Does eating before you go to bed really make you fat??

Options

Replies

• NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question. If you eat at 12:01 am, does that go into the next days calorie allowance?

Mind = blown. :noway:

Patiently awaiting a separate thread filled with heated debate on this topic alone...

LOL
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question. If you eat at 12:01 am, does that go into the next days calorie allowance?

Mind = blown. :noway:

Patiently awaiting a separate thread filled with heated debate on this topic alone...

I might post one, just for the LOLs
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    try not eating after 7 pm for a week and see what happens. my tummy gets flatter after 3 days. i think it has to do with the fact that you are not eating for at least 12 hours. it helps, it did work for me, whatever all of you say.
  • Stingroo
    Stingroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    try not eating after 7 pm for a week and see what happens. my tummy gets flatter after 3 days. i think it has to do with the fact that you are not eating for at least 12 hours. it helps, it did work for me, whatever all of you say.

Yes, it's called intermittent fasting. Try shifting your hours from 7pm to 7am and surprise surprise, the same phenomenon occurs.

Timing is irrelevant.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If I go to sleep with empty stomach, I wake up in the middle of the night, with an extremely bad stomachache and I will eat whatever I find in front of me. That is why, I'm trying to always have a snack before going to bed. Such a banana, or other fruits, a glass of milk, or even a toast. Soups doesn't work for me....
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eating before you go to bed is much better than eating after you have gone to bed - those crumbs get everywhere!!

Lol
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out, the rest is just details.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle doesn't allow for anything else!
  • positivepineapple
    Options

Yes, it's called intermittent fasting. Try shifting your hours from 7pm to 7am and surprise surprise, the same phenomenon occurs.

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

I usually eat an hour or so before bed, so that I'm satisfied before I go to sleep and I won't wake up hungry, and then fast for the first part of my day, like if I eat at 8 pm, I won't eat again until around 11 or 12 the next morning and I'll try to exercise before my first meal.

I've seen a huge difference.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I wanted to know peoples opinions on what time to eat.
    Say if you get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm.So does food eaten in the latter hours really lie on your stomach and turn to fat???.Even if its within your calorie goal for the day??
    Are these myths.Don't eat after 6pm etc etc.
    What do people think???

you burn calories when you sleep...so i dont let it bother me, all that matters is if you are at your calorie goal for the day.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    no. body cant tell time.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself .... I ****cannot**** eat after 7pm... I would be sick to my stomach if I even tried to fall asleep on a full stomach. Been like that since I was a young girl. The only thing I can handle is a glass of water before bed time...

I'm the same way. THing is I'm not even hungry when I wake up. I get up at 5:30 every day but don't feel hungry till around 9 am at least.
  • herrytews
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed because I have trouble sleeping and I noticed that 100 - 200 calories of either icecream (sometimes coconut milk, sometimes skinny cow or sometimes a mini blizzard) or cottage cheese or a banana and 1/2 tbsp of PB helps me sleep. Have no idea why but I'd rather eat than take the sleeping pills I have. They make me a zombie ... not fun!!
  • macpacman
    Options
    It's just a myth. If you have a well balanced diet, it really doesn't matter when you eat or how many times you eat.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    i always wondered this
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The only things that I avoid eating close to bed time are foods that might cause me indigestion from lying down too soon after, as in spicy type things. But no, I don't believe eating before bed causes you to gain fat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.

And your evidence for this includes a sample of you and who else?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    no
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    With my work schedule, I eat at completely and bizarrely different times every single day. I work split shifts (second and third) and then on my days off I try to get up early and enjoy a "normal" day. I've never had any issues with eating before bed. It's not really when you eat, it's how much and what you eat. Also, if you're worried about weighing in the next day, I've noted that eating salty things the night before weigh-in never ends positively (sodium intake!).