Would I classify ____________ as water?

Options

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I dont bother logging any liquids anymore. I just drink what I want and not care
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    water is water is water.

if its not water, then why would you log it as water?

can i log a full rack of ribs as grilled chicken? they're both meat.

Hydration has nothing to do with calorie counting, but thanks for playing along.

you're missing the point.

logging water has everything to do with logging water. not logging something that isn't water.

No, I think it is you who misses the whole point of logging water. It obviously has no calories, therefore the point is hydration...items that contain calories obviously should be counted towards your calorie goals...which has NOTHING to do with the water ticker, designed to ensure a good level of hydration.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you choose to use the water counter as a pure exercise in measuring only pure water, fine. But that's not the only way to get proper hydration into your body, and someone who uses it to count milk, coffee, soda, etc are (as long as they are also counting any calories that come in their liquids) using it just as "properly" as you are.

WRONG. because those items do not come close to hydrating as well as water does, if at all. that's why its a "water tracker". not a "liquids tracker".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you choose to use the water counter as a pure exercise in measuring only pure water, fine. But that's not the only way to get proper hydration into your body, and someone who uses it to count milk, coffee, soda, etc are (as long as they are also counting any calories that come in their liquids) using it just as "properly" as you are.

WRONG. because those items do not come close to hydrating as well as water does, if at all. that's why its a "water tracker". not a "liquids tracker".

How do you work that one out?. Seems like the Mayo clinic and other respected establishments of that ilk thing its RIGHT.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I classify water as water. I know other things hold water, but it just doesn't seem right to classify anything else as water BUT water. Teas and Coffees are tracked as teas and coffees in my diary.

I agree, that is what I was confused about.. I understand hydration and other things hydrate but I thought people were asking if they could just log it on their ticker as water. Silly me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Any reliable sources to back that statement up? Just curious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I dont bother logging any liquids anymore. I just drink what I want and not care

Me too, I never track liquids.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You should really only consider h2O as water.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that I can count taking out the garage as exercise now too?

No, carrying a garage is strength training <snare drum>
    OKay well I looked and didn't see "taking out the garbage" under the strength exercises, but I'm betting I burned close to 200 calories, so I'm going to log that. Also, I over microwaved my chicken just now and had to push down really hard on the knife to cut it, so there's another 100 cals burned right there.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Science says otherwise. Believe what you'd like.
  • KittieLea
    Options
    I just ate two boxes of Raisinettes. Logged it as water.

i just drove back to work from my lunch break. logged it as water.
    This seriously made me LOL.
  • nfrederick86
    Options
    I'm new here, but when I see the words "Water Consumption", I assume you are only supposed to put how much WATER you drank that day. But who know's maybe I'm just stupid.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

How do you work that one out?. Seems like the Mayo clinic and other respected establishments of that ilk thing its RIGHT.

i would like to see your links to reference.

i work in the healthcare industry, and coffee/soda/milk are hardly ever credited as towards your daily water requirements within the healthcare community (i've never even heard of it). milk is actually usually classified as a food because of the digestive properties. sodas can actually dehydrate you based on if it is high in sugar, and a person's individual tolerance to it. processing sugar requires more time and also requires water to be diverted away from other parts of the body in order to digest it properly and leaves you more thirsty. so, i wouldn't necessarily call it a great "hydrator". even many sports drinks are just as high in sugar content as non-diet sodas.

if someone wants to count diet soda, [herbal] teas, light-brew coffee and low calorie sports drinks/ect as "water", then that's their choice. i personally would never, and i was responding to the OP as such.

if someone wants to go as far as counting a high caffeine drink, milk, or full sugar soda as water, i'm sorry but i simply call that utterly ridiculous and stupid.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, but when I see the words "Water Consumption", I assume you are only supposed to put how much WATER you drank that day. But who know's maybe I'm just stupid.

Maybe we are just thinking to deep into it? lol I tend to over analyze
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

OKay well I looked and didn't see "taking out the garbage" under the strength exercises, but I'm betting I burned close to 200 calories, so I'm going to log that. Also, I over microwaved my chicken just now and had to push down really hard on the knife to cut it, so there's another 100 cals burned right there.

