Does eating before you go to bed really make you fat??

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.
    You're just weighing food still in your gut from the night before. It doesn't affect fat loss.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    try not eating after 7 pm for a week and see what happens. my tummy gets flatter after 3 days. i think it has to do with the fact that you are not eating for at least 12 hours. it helps, it did work for me, whatever all of you say.

Yes, it's called intermittent fasting. Try shifting your hours from 7pm to 7am and surprise surprise, the same phenomenon occurs.

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

I usually eat an hour or so before bed, so that I'm satisfied before I go to sleep and I won't wake up hungry, and then fast for the first part of my day, like if I eat at 8 pm, I won't eat again until around 11 or 12 the next morning and I'll try to exercise before my first meal.

I've seen a huge difference.

duhh, i am just saying what worked for me! and bull****, it's normal to eat dinner around 7-8pm and the next thing would be breakfast tomorrow morning! it's how our grandparents ate and they didn't have so many overweight people back then.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.

And your evidence for this includes a sample of you and who else?

me. and plenty of my friends. we are all healthy young ladies (no anorexia, bulimia etc). you will see the results sooner if you don't eat before sleeping.
  • Stingroo
    Stingroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    try not eating after 7 pm for a week and see what happens. my tummy gets flatter after 3 days. i think it has to do with the fact that you are not eating for at least 12 hours. it helps, it did work for me, whatever all of you say.

Yes, it's called intermittent fasting. Try shifting your hours from 7pm to 7am and surprise surprise, the same phenomenon occurs.

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

I usually eat an hour or so before bed, so that I'm satisfied before I go to sleep and I won't wake up hungry, and then fast for the first part of my day, like if I eat at 8 pm, I won't eat again until around 11 or 12 the next morning and I'll try to exercise before my first meal.

duhh, i am just saying what worked for me! and bull****, it's normal to eat dinner around 7-8pm and the next thing would be breakfast tomorrow morning! it's how our grandparents ate and they didn't have so many overweight people back then.

Yes. Sure. Our grandparents also had horses for transportation, and they didn't have so many cars back then.

Any other irrelevant info you'd like to add to the discussion?

This is the whole problem with weight loss forums. Everybody says whatever they want, and they go unchecked because "it works for me" is considered a viable defense. If you look at WHY it works, or WHY it doesn't work, you actually LEARN something.

I know, I know, learning is scary.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

Yes. Sure. Our grandparents also had horses for transportation, and they didn't have so many cars back then.

This is the whole problem with weight loss forums. Everybody says whatever they want, and they go unchecked because "it works for me" is considered a viable defense. If you look at WHY it works, or WHY it doesn't work, you actually LEARN something.

they were healthier! that is my point. my grandparents didn't ride horses, but maybe you should get out of the car and get yourself a horse.
    if it works for me it might just as well work for her too. she just needs to try. it's not a freakin' NUCLEAR SCIENCE. you don't need to viable defenses and proofs to lose 5 pounds!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Here is just one link to support this. It's more than calories in and calories out so read before you blast.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/

If I have the time between classes I'll look up some research papers that show actual research not broscience about this topic.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I wanted to know peoples opinions on what time to eat.
    Say if you get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm.So does food eaten in the latter hours really lie on your stomach and turn to fat???.Even if its within your calorie goal for the day??
    Are these myths.Don't eat after 6pm etc etc.
    What do people think???

I don't think it will make you gain weight (depending on what you're eating and how much). However, if I eat before going to bed, it's harder for me to make myself eat breakfast. I generally eat my largest meal at lunchtime, then eat a light meal after my evening workout. I sleep better if I don't have a stomach full of food that my body is working overtimve to digest while it's supposed to be at rest.
  • Stingroo
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

they were healthier! that is my point. my grandparents didn't ride horses, but maybe you should get out of the car and get yourself a horse.
    if it works for me it might just as well work for her too. she just needs to try. it's not a freakin' NUCLEAR SCIENCE. you don't need to viable defenses and proofs to lose 5 pounds!

Your logic is bulletproof. I submit, there's no possible way for me to learn anything more beyond what you have posted.

Please, spread forth your wisdom so that all may know the secrets to life, five pounds at a time.

:huh:
  • racegirlkn
    racegirlkn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat a small snack every night before bed, and I have lost 60 pounds and am almost to my goal. I don't believe it for a second. What matters is your total day.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

Your logic is bulletproof. I submit, there's no possible way for me to learn anything more beyond what you have posted.

Please, spread forth your wisdom so that all may know the secrets to life, five pounds at a time.

:huh:

. . . And you can learn how to give people information without trying to sound like a ****. Unless your goal isn't really to help them but to make yourself look smart on fitness forums.
  • phishn4peace
    phishn4peace Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not sure- I just stick to a low calorie dinner and going for a 20 minute walk after dinner to help with digestion!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with eating before bed. i've recently started carb back loading to gain muscle and drop fat. the key to that program is eating right before bed.
  • Stingroo
    Options
    . . . And you can learn how to give people information without trying to sound like a ****. Unless your goal isn't really to help them but to make yourself look smart on fitness forums.

Sure, but I'd be more concerned about all the misinformation being spread around than a stranger's tone on the Internet, but hey - that's just me. :) We explained the concept of IF, and in response we were cursed at.

Sorry, I'm not going to respectfully answer someone who can't do the same in return. Such is life. :)
  • njauatin
    njauatin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you eat. I wouldn't eat pasta or a cheeseburger before bed. But I do eat a night snack like an apple with peanut butter or banana and peanut butter. I have been consistent with my weight loss.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Our grandparents didn't have such frequent use of cars as we do. They also didn't have playstations, or xboxes, or Sky, or any of the other things that keep a lot of people glued to their sofas now. Neither did they have such easy access to high fat, high calorie, 'fast' food and processed meals in packets as we do now.

But of course, it's the timing of our meals that makes us all fat, none of the above. :huh:
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

This.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Our grandparents didn't have such frequent use of cars as we do. They also didn't have playstations, or xboxes, or Sky, or any of the other things that keep a lot of people glued to their sofas now. Neither did they have such easy access to high fat, high calorie, 'fast' food and processed meals in packets as we do now.

But of course, it's the timing of our meals that makes us all fat, none of the above. :huh:

She is right. My grandpa lived to be 90. Never ate past 7:30pm in his life. Ifso facto- that's the reason he lived so long.

/sarcasm
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    fine, you people do whatever you want, i am just saying that in the last month i haven't been snacking after dinner (again, it's NORMAL and natural thing to do). I am saying a girl should try it. if she dies because she fasted for oh-such-a-long-night between dinner and breakfast, then please accept my deepest apology. it's not my fault that you are seeking "scientific proof" just because you're too used to snacking before bed. It worked for me. I am a student. My brain is working perfectly, I have a lot of energy and my body looks better than ever! and i know it's BECAUSE i've stopped eating after dinner. Because in the past i tried so many things and nothing worked so well.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    nooooo it is a myth like others have said. I save all my calories till the evening because that is when I am hungriest :) I take advantage of when I am not hungry by not eating :)
  • alison1205
    alison1205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's a simple question of calories in versus calories used. You take in more calories than you use, you put on weight. You use more calories than you take in, you lose weight. I guess people who use the 'no carbs after 6pm' or 'don't eat before bed' only see a benefit as it lowers their overall calorie intake. Balancing out your intake over the whole day would have the same effect. We digest food while we sleep so it won't just sit there and morph into fat... the proof of this is that your body makes you feel sleepy after a heavy meal as it diverts energy away from the brain, etc. to digest the meal...
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    no