Would I classify ____________ as water?

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

if its not water, then why would you log it as water?

can i log a full rack of ribs as grilled chicken? they're both meat.

Hydration has nothing to do with calorie counting, but thanks for playing along.

you're missing the point.

logging water has everything to do with logging water. not logging something that isn't water.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

Hydration has nothing to do with calorie counting, but thanks for playing along.

logging water has everything to do with logging water. not logging something that isn't water.
    but you do understand the point of logging water, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    if you log your coffee or diet coke as water, then i'm logging vodka as water.

only fair.

And....time for the obtuse 'funny' comments.

I like to think of my type of humor as being acute. (But it still isn't right.)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

The whole reason for logging water is to make sure that your body is adequately hydrated. Your body doesn't care if it gets water in its purest form or not.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

only fair.
    vodka looks like water so i will log it also
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

Very little of the stuff you consider "water" is pure water. Most of it contains small amounts of flouride, chlorine, iron, etc. Unless you are manufacturing it yourself using pure molecules of hydrogen and oxygen, it's got non-water stuff in it. Those small amounts of contaminants do not have any effect on the hydration properties of the water...

...and neither do other contaminants such as straining the water through coffee beans, adding sugar and cola syrup to it, etc.

Water is water is water, and you can add things to it and it doesn't magically change the water component of the fluid to something other than water.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

No, but you can count the chicken as both water and corn, too, since the chicken drank water and ate corn...
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I classify water as water. I know other things hold water, but it just doesn't seem right to classify anything else as water BUT water. Teas and Coffees are tracked as teas and coffees in my diary.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

Logging water has everything to do with making sure your body is receiving enough hydration to operate efficiently. Water does not have to be absolutely pure in order to have hydration benefits to the body.

If you choose to use the water counter as a pure exercise in measuring only pure water, fine. But that's not the only way to get proper hydration into your body, and someone who uses it to count milk, coffee, soda, etc are (as long as they are also counting any calories that come in their liquids) using it just as "properly" as you are.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It depends what your reason for classifying it is.
    Who cares?

I think the point is that the people are trying to achieve proper hydration, which can be done without pure water. Hopefully said people are still logging the milk as food to count the calories, but they're wondering if they can get hydration from it as well. I don't think they're delusionally thinking that if they 'count' it as water it doesn't have calories.

^ this. Your body doesn't care if the water you take in is mixed with other things, it still uses the water for hydration. Just like it doesn't care if you eat protein mixed with carbs at the same time. It's pretty good at breaking down everything we eat and making good use of the individual components.

amen to this!.. I have asked this a few times to a couple doctors, yes, I can log milk, coffee, tea, juice and even soda as water.
    What if you are not in a marathon just to see how many liters you drink everyday?, what if you just wanna hydrate yourself and make your skin looks better?... btw, my skin looks hella greeeat now!, no more make up! :smile: and yes, ive been counting as water the list I wrote.
    So if ppl wanna log it as water, they can.. if you dont cause you feel super duper amazing for drinking 5 gallons of pure water a day, then do it, to each their own, period.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Beer is water. I won't take no for an answer.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Only thing I log as water is water or green tea (I drink it plain). If we recorded everything that has water to our water, we'd be having to find the water content in fruits and veggies and everything else.

I would also count flavor water as water too because it's hard for some people to adjust. Just be sure to add the calories of the flavoring if you do.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Would I classify ___Patron_________ as water?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

only fair.

And....time for the obtuse 'funny' comments.

I like to think of my type of humor as being acute. (But it still isn't right.)
    Well played
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    People can count whatever they want as water.

They can count cleaning or walking to the bathroom as exercise.

It's their body and their weight loss/fitness journey--they have full control over it.

However, it seems to be those same sorts of people who show back up in the forums whining about how they're not losing weight.
    So you're saying that I can count taking out the garage as exercise now too?
    Wonder women is on MFP!! OMG she can take out the garage!! lol That sure is exercise if ever there was one lol

Yes on WW there are people who count doing dishes and taking out garbage as exercise. Personally I only count things I don't normally do on a daily basis or should say what I do now that does not include house hold daily chores as exercise. Walking, biking, if I was to dig up my entire yard or do massive amounts of yard work that I normally would not do etc.

And yes many on WW do log their tea as water but I only log water as water. I drink 2 cups of coffee per day black with 1 splenda and the rest of the day I only drink water. Always have always will. I don't like sweet drinks of any kind. If i want flavoring to my water I add a lemon wedge. I don't even like those no calorie powder things or fruit juices. Give me a big tall icy glass of water over a sweet drink any day.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I just drank 32oz of Crystal Light. I don't understand why I have to pee so bad now...
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I would log most liquids as water except those that contain caffine this dehydtares so for any one cup of coffee you should drink another 1/5 cup of water or non caffinated beverage.

If it is milk count the calories but also the fluid.

Oh of course alcohol does not count :drinker:
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really individual thing. People make their own choices according to what their health goals are- some people might be trying to swap from diet drinks, for example.

I'm really bad at drinking. I don't recognise thirst, and a big part of this journey for me has been realising that half the time I'm not hungry, I'm thirsty.

Personally, I added an extra meal in, as 'drinks'. I log all drinks except water there. Tea, herbal tea, diet coke, alcohol..anything that passes my lips that's liquid. Then I count only water in the water section.

This way, if I haven't had any water all day, I can think, Oh, it's a really cold day and I had 5 herbal teas, and I can also see how many sneaky cals get in from alcohol, tea, coffee, starbucks etc!

HTH- My diary is open.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

I think the point is that the people are trying to achieve proper hydration, which can be done without pure water. Hopefully said people are still logging the milk as food to count the calories, but they're wondering if they can get hydration from it as well. I don't think they're delusionally thinking that if they 'count' it as water it doesn't have calories.

I guess I just didn't understand it was my mistake for not actually reading the thread but just seeing a lot trend. I didn't realize they were counting it towards hydration, I just thought they meant as water PERIOD. Like I said dummy question on my part as a result of me being a lazy *kitten* :)
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would log most liquids as water except those that contain caffine this dehydtares so for any one cup of coffee you should drink another 1/5 cup of water or non caffinated beverage.

If it is milk count the calories but also the fluid.

Oh of course alcohol does not count :drinker:

I log EVERYTHING that is not water. I don't log water just because ik how much I drink :) But I log milk, oj, v8 juice....everything