me even more because it was even higher...ugh.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    It all added up. Gaining year after year while working so hard and running marathon after marathon (I learned that you can't out exercise too much food (no matter how healthy) and the smaller you are (shorter) the less you get to eat and it's not fair! LOL

Anyway, I was over weight but could run circles around the guys when I went through the police academy at age 45. I was pretty proud of it and determined to lose weight, but to my horror I kept gaining no matter how much I worked out. Finally 3 years ago (wearing the bigger size uniform) my patrol partner and I were taking someone to jail and the guy in the backseat called me a fat *kitten* the whole way to the jail. My partner said "That's not very nice!" LOL But it was true! That was the last straw for me! It took me two years and simply learning to eat less. It's a harder lesson for us smaller people because all this crap about needing 1200 calories simply does not apply to us when we are so small! That is barely above my full of muscle RMR! When you have fat reserves when you are a 5'1" female 1200 is not even a real deficit! I ate one meal a day and my doctor said I was fine. He watched me for two years and checked my blood work and he said it was awesome and I was as healthy as ever. My full story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    My hubbys shock at coming home after a year and seeing that i had gained 40 pounds he was a little mad i hadnt taken care of myself