Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Im always between 1100 and 1400, its working for me :happy:
    I think most of the oldbies that are 'hating' on the 1200cal posts are aiming for the posts where the OP is not losing weight/hungry all the time/lacking in energy for workouts. Some of them may come across as harsh but most of them are honestly trying to help. The ones that are harsh have usually had months of being chewed out by people after offering advice.

Weightloss is a personal thing, do what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

sums it up

78 pounds lost so far on 1200 calories. I feel fine. I eat constantly but I don't fill my body with crap everyday so the lower calorie foods allow me to eat more of them. I feel healthier than I have ever felt in my life. I no longer am diabetic, have high cholesterol or blood pressure problems. I haven't reached any sort of stop in my loss. I haven't upped my calories. I also don't go on the forums with trying to educate people on what to eat, how to eat, how much to eat. For one, everyone is different. Eating more to weigh less does work, for some. Not for everyone. I find that most of the people in that group insist that it works for everyone which isn't the case. I also don't push people to eat 1200 a day. Different strokes for different folks and I really wish certain people that have lost a lot of weight would get off their damn high horse. I've lost a lot of weight as well but I don't know all. I still learn new things about what my body needs constantly.
  • Selphie8
    Selphie8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, don't waste your time with the "haters". I've noticed lots of women say that MFP figures they should eat 1200 cals a day...hmmm...sounds like its more than a coincidence.

That's because a lot of people set their weight loss goals to 2 lbs a week, which is far too high for most people. 1200 calorie diets are not healthy for the majority of people.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    everyone starts off at 1200 calories

I must be the snowflake in the room, I started at 1800 and as I lost weight it recalculated to 1610
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have been to see a dietican at the hospital as I was seeing a lot of things about starvation mode etc. I asked the dietican about eating 1200 and she said that as long as I wasn't hungry then this was fine and that I ate back any exercise calories. She did also say that the body would not go into starvation unless you were eating between 600 -800 a day for over a week.
    As I have lost every week I will be sticking with 1200 and eating back exercise cals.

I have to believe her as she has studied for years to get to the position she is in and has the medical background to go with it.
    But a the end of the day you must do what is best for you. You know your own body more than anyone else.
    If by upping your calories you feel better and lose weight then do it. If not stick with what your doing.

Each to there own.........
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    I aim for 1200 cals a day, but then I don't worry too much if I'm slightly over my cals. I find the more cals you think you have to play with, the more you eat and no one can realistically stick to 1200 every single day so I therefore don't worry about starvation mode either, I figure I average about 1350 normally.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn
    this
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi cj, looks like we joined in the same month. I've noticed the comments also and have wondered why ppl think that's too low a goal. Something they don't understand is when we're short (I'm 5'3") we naturally need less calories.

Not trying to sound rude but this is actually not true AT ALL. It's a HUGE misconception. I'm 5'2" and eat 1500 calories a day and lose. I would starve if I ate 1200 a day. Some days I eat 1700..still lose..has nothing to do with your height. If you train your metabolism to work PROPERLY and you fuel your body every 3 hours you can eat way more than 1200 and lose. That being said, do what you need to do or what works for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you set it to "lose 2 pounds per week", for most women that is going to give you the minimum recommended calories. 1200.

Setting it to lose 2 pounds a week is not appropriate for everyone. Of course everyone wants that, so everyone sets it that way at first until they become more educated. Or until after about 2-3 weeks when their body says this is crazy, I'm starving.

If you have less than 40 pounds to lose, do not set it for 2 pounds a week, and it will give you a more reasonable calorie amount to eat.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    robert-downey-jr-quote.jpg
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've had the exact opposite problem here since MFP has given me 1,690 calories. lol. I wouldn't worry about everyone throwing their opinions in rudely. I'm all for giving advice, but there are a lot of very entitled and self fulfilling people in this world, and they will absolutely go out of their way to crap all over your success. As long as you ARE eating and you're eating a sufficient amount of food, I don't think there's a problem.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you can stick to 1,200 calories for life to keep your weight off, then more power to you. When I was losing weight, I ate 2,400 per day (TDEE - 15-20%) and made great improvements in my fitness. I'm pregnant now, so I'm eating 2,600 since I'm much less active.

I played with the numbers to find the highest number of calories I could eat in order to still lose weight - I want to be able to do this for life, and I don't mind if it takes me a bit longer to lose the weight. For me, 2,400 is the magic number. Not saying that's right for everyone, but I'll bet those who are on 1,200 could stand to eat a bit more and lose the weight more slowly, but keep it off for a lifetime.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    robert-downey-jr-quote.jpg

Love it!!!
  • brooklynsprings
    Options
    Not everyone is "hating". Some are just trying to share their experience. I eat about 1900-2300 calories/day. That's what works for me. I used to eat less, but have had more success with eating more. Everyone has to make their own decisions based on what works for you. For most people 1200 is actually the bare minimum they should be eating and many can comfortably eat more and still lose weight.

Good luck with your goals!
  • brooklynsprings
    Options
    you must be running up a storm :)
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. Yeah!! 5 lbs is great.
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do It Your Way each of us is different do what works for you and don't pay attention to the naysayers!! YOU CAN DO IT!! KEEP UP WHAT'S WORKING FOR YOU!!!
    So I'm kinda new here. I made a profile, and filled out my information, and MFP came up with 1200/cal day as my goal. Now I had no idea if that what considered very low, or average, or whatever. But I have been trying to stick with it. And I'm actually finding that I need to make myself eat MORE that I want to just to get to 1200. And I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.
  • NautiLife
    Options
    1200 calories...I could eat 1200 calories in one bite
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i'm really hungry with 1200 calories but if that works for you, go ahead. also it depends on your height and BMR too. for me, my bmr is just 1300 so i stick around 1600 because my tdee is 1900 ... basically if you aim between BMR and TDEE you are fine... BMR is what you need just to survive and run major organs, and TDEE is total daily energy expenditure or what you need to maintain your weight. i find if i stick in the middle i am not hungry and i still lose. i am also 5'4" and pretty active. just depends on what works for you. i got my calculations at www.fat2fitradio.com/tools to figure out BMR and TDEE
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 cal's too. 59lb down so far so for me.. starvation mode is utter bollox. You work out whats right for you and keep doing it. Ignore the haters. Where there are happy productive people you will always find trolls who have nothing better to do then be keyboard cowboys.