Would I classify ____________ as water?

Options
This might be a stupid questions so don't attack people...just a simple question.

Why would anyone classify anything OTHER than water as water? Like what is the point? Milk has cals and fat water doesn't therefore it in not water? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I just ate two boxes of Raisinettes. Logged it as water.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know in weight watchers we could count decaf herbal tea (without anything in it of course) towards water. I don't do it on here though, but I don't think it would matter if you did.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The milk thread was a joke.

Other folks that ask about unsweetened tea and coffee I could see how some people could log that if they really felt the need.

Personally, unless it's just plain water, I don't log it as water. But I've also been drinking almost nothing but water for the last five years just because it's my preference anyway, so drinking 18-21 cups of water a day for me is just normal and I don't even have to think about it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

I think the point is that the people are trying to achieve proper hydration, which can be done without pure water. Hopefully said people are still logging the milk as food to count the calories, but they're wondering if they can get hydration from it as well. I don't think they're delusionally thinking that if they 'count' it as water it doesn't have calories.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't but I don't track my water. I have beverages added to my list so I can track the nutrition and calories.
    But there are some that have a focus on water/fluid amounts. So if they want to have 8 cups off fluid that can be accomplished with putting it on the water total. They can also log it on their food chart but count it also in the water to know they are getting their fluid count.
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The problem is there is a huge misunderstanding between water intake and total daily fluid intake.

Total daily fluid intake includes all sources of fluid. IE water, milk, pop, soup, fruits, etc.
    Water intake = water
  • Salvationwarrior
    Options
    What about adding MIO to water?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

I think the point is that the people are trying to achieve proper hydration, which can be done without pure water. Hopefully said people are still logging the milk as food to count the calories, but they're wondering if they can get hydration from it as well. I don't think they're delusionally thinking that if they 'count' it as water it doesn't have calories.

^^this
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

^^Smart lady
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends what your reason for classifying it is.
    Who cares?

^ this. Your body doesn't care if the water you take in is mixed with other things, it still uses the water for hydration. Just like it doesn't care if you eat protein mixed with carbs at the same time. It's pretty good at breaking down everything we eat and making good use of the individual components.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP:

People looking for excuses not to make changes to their lifestyle will ask "Can I log XXXX as water?"

Just like folks looking to make excuses not to change will ask "Can I log making dinner as cardio?"

That's why.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

Hey! This...(how you say?)...logic has no place on the MFP forums.

Move along.

ETA: But seriously, I still say the bigger question is, why are people still drinking water to achieve an arbitrary goal? Eight is not a magic number. If you're counting non-water drinks as water but you're peeing dark yellow, you need to try a different approach. If you're peeing clear or light yellow, then sure, keep doing what you're doing.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The problem is there is a huge misunderstanding between water intake and total daily fluid intake.

Total daily fluid intake includes all sources of fluid. IE water, milk, pop, soup, fruits, etc.
    Water intake = water

Hydration level affected by: total daily fluid intake
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP:

People looking for excuses not to make changes to their lifestyle will ask "Can I log XXXX as water?"

Just like folks looking to make excuses not to change will ask "Can I log making dinner as cardio?"

That's why.

You clearly don't understand hydration vs. logging calories and think somehow, they are connected.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    I drank a 40 of "water" over the weekend..... that counts, right?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    This might be a stupid questions so don't attack people...just a simple question.

Why would anyone classify anything OTHER than water as water? Like what is the point? Milk has cals and fat water doesn't therefore it in not water? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Because all liquids are 99%+ water. Unless there is something in it that somehow causes the body to not absorb the water or some really strong diuretic in it, the water is still used by the body once the contaminants have been successfully filtered out.

I mean, your tap water has small amounts of things like flouride and possibly chlorine in it. If you have a water softening machine, your water has sodium in it. You count those as water, right? So what's the difference if someone else dilutes the water another 5 thousandths of a percent by soaking a tea bag in it for 5 minutes?

The importance is the hydrating effect of the fluid, as offset by any effect anything in the water might have. Regular coffee is fine - the diuretic effect is negligible. Espresso or Turkish Coffee probably shouldn't count because the diuretic effect of the caffeine starts to become significant.

The whole point is to make sure your body is well hydrated. If your body can use something as water, it should count as water.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

^^Pretty much.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    I classify Tequila as water. 8 cups a day right?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    LMAO!:laugh: :laugh: