Water Intake: The Final Debate

Options
I am an advocate for drinking as much water as you possibly, and safely, can. Period.

As a giant-meathead, who spends 2 hours per day shortening my neck and training in martial arts, I like water... a lot. I drink 1 1/2 gallons, per day, every day.

"But Gorilla... what about Water Intoxication and Hyponatremia??" Notice I quantified my statement with the word "safely."

It never ceases to amaze the number of people that get bent-out-shape over the "water intake issue." For me, the answer is simple. Drink more. Lots and lots more. Drink as much as you can, then have another glass. Whatever amount that turns out to be, is the correct amount... mostly because what your body doesn't need, it will simply pee-out... and take a lot of waste with it.

For some unknown reason it is now in-vogue to denounce the "Eight 8 Once Glasses of Water Per Day" guideline, and replace same with the inane notion that one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty." ... Yes... Because clearly "thirst" and "hunger" are excellent mechanisms for regulating what your body needs. I mean, c'mon, it's not like you need a website and calculator to determine how much food you should.. be... eating... oh.. hmm... Well, you should just eat food when... you're... hungry... because... um... uh oh.

(Oh no he didn't! ... Oh yes... I did.)

Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Happy Saturday.

Replies

• fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This post made me chuckle a lot!
    Thank you for making work more bearable. I will strive to drink more water :)
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Loved your post!!! Have a great day!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cheers to that.

(with my water bottle)
  • samlankford
    Options
    Yeah I drink at least 1/2 gallon if i do NO EXERCISE, now on days that I am sweating like a freaking pig I will drink between 1-1/2 to 2 gallons a day... I KNOW what works for me, what I NEED not some run of the mill "guidelines" that assume to fit everyone... :bigsmile:
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    haha, you look like Pitbull.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think I average around 12 glasses a day. I will strive to drink more. And pee more. Thanks, Gorilla.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Cheers to you, and as a health professional, I concur. My only caveat to that is I don't think 5.00 bottles of distilled water have done me much better than the well water out of my tap.
    My son, an "all go, no quit" United States Marine (OohRah!) can also attest to how much water a body needs on a regular basis.

**********************************:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: ***********************************
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    lmfao I am horrible about drinking water but everything you say is so true and your sense of humour about it amused me.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Best post since I've been here, hands down. Also, your writing style is awesome!
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I drink and pee all day long! I drink so much water and I feel better than I ever have! If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated...
  • bits4226
    bits4226 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!! I wasnt a fan of water but it makes EVERYTHING soooo much better. I try for at least 10-15 glasses a day and if i feel like drinking more I will.... water drinker unite!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    :heart: Best post EVER!!! Love love love the way you write (type) - whichever - Love it!!!:heart:
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love my water, the more I drink the more I pee. I can't drink a gallon and a half like you Mr. Meathead but I manage to get in 8-9 glasses a day and then some.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you forgot the part where ppl think that drinking any beverage with water in it counts..or did you cover that with...

"....one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty."

please clarify :p
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Am I a 'bad girl' if I'm adding a known diuretic-lemon juice- to each bottle of water? I jus figured, the more sodium an toxins I can pee out- the better.. I typically add 2-4tbsp lemon juice to 3c water
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for drinking as much water as you possibly, and safely, can. Period.

As a giant-meathead, who spends 2 hours per day shortening my neck and training in martial arts, I like water... a lot. I drink 1 1/2 gallons, per day, every day.

"But Gorilla... what about Water Intoxication and Hyponatremia??" Notice I quantified my statement with the word "safely."

It never ceases to amaze the number of people that get bent-out-shape over the "water intake issue." For me, the answer is simple. Drink more. Lots and lots more. Drink as much as you can, then have another glass. Whatever amount that turns out to be, is the correct amount... mostly because what your body doesn't need, it will simply pee-out... and take a lot of waste with it.

For some unknown reason it is now in-vogue to denounce the "Eight 8 Once Glasses of Water Per Day" guideline, and replace same with the inane notion that one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty." ... Yes... Because clearly "thirst" and "hunger" are excellent mechanisms for regulating what your body needs. I mean, c'mon, it's not like you need a website and calculator to determine how much food you should.. be... eating... oh.. hmm... Well, you should just eat food when... you're... hungry... because... um... uh oh.

(Oh no he didn't! ... Oh yes... I did.)

Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
    Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
    65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
    As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
    Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Happy Saturday.

Good post! In spite of some highly publicized situations where people forced themselves to drink water until they reached a state of hyponatremia, most of us don't consume enough water. Hyponatremia can be the chronic condition of some endurance athletes (scientists who once tested runners in the Boston Marathon determined that approximately 13% of runners in the race had reached a state of hyponatremia by the end of the race). But few of us are in that category.

As you burn fat, toxins from the fat burning will enter the blood stream and must be flushed out by drinking plenty of water.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    :heart: Best post EVER!!! Love love love the way you write (type) - whichever - Love it!!!:heart:

It's like you read my mind. It is most definitely the best post ever!
    It opened my mind and then exploded it!

The wording... the structure... it's more than just the best post ever.
    It's quite possibly the most perfect execution of the English written language in human history.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I do have to say, as a librarian, that the Popular Wisdom of "8 glasses of water per day" is indeed a mythical number and idea. Please note that I am NOT saying that drinking only one cup per day is good for you, or any such nonsense. However, it's true that nobody seems to know from where that arbitrary number came. Even water researchers and experts don't agree on its origin. It's not a bad idea, but its not a hard and fast rule. Some people can, and do, survive and thrive on a lot less, especially if they get a lot of fluid from their food choices.

That's not a good idea for me, though. If I waited to drink water "when I was thirsty", I'd be dead. I admit that I sometimes do wait waaaaay too long, though. Water just doesn't call to me (or any other beverages). It's not that I don't like water, like so many people on here, I do. I'm just hardly ever thirsty. My husband affectionatly calls me his little kangaroo rat. :) I am trying to get better about it, though.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    bahaha!! Funny! I wish I could drink water, but it just makes me nauseous. Don't know why. BLAH

But I should add that I am still losing weight and feel amazing.