Water Intake: The Final Debate

Replies

• survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Thank you!!! Great post. I love my water! I definitely lose better the more water I drink. :drinker: Yes, at first when you increase your water consumption it seems like you're peeing every 5 minutes. But the bladder adjusts to it after awhile & you don't need to go as often. Think how healthy your kidneys are flusing out all of the bad stuff! Thanks again, have a drink on me...cheers!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    I love this post, hard.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    1) I thank you for your appreciation of my avatar.
    I always applaud snarky retorts.
    2) I am not concerned about trying to provide counter-points in a topic where I know you will attempt to contradict anything that disagrees with you.
    Therein, the whole "debate" concept.
    I also know your friends will rally in support of you regardless of what you say.
    A vast majority of these fine people are not on my Friends list, though they're all welcome to add me.
    I have no desire to waste an entire day with you.
    Gonna go drink some water?
    I merely wanted to remind people to do their own research as oppposed to just believing whatever you like to feed them.
    I fed them water. And it was good.
    3) My only insecurity is that I feel insecure about you giving "guidance" to unsuspecting people.
    Should I email all of my personal convictions and opinions to you in advance, so I can have your approval before I discuss them in the future? You're just delightful.
    I do, however, applaud your consistency.
    Thanks. I try to stay regular. It's the prunes.
    All I did was tell people to do their own research and you jumped straight to personal attacks.
    No. You handmade an avatar that said, "I'm a lawyer so I know EVERYTHING!" prior to stalking yet another one of my threads in an attempt to "put me in my place." And then, lost.

You are adorable, Muffincake.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Time to take my giant @ss cup of water and make my way to the door..... :drinker:
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Yay - more water!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I average 20-26 cups of water a day. More water the better your kidneys will thank you down the road.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    I just took a couple pulls from the glass of ice water i have sitting next to me almost all day every day.

Can I take a pull off that? Although I prefer my water room temp, is that kinda weird?

Lol is this the wrong thread? Am I about to go pee right now and refill my water? Is drinking room temp water the weirdest thing you do?
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Thank you!!! Great post. I love my water! I definitely lose better the more water I drink. :drinker: Yes, at first when you increase your water consumption it seems like you're peeing every 5 minutes. But the bladder adjusts to it after awhile & you don't need to go as often. Think how healthy your kidneys are flusing out all of the bad stuff! Thanks again, have a drink on me...cheers!

I agree....as a health professional, the only people who should limit fluid intake are on dialysis or heart failure patients who's doctors have given them restrictions, if this is you, YOU are in the WRONG place, get off this web site!

And, My name is Peggy, and I'm a water addict! I spent 20 years in the military and Yes, DRINK MORE WATER!
    Thanks for the awesome post!:drinker:
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 449 Member
    bump for later
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    I love people who think that they can drink too much water. It's basically impossible unless your mental status is impaired, like with ecstasy or something.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I am an advocate for drinking as much water as you possibly, and safely, can. Period.

As a giant-meathead, who spends 2 hours per day shortening my neck and training in martial arts, I like water... a lot. I drink 1 1/2 gallons, per day, every day.

"But Gorilla... what about Water Intoxication and Hyponatremia??" Notice I quantified my statement with the word "safely."

It never ceases to amaze the number of people that get bent-out-shape over the "water intake issue." For me, the answer is simple. Drink more. Lots and lots more. Drink as much as you can, then have another glass. Whatever amount that turns out to be, is the correct amount... mostly because what your body doesn't need, it will simply pee-out... and take a lot of waste with it.

For some unknown reason it is now in-vogue to denounce the "Eight 8 Once Glasses of Water Per Day" guideline, and replace same with the inane notion that one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty." ... Yes... Because clearly "thirst" and "hunger" are excellent mechanisms for regulating what your body needs. I mean, c'mon, it's not like you need a website and calculator to determine how much food you should.. be... eating... oh.. hmm... Well, you should just eat food when... you're... hungry... because... um... uh oh.

(Oh no he didn't! ... Oh yes... I did.)

Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
    Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
    65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
    As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
    Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Happy Saturday.

Good post! In spite of some highly publicized situations where people forced themselves to drink water until they reached a state of hyponatremia, most of us don't consume enough water. Hyponatremia can be the chronic condition of some endurance athletes (scientists who once tested runners in the Boston Marathon determined that approximately 13% of runners in the race had reached a state of hyponatremia by the end of the race). But few of us are in that category.

As you burn fat, toxins from the fat burning will enter the blood stream and must be flushed out by drinking plenty of water.

I concur. I asked my urologist about the whole *8 eight ounce glasses a day* theory...after he got done rolling his eyes...he told me that for every ONE person he sees with hyponatremia or similar conditions, he sees a THOUSAND people who are chronically dehydrated ( and don't know it). During my latest 24hr urine collection I drank about 5L of fluids, and I actually slowed down a little because I didn't want to accidentally over hydrate and pee more than my jug could hold. He was THRILLED with my hydration level and told me that I could drink as much as I would like, that I was no where near over hydrated.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    " Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
    Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
    65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
    As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
    Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Just brilliant I tell ya ... BRILLIANT !!!!

:drinker:
  • GorillaEsq
    I try.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224

But rest assured, no one thinks your post came-off as a dire reflection of your own crippling insecurities, whatsoever. ;)

ROFLMAO
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Yay water. I am a fan.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    No. You handmade an avatar that said, "I'm a lawyer so I know EVERYTHING!" prior to stalking yet another one of my threads in an attempt to "put me in my place." And then, lost.

Yet again, you've made several incorrect assumptions.
    1)You assumed my goal was to put you in place. It wasn't. It was to warn others to do their own research.
    2)You assumed I stalk your threads. This isn't a forum with 10 billion topics posted daily. Obviously I am going to fall upon your gems from time to time.
    3)You assumed I made this avatar for you. You don't even know how long I've had it nor why. Ever think that maybe I am an attorney? Or have you considered that it could be directed at someone else? It seems like you are identifying with some negative interpretation of it. Parapraxis maybe?

Your assumptions shed light on your character, not mine.

Edited to add capitalization.
  • GorillaEsq

Yet again, you've made several incorrect assumptions.
    1)You assumed my goal was to put you in place, it wasn't. It was to warn others to do their own research.
    2)You assumed I stalk your threads. This isn't a forum with 10 billion topics posted daily. Obviously I am going to fall upon your gems from time to time.
    3)You assumed I mde this avatar for you. You don't even know how long I've had it nor why. Ever think that maybe I am an attorney? Or have you considered that it could be directed at someone else? It seems like you are identifying with some negative interpretation it. Parapraxis maybe?

Your assumptions shed light on your character, not mine.
    Adorable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Great post!
  • GorillaEsq
    Thanks.
  • Jasminebianca
    Jasminebianca Posts: 15 Member
    Awesome and I will contiue drinking my 12-18 cups a day and see the toilet pplenty, but I have to say that if I slack on my water. I feel it big time, so I keep at it. Water is so good too, It's funny how people say water is nasty or water has no taste, weel how can it be nasty if it has no tatse? Silly people water is SOOOO GOOOD AND REFRESHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!