Sorry, I was making a joke based on the fact that you typed "garage" instead of "garbage".

What counts as exercise is a whole other thing, and causes just as much judgement and angst as the whole "should I log g 99.9% pure water (also known as "coffee") as 99.99% pure water (also known as "tap water")"? issue.

The net answer for both is: Whatever works for you. Your water does not have to be laboratory-pure in order to count toward bodily hydration, and your exercise does not have to involve a gym membership and $400 sneakers to count as exercise, as long as you are being realistic about whether the exercise you are counting is already accounted for in your lifestyle, and whether the calories burned are being calculated somewhat accurately.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You should really only consider h2O as water.

Unless the point is just adequate hydration and not making the MFP virtual water glass spill.

But whether or not you choose to fill your virtual water glass with just water or watermelon, I sincerely do not care. Me? I'll continue not to track either water or watery foods.
  • KittieLea
    Options

Sorry, I was making a joke based on the fact that you typed "garage" instead of "garbage".

What counts as exercise is a whole other thing, and causes just as much judgement and angst as the whole "should I log g 99.9% pure water (also known as "coffee") as 99.99% pure water (also known as "tap water")"? issue.

The net answer for both is: Whatever works for you. Your water does not have to be laboratory-pure in order to count toward bodily hydration, and your exercise does not have to involve a gym membership and $400 sneakers to count as exercise, as long as you are being realistic about whether the exercise you are counting is already accounted for in your lifestyle, and whether the calories burned are being calculated somewhat accurately.
    LMAO! I didn't even notice that I typed garage instead of garbage!! That's hilarious! And thanks for the long explaination about logging, however, I must tell you I was being 100% sarcastic. Isn't that what the forums are for?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Then, of course, after all the angst, judgement, and people calling each other stupid for logging incorrect things, there's the real question. One that is far more important than "did I make the little virtual cup on the MFP home page spill over?"

And that question is: Am I properly hydrating my body?

The best way to answer that is very simple. When you pee, check the color.

- Clear to pale yellow = no matter what you are doing, no matter what you are counting, your body is well-hydrated. Keep doing what you are doing.
    - Bright yellow = think about adding a glass of something made at least mostly of water (or pure water, if you prefer) to your daily regimen, check back tomorrow.
    - Cloudy, moderate yellow, etc = drink a few extra glasses of water today, check tomorrow, if it's not cleared up to pale yellow in a few days of increasing water intake, see your doctor.

- brownish or reddish = cut back on the fresh beets. ;)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    And thanks for the long explaination about logging, however, I must tell you I was being 100% sarcastic. Isn't that what the forums are for?

Unless you have a stunted sense of humor like I do. (grin) :flowerforyou:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

i would like to see your links to reference.

i work in the healthcare industry, and coffee/soda/milk are hardly ever credited as towards your daily water requirements within the healthcare community (i've never even heard of it). milk is actually usually classified as a food because of the digestive properties. sodas can actually dehydrate you based on if it is high in sugar, and a person's individual tolerance to it. processing sugar requires more time and also requires water to be diverted away from other parts of the body in order to digest it properly and leaves you more thirsty. so, i wouldn't necessarily call it a great "hydrator". even many sports drinks are just as high in sugar content as non-diet sodas.

if someone wants to count diet soda, [herbal] teas, light-brew coffee and low calorie sports drinks/ect as "water", then that's their choice. i personally would never, and i was responding to the OP as such.

if someone wants to go as far as counting a high caffeine drink, milk, or full sugar soda as water, i'm sorry but i simply call that utterly ridiculous and stupid.

If you ever worked in a hospital you would know that all liquids ingested are counted towards the fluid balance record that is kept for patients. This would include soup, juice, coffee, tea, milk and even jello.

If you want to go by your previous comparison, two types of meat are obviously not exactly the same but both would count towards your protein intake even if the calories are not the same. Likewise, both milk and water can count towards your hydration.

Here's your link for Mayo clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283