Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    At what age should/would it be safe for me to use a product such as ginseng to speed up my metabolism?

Current Exercise plan : 5 days a week doing cardio for about 25-27 minutes doing periodic sprints. (Average calorie burn - 420), Lifting weights for about 30 minutes 3/5 days that I do cardio, and on Sundays I have two baseball games.

Any overall tips to lose, change my workout schedule (This is pretty flexible), or an answer about a metabolism pill?

As far as I know, there are no supplements that safely increase your metabolism... or even dangerously increase your metabolism enough to be clinically significant enough to merit their use. If you want to increase your metabolism, take a serious approach to weight lifting and build more muscle.

Philosophy input: even if a supplement did work, you'd have to take it forever because it would stop working as soon as you stopped taking it. Do you really want to have to take pills, powders, or potions forever when you can achieve your goals with a little self-discipline and hard work?
  • busymom11
    Options
    What is your educational background? What is your actual job title currently? My daughter is a sophomore at an Oregon university studying nutrition and plans to be a dietitian also. She wants to minor in, or double major in an exercise science also. She has been told that this is an uncommon combination of degrees. Just hoping she can find a job she enjoys after she is done.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I am starting a cleanse tomorrow with USANA products..have you heard of them, and if so what is your opinion?

Good question. I'm going to copy/paste an exert from an article I wrote about cleanses:
    Detox and cleanse supplements and diets are complete quackery. Legitimate health care practitioners have known this for years. Without explaining the science about it, detox programs simply do not work. I have yet to see one single decent peer reviewed study to show how detox works on actual fat loss. Dr. Barrett, MD goes into detail about the phoniness of detox programs. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox_overview.html
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    That's what I was wanting to hear ! For long term success ! Thanks again !
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I have asked a few people this before and always get a different answer, so I will ask you, my goal in sugar is 24 grams. I have had a hard time staying at 24 or lower, I'm getting better, but anyway, people tell me if my sugar is coming from fruits that don't count as sugar, I don't believe this is true, how about you?

Sugar is sugar. Sometimes it comes from fruit which has benefits because of the vitamins and phytonutrients that it accompanies, somtimes it comes from a candy-bar.

10-20% of your total calories can come from "discretionary calories." 24g of sugar is a low amount to begin with. I wouldn't stress about your sugar intake too much. Just try not to go overboard.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What is your input on the so called starvation mode?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Especially where genetics play the largest role in disease, how bad really is sodium (sea salt) in one's diet for someone on meds to control blood pressure?
    (at my healthiest weight and target BMI I was and continue to take serious BP meds)
    My doc said it's hands down genetics in my instance, but they never ask about my salt intake and I don't shoot myself in the foot by opening my mouth about it.

150lbs, 50yoa, Hispanic, so prone to all kinds of cultural diseases

Thx,
    Texas Native

Good question. It's a complicated answer. Not everyone's BP is sensitive to salt. In me experience though, most hispanics are. Losing weight and exercising can be some of the best ways to control your BP. For a low salt-approach I usually recommend no salty highly processed foods (like canned food or TV dinners) and no added salt.

Be sure to run your concerns by your doctor next time you see him.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 2" and currently weight 288, but want to get to 240. Is eating 1200 calories a day too little to the point where my body is going to start retaining what i eat?

Dear Lord how can you live eating so little?! I'm not Tony, but just wanted to say my husband is 6'2" and started about 280. He's been losing steadily by eating 2600 calories/day. He does a 5km walk/run a few days a week. No need to be so restrictive with this thing. Just my humble opinion. I'm a girl and I lose eating 2100 calories/day.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For more Information
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Is there any benefit to calorie cycling?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony. Thanks for doing this! I'm in Flower Mound, too. It's about time we got some rain....

