Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• farina2u
    Options
    Just looking and learning! Thanks!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony

50 year old woman who formally weighed about 250 and now around 165. 5'4". Been losing for almost 15 months, but at a near standstill over the last 6 months. Might have lost 10 pounds. At 24% body fat.

I do cardio anywhere from 45 - 75 minutes 6/7 days a week - spinning, elliptical, running, some rowing, strength training 2/3 times a week (I lift heavy) and yoga 2/3 times a week. Sometimes do AM and PM workouts.

Question...Is this just the speed I should expect now? Can I still lose more? Am i doing anything fundamentally wrong? Ideally, I'd like to lose 15 - 20 more pounds, but not at the expense of muscle loss

Diary is open and I WILL take any suggestions to heart. I respect your expertise and appreciate your time.

thanks

I'm currently swamped with ?s so I'm not going to look into your journal but if you've plateaued, then increase your deficit. Cut calories. I know it sounds crazy because you're already doing a lot, but if you want to lose weight and you've plateaued, that's the only way to go.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I guess my question would be...I have read that your supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. Is that necessary for everyone?
    I am not vegetarian but I just avoid red meats. No real health reason, I just don't like the way they taste. I drink milk/eat cheese, I eat alot of turkey/chicken/fish in my meals, and bean soups. I know I probably don't get 180 grams of protein in a day! More like maybe 60-100. Is that bad?

Background: Went from 312 to 180s with calorie counting & exercise. Now kind of maintaining. I don't log my calories here, but aim for about 2000 a day and right now I am doing Chalean Extreme dvds with random exercise when I feel like it-I love to roller skate and I go to Zumba for fun.
    Just wondering since I lean more towards less meat in my diet but then feel frustrated when I see people saying you have to eat that much protein and such
    Thanks!

High protein is not necessary. According to my knowledge, 1g per # of lean body mass up to 1g per # of bodyweight is optimal for the best change in body composition. Protein also helps keep you full. Something to consider. If you're getting the results you want, continue as you have been.
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    Another Flower Mound MFP'r here. Also my daughter graduated from the TWU dietetics program a few years ago. She didn't go on for her RD, because of family responsibilities and has not pursued work in the field. My question has to do with eating and working out. I started getting up at 4am and doing a 1/2 hour workout program every morning on the treadmill. Then I shower and head to work, normally there before 6am. I work on a computer at a desk and have a Good Belly shot and a serving of Greek yogurt for breakfast every morning. My problem is the munchies... Unless I'm in a meeting, I end up eating almost constantly and usually most of my calories before 9:00 am. My biggest culprit is baked Lays and Sweet potato chips, (mostly for the salt I think since I'm on a low sodium diet.) Is there something else I should be eating instead of the yogurt that might help me curb my appetite? Thanks in advance for your help!! (I'm 53 year old Female, currently 178 and I'm 5'3.5")
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Tony
    I have lost 105 lbs in the last 2 yrs, but I would like to lose another 10 lbs. I eat 1000-1300 cals a day exercise 6xs a week, right now I am doing the 30 day shred on day 24 and doing alot of walking. But for the last 2 mths I have just gone up and down with the same 2 lbs. My diary is open. Any help would be appreciated thanks
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    First of all - thank you. It's nice to have a "qualified" resource.

I'm female; 5'1", 49 y.o , medium frame and 148 pounds. Just started MFP and a little confused about how much to eat. I calculated my BMR from a few different sites and get about 1235. My current exercise program is 60 min step aerobics/sculpting class 2x/week(fairly intense), yoga once/week... not much else (walking dog and taking care of kids/house).

How many calories should I be eating? Should I increase on days I exercise? % protein, carbs, fat??
    In order to be successful at weight loss - do I need to be more active?

ALL advice greatly appreciated. THANK YOU,
    Jill (in sunny California)

Start at 1235. If you're feeling too hungry and fatigued, then adjust up from there. I normally don't recommend increasing calories on exercise days unless you're exercising a crap load.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Should person always eat their calories burned from work outs to loss weight. I ask this question because my weekend work out are very inyense and long. I can burn as much as 4000 claries on a two day week end break. I have been searching for this answer for sometime. I have lost 42 pounds with just 15 to go, but it seem that the pounds are not coming off as regular as the first 38.

Al

Great job on your progress! Try cutting 10% off the top from all days and see how that works for you.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    As a Dietitian, do you not think allot of these 1200 calorie diets are dangerous?

