Does eating before you go to bed really make you fat??

Options
Hello.
I wanted to know peoples opinions on what time to eat.
Say if you get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm.So does food eaten in the latter hours really lie on your stomach and turn to fat???.Even if its within your calorie goal for the day??
Are these myths.Don't eat after 6pm etc etc.
What do people think???

Replies

• purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't believe any of that. I believe what really matters is the total calories consumed / day and the amount you exercise.

My sister told me that it's good to go to bed slightly hungry. Well anytime I try that, I'll wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I always eat before bed.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it lies on my stomach. I always eat supper at night in bed :-) Just had a mini chocolate perky nana and plain air popped popcorn. If I didn't have supper I would feel hungry and probably it would affect my sleep. That is just me. I'll be intersted to know what others do. I often have a mini frozen yoghurt ice block or crackers and hummus. Sometimes carrots with hummus or a cup of tea and a ginger nut biscuit :-)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    No. I have been eating after dinner lately (staying under my calories as usual) and I'm losing as much as I am but I don't go to bed hungry (and apparently grumpy)
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    nah. it might make you feel bloated in the morning, but it won't make you gain fat mass.
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell time. I work third shift and eat breakfast before I go to bed in the morning. Hasn't stopped my weight loss. I'm down 30 pounds!
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No, infact eating carbs before bed will make you sleep better and perform better in the morning.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Complete myth. If you are in a calorie deficit overall fat burning is what is happening.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Eating dinner doesn't make you gain weight. It's what you eat & how big your meal is, which is why they breakfast is your most important meal, it's to get your body ready fir the day. Whereas at dinner you eat and then sleep you're not burning anything. Hope that made sense lol
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nah!
    I workout in the evenings; I have my dinner before I go, then when i get home after the workout (about 9:30/10:00 pm) I'll have a high protein snack like a shake or homemade protein bar - this can sometimes be more calories then my entire dinner and I've not gained any weight.
    So long as you stick to your overall calorie intake for the day it doesn't matter what time you eat
    :-)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nope, its all a load of codswallop.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eating dinner doesn't make you gain weight. It's what you eat & how big your meal is, which is why they breakfast is your most important meal, it's to get your body ready fir the day. Whereas at dinner you eat and then sleep you're not burning anything. Hope that made sense lol

So you are saying that the body stop digesting food just because you are asleep?

Secondly, in the morning when you wake your body is primed for fat burning so breakfast is really not required if you have eaten a large meal the night before and eating cereal or other high carb breakfasts wrecks this body state - fats and protein would be a beter choice!
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to go home and eat after we finished exercising. It was 8.30pm and I asked him if he was kidding! He said no, I was to go home and eat protein so it must be a myth..... unless you're gorging on chocolate and crisps.

xx
  • guttsy386
    Options
    If you look up 'circadian rhythm' your body stops digestion during your deepest sleep! usually 2-4 am so as long as you don't eat so much before you go to bed you don't have time to digest it, keeping that in mind you will not go far wrong!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you look up 'circadian rhythm' your body stops digestion during your deepest sleep! usually 2-4 am so as long as you don't eat so much before you go to bed you don't have time to digest it, keeping that in mind you will not go far wrong!
    Please stop.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I sleep better if I don't eat or drink anything 2 hours before going to bed. But I make sure all my calories are in before that window. No scientific reason, just my habits and norms.

I don't work out at night because it will keep me awake. No scientific reasons. Just my habits and norms.

I think the whole thing about eating at night makes you fat is because over the years people binge or eat extra calories at night. If you are eating the right amount of calories every 24 hours, and it doesn't disrupt your sleep, eat your calories at the timing that makes you fit the most fit.

So save some calories and plan for those calories/nutrition as your trainer directs after your workout. Do your thing!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Studies on people and anamals show that in terms of weight loss/gain, when you eat makes no difference as long as you don't go over your calorie limit.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. Eating more than your body needs makes you fat.
  • kimb1965
    kimb1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been to a nutritionist, and she said that was an old wise tale. If your hungry you should eat...Your body still burn calories and is working while you sleep.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    it works for me.in the past month i've been really good with not eating late (which is a great success for me) and i can honestly say i have never looked better. plus i was eating all my favorite food during the day (of course not every day).
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Please stop.

HAHA. Agreed. In fact, I generally eat a snack DIRECTLY before bed if I can sneak it in, otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night starving - and set myself up for failure.

PS @ Fitnesssocial I love your picture!