Soooo....I'm 56, 5'9", 312 lbs. at the moment. I swim 45-60 minutes a day - leisurely laps. Until I started exercising a month ago, I was the definition of "sedentary", spending all my waking time at the computer. I still spend most of the day at the keyboard, except for my exercise time (trying to get moving a little more), but I assume this doesn't put me at the high end of the metabolism numbers. MFP tells me to eat 1610 a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but in my infinite wisdom, I decided to try averaging 1200-1400 a day to make sure I lost 2 - 2 1/2 a week at the beginning. I've read lots of posts about messing up your metabolism eating too low and losing muscle, but is this really a concern since I'm way into the "morbidly obese" range right now? I plan to start lifting when I get the go ahead from my orthopedist (got a healing mcl tear). I have plenty of energy and feel good after changing my old awful diet to plenty of fruits and veggies. Staying at about 40-30-30. Have I gone too far with the calorie deficit at the moment?

Hey, awesome! You might know where my clinic and training studio is located. I'm inside of Cutting Edge Physical Therapy off 2499. It's kind of by the new hospital.

To answer your question, the only concern with eating low calories for you would be long term compliance. If you hate your diet right now because the calories are too low and you can still lose weigh by adding more in, you might want to consider that. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. The lower amount of calories you eat, the more important getting enough protein becomes.

Great job on your new changes for a healthier lifestyle. I hope you reach your goals!
  • kennyrgreen
    Options
    I'm 6' 2" and currently weight 288, but want to get to 240. Is eating 1200 calories a day too little to the point where my body is going to start retaining what i eat?

Dear Lord how can you live eating so little?! I'm not Tony, but just wanted to say my husband is 6'2" and started about 280. He's been losing steadily by eating 2600 calories/day. He does a 5km walk/run a few days a week. No need to be so restrictive with this thing. Just my humble opinion. I'm a girl and I lose eating 2100 calories/day.

Thanks for the reply! Its actually not that hard for me to eat so little. I have a pretty busy schedule, so i don't have much time to eat. When i do, i eat healthy choice meals or a fiber one bar, or something along those lines. I don't cook very much, but yea, i don't seem to be that hungry eating so little! Is it really unhealthy?

Here is what i usually eat...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kennyrgreen

Its my first day on the site, so thats the only thing there.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Training for a marathon.. it is 23 days away and then doing the Goofy Challenge in Jan. 39.3 miles in two days. Anyways, I have done great with training. Run 3-4 times a week, lift 3 times a week and always exercise 6 times a week. I am losing muscle mass and becoming puffy. Is this because of all the carbs I am eating? I also put on 8 pounds.. last time I trained for a marathon I gained 10 pounds. I am trying to keep the food clean and healthy.

For every 1 pound of glycogen (muscular carbohydrate energy) you store an additional 3 pounds of water.

Your bloating is likely related to an increase in carbs. That being said, keep up the good work!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I would like to know what % of carbs to calories are best for weight loss. Also what % of fat. Should I be striving for 33% fat and carbs or will this work itself out.

There is no general answer to this. If you eat less calories than you expend, you will lose weight. Lots of people fear carbs because they can affect water weight fluctuations. However, a good rule of thumb is 1g of carb per pound of bodyfat for a non-obese person.
  • ksquared0710
    ksquared0710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Checkin' to keep an eye on this! Thanks for posting!
  • yup, I'm here watching it all as well..good questions and answers
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What is your educational background? What is your actual job title currently? My daughter is a sophomore at an Oregon university studying nutrition and plans to be a dietitian also. She wants to minor in, or double major in an exercise science also. She has been told that this is an uncommon combination of degrees. Just hoping she can find a job she enjoys after she is done.

I have a BS in nutrition sciences and working on a MS in sports nutrition and exercise sciences. I am a registered and licensed dietitian and have a certification in personal training from the cooper institute.

I own a private practice for nutrition programs and personal training in Flower Mound. I don't work for the man. Never will again.

I think that your daughters choice is going to open up a lot of doors for her in sports nutrition, corporate wellness, and private practice. Which are also the bigger money makes in this industry.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What is your input on the so called starvation mode?

Your metabolism can slow down a bit if you have a very large caloric deficit. However, it is not enough to stall weight loss. If you eat less, you will lose weight. I don't recommend a huge caloric deficit for the average person because it makes it hard to stay compliant long term and it's not optimal for preserving lean body mass.