Water Intake: The Final Debate

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Water rules, on multiple levels.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Water, water the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you.... oh wait.... I think I have that wrong.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Water, water the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you.... oh wait.... I think I have that wrong.
    Shart?
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    A Poem by Olivia Taylor:

Water

Water is pure,
    Water is natural,
    Water is healthy,
    Water can help all

Water is simple,
    Water is free,
    Water can help the lives,
    The lives of you and me

:flowerforyou:

BTW- Shart??? LOL!!!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Water helps cover the smell when you po...
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    I love water... I do take most of my in ice format though.I drink out of a 64 oz cup all day filled to the brim with ice and then eat the ice lol.
  • CHERUBUMS
    CHERUBUMS Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks for post all humour aside (although I'd rather take it with a dose of humour), I know increasing my intake is my biggest key to success. Without an adequate amount of water, I retain water like crazy. I had a c-section 5 months ago and ballooned up 20 pounds in the 3 days following my surgery. Without drinking enough water when I got home, my legs and arms were like trees. My skin so tight I could barely move. It felt like I was going to tear myself to shreds with every movement. That being said I began drinking a cup of water every half hour. I set a timer as a reminder. It was excrutiating the first 3 days as my body began to make the shift from retaining to shedding that water weight, but lose it I did! I began peeing it off around the 3rd day and in a week I dropped off those 20 pounds of water weight and my skin was no longer tight.
    My first tell-tale sign when I haven't been drinking enough water is that my wedding rings will get increasingly tight and uncomfortable.
    Drink your water people, and drink lots!
    Michelle
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Gorilla,

Are you one of those people who insist on drinking a litre of water first thing in the morning, and a litre before and after each meal?

Thank you muchly,

Zyxst
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    absurd
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member

It's kind of funny because I actually feel sick and get headaches if I don't drink a lot of water.

Fixed it for you :blushing:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Am I a 'bad girl' if I'm adding a known diuretic-lemon juice- to each bottle of water? I jus figured, the more sodium an toxins I can pee out- the better.. I typically add 2-4tbsp lemon juice to 3c water

No, and in fact, there is some evidence that lemon water does a better job of flushing toxins out of the bloodstream than just water alone. That is why lemonade on a hot day seems to quench one's thirst. But the sugar in it is a no-no---so lemon water is a better choice. Interestingly, a number of people I know who say that drinking water alone makes them nauseated, tolerate water with a squeeze of lemon much better. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?
    Seems unlikely, as it's full of holes.

I just read a military nutrition study where none of the subjects had a total fluid intake over 1 gallon/day, with water in food etc included in that, and none were dehydrated. p57 of http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA248607

Our bodies are miracles of design and include many "fail-safe" systems. Those systems will conserve calories under conditions of starvation by lowering the metabolic rate, and conserve body heat (with shivering) in conditions of cold-exposure. So too, since hydration levels are critical to survival, our bodies have systems that attempt to prevent dehydration by conserving fluid when not enough fluid is being consumed. Those systems do not work as well in those with a small body mass (like children) or in the elderly. Dehydrating conditions that can be tolerated well by healthy soldiers may not be as easily tolerated by those with lower body masses. But, just because we don't seem to suffer any ill-effects from avoiding drinking plenty of water does not mean that we are at a level that will produce optimum results. I know that, for me, I tire much more easily if I am not properly hydrated and that an optimum level for me is at least six glasses a day---in addition to other beverages. I drink two per meal---one before--saving a few sips for during the meal, and one a half hour or so after. It is important to drink sips of water during a meal as it aids digestion but it is better to drink a full glass of water either on an empty stomach or after your stomach has had a chance to digest your food, as drinking a lot of water with a meal (or any beverage, for that matter) will dilute digestive enzymes and interfere with digestion. It isn't that your stomach cannot handle a quantity of beverage with a meal, because it can---but you will get the best results from prudence. So too, it is prudent to drink plenty of pure water for a lot of reasons---not just avoiding dehydration.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    The final answer: nobody cares.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    that had virtually no correlation to anything that was in the original post, whatsoever.

The correlation was to your assertion that soldiers drink "lots and lots of water".

They don't actually, as it would mean carrying lots and lots of weight. They drink enough, as shown by that study, and it's less than a gallon a day in the case observed.

http://www.usariem.army.mil/pages/download/HydrationPDF.pdf advises that "CAUTION: Hourly fluid intake should not exceed 1½ quarts. Daily fluid intake should not exceed 12 quarts." It also has useful info about sodium intake requirements etc and Table II showing Institute of Medicine recommendations again below a gallon a day also reported at http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/585S.full

It does say "Most healthy people adequately meet their daily water needs when they let thirst be their guide. Note, however, that this is not true for athletes, military personnel in hot environments, people who are ill, elderly individuals, or infants. The sense of thirst (or the ability to communicate it) of these populations is not an adequate reflection of their water needs. The AI for water is not a suitable guide for these populations." which agrees with some of the OP.

Umm, I was in the Army. We drank lots of water, carried 2, 32 ounce canteens ALL the time. We often stopped quite often for water breaks and such.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member

The wording... the structure... it's more than just the best post ever.
    It's quite possibly the most perfect execution of the English written language in human history.

Refreshing, isn't it...almost as good a tall, cold glass of water! :smile: :drinker:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Gorilla,

Are you one of those people who insist on drinking a litre of water first thing in the morning, and a litre before and after each meal?

Thank you muchly,

Zyxst

I drink 32 ounces of water first thing in the morning. It is a good wake me up!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Bottoms up!:drinker:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I agree with you! People who are like YOU DON'T NEED EIGHT GLASSES A DAY THERE'S WATER IN FRUIT just irritate me. While eight glasses isn't the ideal amount for everyone (some need more, some need less, much like 1200 isn't an ideal calorie count for everyone) you're not going to hurt yourself drinking more. You have to drink CRAP TON of water in a very short amount of time to get water poisoning. Like... A LOT. Think frat hazing amount.

I personally find I need to drink a lot of liquids throughout the day. I dehydrate easily, and I easily polish off at least 2 32 oz Nalgenes a day, not to mention things I just drink out of cups throughout the day.
  • SanteMulberry
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?
    Seems unlikely, as it's full of holes.

I just read a military nutrition study where none of the subjects had a total fluid intake over 1 gallon/day, with water in food etc included in that, and none were dehydrated. p57 of http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA248607

It's kind of funny because I actually feel sick and get headaches if I drink a lot of water.

Hyponatremia is a real threat for some people. Endurance athletes must always balance their need for replacing fluids with the danger of hyponatremia. Some have more of a tendency toward it (some of the symptoms are nausea and headache). That is probably why many people tolerate diluted fruit juice much better than plain water alone.
  • Please tell me more about Martial Arts. I am considering this and would like to know if it is different than going to the gym day in and day out. I would like something that would draw me in.