Would I classify ____________ as water?

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I classify Tequila as water. 8 cups a day right?

HA HA HA.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Human Blood?
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if you log your coffee or diet coke as water, then i'm logging vodka as water.

only fair.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Miller 64 is water and I don't care what evidence you use to refute that... It's wrong.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

only fair.

And....time for the obtuse 'funny' comments.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP:

People looking for excuses not to make changes to their lifestyle will ask "Can I log XXXX as water?"

Just like folks looking to make excuses not to change will ask "Can I log making dinner as cardio?"

That's why.
    That would be me then. Clearly incapable of making positive changes to my lifestyle. Thanks for drawing this to my attention.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    People can count whatever they want as water.

They can count cleaning or walking to the bathroom as exercise.

It's their body and their weight loss/fitness journey--they have full control over it.

However, it seems to be those same sorts of people who show back up in the forums whining about how they're not losing weight.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For WW, as long as it is liquid and has no calories, it counts...water or not. Plain water is disgusting!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    People can count whatever they want as water.

They can count cleaning or walking to the bathroom as exercise.

It's their body and their weight loss/fitness journey--they have full control over it.

However, it seems to be those same sorts of people who show back up in the forums whining about how they're not losing weight.
    So you're saying that I can count taking out the garage as exercise now too?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I classify Tequila as water. 8 cups a day right?
    Absolutely, but don't forget the diuretic effect of the alcohol. An 8-ounce glass of tequila or any other strong alcoholic drink will cause you to lose about a quart of water, so you'll need to drink an extra quart of water for every 8 ounces of tequila.

You can drink that quart in tequila, but you start to see the problem after you go a couple of generations with that and you're up to 8 quarts of tequila meaning 64 more quarts of hydration... Do you see the math problem?

Yeah, you have to be pretty wealthy to afford the good stuff at that point.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

only fair.

simply answering her question. don't understand what's "obtuse" about that.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    So you're saying that I can count taking out the garage as exercise now too?

No, carrying a garage is strength training <snare drum>
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

only fair.

Ohhhhh. Obtuse.

Gettin' all smart n' stuff.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If one could only become adequately hydrated drinking only pure water, I'd be dead. There's been times in my life where soda was my only beverage.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I count drinks with calories under my food to track the nutrition. I track any plain water as water. If I have a frappucino I do not have one less glass of water in a day because of it. I still try to drink water all day regardless of whatever water I am getting from other beverages or foods.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    water is water is water.

if its not water, then why would you log it as water?

can i log a full rack of ribs as grilled chicken? they're both meat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

Presumably, if you put sauce on the chicken, it's no longer chicken?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    water is water is water.

Hydration has nothing to do with calorie counting, but thanks for playing along.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just ate two boxes of Raisinettes. Logged it as water.

i just drove back to work from my lunch break. logged it as water.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

only fair.

Count what you want. It's your diary. But science says the basis for your comparison is ridiculous.

The simple fact is, however, that coffee and diet coke do not contain enough caffeine to have a significant diuretic effect to offset the benefits of the water.

One 8 ounce cup of black coffee contains 8 ounces of water and approximately 100 grams of caffeine (anywhere between about 40-200 depending on brew and strength, but 100 is a good baseline number). You'd need to have about 500mg at least to have a measurable diuretic effect at all, and the effect is not terribly pronounced even at high doses.

In addition, if you're a regular coffee drinker, your body has already built a tolerance to its diuretic effect.

So you can literally meet your body's hydration needs by drinking nothing but regular black coffee, though you'd need to drink an extra 2-3 8 ounce glasses to offset the diuretic effect of the pretty massive dose of caffeine, and the other side effects of the caffeine wouldn't be fun.

Vodka has a MUCH higher percentage of straight alcohol than coffee has of caffeine, so anything over about 20 proof (10% alcohol) has a negligible hydrating effect, and anything over about 40 proof (20% alcohol) actually dehydrates you more than it hydrates you (the diuretic effect exceeds the amount of water you are taking in as part of the beverage).