Girls with Man Calves

Options
Ok....I've had big muscles in my legs all my life, but now that I am working out they are getting bigger and bigger. My brother is actually jealous of my calves lol.

Does anyone else have this problem? Will they keep getting bigger or eventually will they get leaner?

Sorry the picture is so big. I tried to shrink it but it didn't work.

IMG_20120926_133712.jpg

Replies

• amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see responses-I have well-developed calves! I think mine are bigger then my husbands!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hot good calves are in heels? I'm incredibly jealous.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a massive amount of fat in your calves to lose I don't see why they would get leaner. Muscles don't keep getting bigger indefinitely; there's a point at which they stop, which depends on our genes and hormones.

You have a lot of muscle development in your calves and I'm glad you're happy with it. But this is why I tell women that yes, it is possible to get big in some places from weight work. If you're a woman who's close to her goal weight and has a propensity to develop big muscles in the thighs and butt, you may not want to use direct weight on those area.

Everyone develops differently and it's important to be aware of one's goals.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My calves are pronounced as well, and at 5'1 its too manly for me. I do not wear dress or skirts much. I have not noticed my calves getting leaner.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options

You have a lot of muscle development in your calves and I'm glad you're happy with it. But this is why I tell women that yes, it is possible to get big in some places from weight work.

All I have been doing is 30 Day Shred and walking my dog. The only weigh work would be carrying myself around more lol. Could that be doing it?
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned with how they look? Because I think it's great. Your calves are constantly working because you're walking and using them. Especially stairs and things.
    I have a calf tattoo and really hope my calves look that good when I am in shape so I can show it off more!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

You have a lot of muscle development in your calves and I'm glad you're happy with it. But this is why I tell women that yes, it is possible to get big in some places from weight work.

All I have been doing is 30 Day Shred and walking my dog. The only weigh work would be carrying myself around more lol. Could that be doing it?

Then I guess you very easily develop muscle in your calves. But this is precisely why I've told some women who've asked that if they're concerned about muscle development in a particular area to observe how they develop as they work out.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Defined calves + heels = HECK YES!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Learn to love it? No one is going to want to get kicked by you. Your legs don't look manly. Stop shaving, then call them "man calves".
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My calves are total muscle as well! Nothing else is as toned and I don't do any specific exercises for this either.
    When I was younger, I was a brown belt in Karate and was very active. My calves were built up during that time and even though I have gained weight since that time, my calves have stayed muscled and toned... even at my age!!

It's nice to see other well developed calver's out there!

:flowerforyou:
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned with how they look? Because I think it's great. Your calves are constantly working because you're walking and using them. Especially stairs and things.
    I have a calf tattoo and really hope my calves look that good when I am in shape so I can show it off more!

I have shorter legs and a longer torso. Right now since I'm big all over it doesn't look bad, but when I start losing weight I worry that I'm not going to be proportioned right. So I wanted to try to fix that now, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have 14" calves and I am now transitioning from Triathlon training to Ballet.

I look forward to seeing a difference. If at all.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have pretty serious calves, from running. I love them. They're well defined, and muscular. I don't see them as a problem at all.

As I've lost weight, my calves have slimmed down. In the last few months, I haven't lost much by way of scale weight, but my body comp has shifted, and I've lost inches. Including nearly an inch off each calf. They will slim down as you lose. You'll likely keep the muscular appearance, but the leg as a whole will slim.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was the only one with that problem!

Back when I was in college and seriously lifting and buff - I did nothing for my lower body other than cardio. Any sort of lower body weights and I developed these freakishy huge hulk like legs.

Bottom line for me, is that it is genetic and there isn't much I can do about it, except avoid lower body weight lifitng. Sounds like you may be in the same boat.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well-developed calves and heels are sexier than anything. Rock 'em!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I see absolutely no problem
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves as well. I havent done any measurements recently, but I have always had to have boots specially made for me or ordered from special places because of the shape of my legs. I love love love it though!!! GORGEOUS!!! I need a kind friend to take pics of my legs as well so I can post them :)
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes i do to, every time i wear shorts or dresses i get the "man you have great calves" So my guess is yes it looks good...
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I think my calves are huge too dont let it bother you your legs look great
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Same here Sista! all my life I've had big calves and was jealous of those girls with slender legs. But now I embrace it... they call it the "Cheerleader" build I guess.