No. But I do question the long term compliance with a very large calorie deficit.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it possible to have too large of a deficit ? I got a bodybugg (aka:body fit media) my average calorie burn 2400 so I ate 1400-1600 cals a day for a month. Nothing. Not one pound lost. So then I did a calorie "reset" ate 2400 cals for 8 wks. Gained 10lbs. (Came from low carbing) .....I'm back to the 1600ish cals. Question: what % of a deficit do you recommend ? I Appreciate the help !

I recommend starting off with a 20% deficit and then a 5-10% deficit once you hit a plateau.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks for your willingness to help us out today! I was wondering if you could reccommend a good protein shake? I like to have one on hand for the days that I'm on the run so I can stay full and stave off hunger. Thank you for your time!

The best protein shakes:
    1. don't have a lot of extra carbs or fats
    2. aren't too expensive
    3. taste good

Optimum nutrition makes a good, inexpensive whey. It's what I use. I think the wal-mart brand tastes like *kitten*.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What is your take on the omisson of grains, legumes and dairy on such dietary lifestyles as Paleo and the premise that we have not evolved adequately enough for our bodies to cope with them? Is there anything inherently toxic/bad about dairy, grains and legumes for those who have no allergies to them?

Also, is it common for people to have a negative reaction to broccoli? I get appalling gas whenever I eat it.

Omitting any food group is silly in my opinion unless it aligns with your own personal preference and tolerance. Paleo is just another fad diet.

Some people just get nasty farts when they eat certain things. Stay away from me when I eat eggs or fish.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks for your willingness to help us out today! I was wondering if you could reccommend a good protein shake? I like to have one on hand for the days that I'm on the run so I can stay full and stave off hunger. Thank you for your time!

The best protein shakes:
    1. don't have a lot of extra carbs or fats
    2. aren't too expensive
    3. taste good

Optimum nutrition makes a good, inexpensive whey. It's what I use. I think the wal-mart brand tastes like *kitten*.

I'm with you on that. I always bite my tongue when I see someone say how great BodyFortress is!! I think it''s horrid!! My personal favorites are Myofusion and Pure Protein. I like ON but find it a little thin when mixed with just water.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Another Flower Mound MFP'r here. Also my daughter graduated from the TWU dietetics program a few years ago. She didn't go on for her RD, because of family responsibilities and has not pursued work in the field. My question has to do with eating and working out. I started getting up at 4am and doing a 1/2 hour workout program every morning on the treadmill. Then I shower and head to work, normally there before 6am. I work on a computer at a desk and have a Good Belly shot and a serving of Greek yogurt for breakfast every morning. My problem is the munchies... Unless I'm in a meeting, I end up eating almost constantly and usually most of my calories before 9:00 am. My biggest culprit is baked Lays and Sweet potato chips, (mostly for the salt I think since I'm on a low sodium diet.) Is there something else I should be eating instead of the yogurt that might help me curb my appetite? Thanks in advance for your help!! (I'm 53 year old Female, currently 178 and I'm 5'3.5")

Eat a bigger breakfast with more protein. That should do the trick. I wonder if I knew your daughter because I went to TWU too.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading all the Q & A. I'm new on here and thought it was awesome that you took the time to do this for so many of us. You have enough questions, so i will jump in next time.
    Thank you!
  • Kbjust4me
    Options
    bump
  • hotsambatcho
    hotsambatcho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony..wish we were having rain in Alaska, instead we had an unusually early snowfall. I saw that you are also a personal trainer as well as a dietitian, so my question is more geared to that. I have a lot of friends doing Crossfit...what is your general impression on this sort of workout?
  • andreamkelly
    Options

Eat a bigger breakfast with more protein. That should do the trick. I wonder if I knew your daughter because I went to TWU too.

I'll ask her - All my kids went to Marcus High too. You are closest in age to Karyn and Sean.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony..wish we were having rain in Alaska, instead we had an unusually early snowfall. I saw that you are also a personal trainer as well as a dietitian, so my question is more geared to that. I have a lot of friends doing Crossfit...what is your general impression on this sort of workout?

I'm going to state my opinion before I get a ****-storm from all the crossfit paleo-tards that disagree with me.

Crossfit is glorified circuit training. The "fish flop" kipping pull ups are laughable. A workout of the day (WOD) is dumb, in my opinion.

Search on youtube for "crossfit fails" and enjoy some laughs.

Also- olympic lifts are meant to be done in the power rep range, not the endurance rep range for time.