Water Intake: The Final Debate

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    That's because he's also an awesome lawyer! Oh, but, Gorilla, I gotta disagree with part of your dissertation -- NOBODY is more awesome than me! Well, except, maybe, YOU! Love your posts!
    He knows I'm a lawyer. His avatar is an attempt to be clever.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Hi, my name is Stephanie and I am a water addict. The more I drink, the more I want.

*edit- I drank 8 oz while reading this.
  • GorillaEsq
    Hi, my name is Stephanie and I am a water addict. The more I drink, the more I want.
    I am too. It's the greatest thing ever.
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    i am a big believer in drinking water, water and more water. thanks for his post.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    that had virtually no correlation to anything that was in the original post, whatsoever.

The correlation was to your assertion that soldiers drink "lots and lots of water".

They don't actually, as it would mean carrying lots and lots of weight. They drink enough, as shown by that study, and it's less than a gallon a day in the case observed.

http://www.usariem.army.mil/pages/download/HydrationPDF.pdf advises that "CAUTION: Hourly fluid intake should not exceed 1½ quarts. Daily fluid intake should not exceed 12 quarts." It also has useful info about sodium intake requirements etc and Table II showing Institute of Medicine recommendations again below a gallon a day also reported at http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/585S.full

It does say "Most healthy people adequately meet their daily water needs when they let thirst be their guide. Note, however, that this is not true for athletes, military personnel in hot environments, people who are ill, elderly individuals, or infants. The sense of thirst (or the ability to communicate it) of these populations is not an adequate reflection of their water needs. The AI for water is not a suitable guide for these populations." which agrees with some of the OP.
  • GorillaEsq
    that had virtually no correlation to anything that was in the original post, whatsoever.

The correlation was to your assertion that soldiers drink "lots and lots of water".

They don't actually, as it would mean carrying lots and lots of weight. They drink enough, as shown by that study, and it's less than a gallon a day in the case observed.

http://www.usariem.army.mil/pages/download/HydrationPDF.pdf advises that "CAUTION: Hourly fluid intake should not exceed 1½ quarts. Daily fluid intake should not exceed 12 quarts." It also has useful info about sodium intake requirements etc and Table II showing Institute of Medicine recommendations again below a gallon a day also reported at http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/585S.full

It does say "Most healthy people adequately meet their daily water needs when they let thirst be their guide. Note, however, that this is not true for athletes, military personnel in hot environments, people who are ill, elderly individuals, or infants. The sense of thirst (or the ability to communicate it) of these populations is not an adequate reflection of their water needs. The AI for water is not a suitable guide for these populations." which agrees with some of the OP.
    Actually, it agrees with all of the OP. I said, "drink as much as you safely can."

Your randomly Googled military PDF states that one should not exceed more than 3 gallons of water a day.

However, everyone reading this thread can now put head-to-pillow knowing that they have dodged a bullet... a 3-gallons-of-water-per-day bullet.

Hoorah.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    That's because he's also an awesome lawyer! Oh, but, Gorilla, I gotta disagree with part of your dissertation -- NOBODY is more awesome than me! Well, except, maybe, YOU! Love your posts!
    He knows I'm a lawyer. His avatar is an attempt to be clever.

Yeah, I had already picked up on that. I don't give any validation to his posts. I was replying to Possibri, who, I believe, was sincere in her reply.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member

*edit- I drank 8 oz while reading this.

Hi, Stephanie. Welcome to the meeting.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    I just took a couple pulls from the glass of ice water i have sitting next to me almost all day every day.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    bahaha!! Funny! I wish I could drink water, but it just makes me nauseous. Don't know why. BLAH

But I should add that I am still losing weight and feel amazing.

Drink it heated up.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    I lived in Hong Kong for some years and as a Brit not used to hot weather, we were told when post to HK to drink at least 3 litres of water each day and more if we were out and about or being active. We were very emphatically told to drink regularly and NOT wait until we felt thirsty because that was too late. Drink regularly and you won't feel thirst.

I have always drank more than my friends and intend to carry on doing so! (reaches for bottle of water on desk!)

Thank you for the post. Well done, and well balanced.
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    LOVE IT AWESOME!!!!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Loving this post.

Although I'm going to be sitting with my D hat on in the corner. I drink 8 glasses.. and I'm really trying to force myself to drink more, and get over the "but I don't want to be getting up to pee all the time" so my body can regulate itself properly. A friend of mine drinks about 15 glasses, and pees as much as I do on my 8, so I know it's just a matter of continuing.

I'm getting there :P
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,468 Member
    I just took a couple pulls from the glass of ice water i have sitting next to me almost all day every day.

Can I take a pull off that? Although I prefer my water room temp, is that kinda weird?
  • KellyJoMorris
    KellyJoMorris Posts: 35 Member
    I do have to say, as a librarian, that the Popular Wisdom of "8 glasses of water per day" is indeed a mythical number and idea. Please note that I am NOT saying that drinking only one cup per day is good for you, or any such nonsense. However, it's true that nobody seems to know from where that arbitrary number came. Even water researchers and experts don't agree on its origin. It's not a bad idea, but its not a hard and fast rule. Some people can, and do, survive and thrive on a lot less, especially if they get a lot of fluid from their food choices.

I always thought it came from drinking half a fluid ounce of water per pound of body weight per day - so a 10 stone person (which is used as an average) weighs 140 lbs, so needs 70 fl oz per day which is roughly 8 x 8 oz glasses of water. They used the 8 x 8 oz because it's close enough and easier to remember than my first sentence!

So 8 glasses a day is for the average person. For me at 174 lbs, I should drink an extra 17 fl oz, so 10 glasses not 8.

That's why I believe drinking more (and enough for my body weight) helps me to lose weight, as well as making me healthier etc etc
  • GorillaEsq

Can I take a pull off that? Although I prefer my water room temp, is that kinda weird?
    Questions? Really? Do you need to see someone about this behavior?
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    I love your posts!!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,468 Member

Shup
  • GorillaEsq

Shup
    Yes'm.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Well I guess he's pulling another one of those "say incorrect crap, pretend it's 100% fact, tell people that anyone who disagrees is just whining, and run away from the topic real fast" deals that he likes so much. As annoying as it is, I just feel really bad for the people who actually read it and think what he says is accurate. Please people, do actual research yourself.
    I guess I missed your counter-point, constructive input, re-framing, expertise, relevant retorts, references and scientific evidence.

But rest assured, no one thinks your post came-off as a dire reflection of your own crippling insecurities, whatsoever. ;)

Nice avatar too.

1) I thank you for your appreciation of my avatar.
    2) I am not concerned about trying to provide counter-points in a topic where I know you will attempt to contradict anything that disagrees with you. I also know your friends will rally in support of you regardless of what you say. I have no desire to waste an entire day with you. I merely wanted to remind people to do their own research as oppposed to just believing whatever you like to feed them.
    3) My only insecurity is that I feel insecure about you giving "guidance" to unsuspecting people. I do, however, applaud your consistency. All I did was tell people to do their own research and you jumped straight to personal attacks.