Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Another Flower Mound MFP'r here. Also my daughter graduated from the TWU dietetics program a few years ago. She didn't go on for her RD, because of family responsibilities and has not pursued work in the field. My question has to do with eating and working out. I started getting up at 4am and doing a 1/2 hour workout program every morning on the treadmill. Then I shower and head to work, normally there before 6am. I work on a computer at a desk and have a Good Belly shot and a serving of Greek yogurt for breakfast every morning. My problem is the munchies... Unless I'm in a meeting, I end up eating almost constantly and usually most of my calories before 9:00 am. My biggest culprit is baked Lays and Sweet potato chips, (mostly for the salt I think since I'm on a low sodium diet.) Is there something else I should be eating instead of the yogurt that might help me curb my appetite? Thanks in advance for your help!! (I'm 53 year old Female, currently 178 and I'm 5'3.5")

Eat a bigger breakfast with more protein. That should do the trick. I wonder if I knew your daughter because I went to TWU too.

I'll ask her - All my kids went to Marcus High too. You are closest in age to Karyn and Sean.
    '

I went to MHS too. I was on the wrestling team and graduated 2004.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I'm going to take a break and eat some dinner. I'll be back on later. I'm currently not accepting new friend requests on MFP. Look me up "food and fitness" on facebook if you want to bookmark me for questions later.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is just a thanks and a plug for Tony. I'm doing almost all of the stuff he talks about, but it's taken me years and years of filtering through all the BS out there to find out what works. His word is gold, folks. There are no shortcuts, so do it the right way from the beginning and you'll avoid the setbacks.
  • enivedlliw
    Options
    Are calories bigger in Texas?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    This is just a thanks and a plug for Tony. I'm doing almost all of the stuff he talks about, but it's taken me years and years of filtering through all the BS out there to find out what works. His word is gold, folks. There are no shortcuts, so do it the right way from the beginning and you'll avoid the setbacks.

I was thinking the same things... good advice here everyone :smile:
  • mynameismita
    Options
    Hey Tony,

First off thanks for doing this. My question is about asthma. I have terrible asthma and cannot "push myself" hard when exercising without needing to use my nebulizer. While I'm not really looking to run a marathon or even lose weight, I do want to increase my endurance and strength. do you have any tips on effective workouts I can do without blowing a gasket?
  • TwinkieOfMyEye
    Options
    Bump!!
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Great advice all around today! Thanks, I'm learning alot :happy:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, you rock. I just need to lose the last 20. I run about 100 miles a month.
    Weight 203
    Height 6' 1"
    Last I looked I was overweight and I think my range is like 191 to start "normal."
    I generally eat healthy and wholesome, keeping the carbs and protein about the same.
    Sodium 2000
    Fiber 35 if I can make it there.
    More veggies than fruit (mostly because of calories)

I eat between 1600-1800 calories per day. The weight loss is slowing to tenths of a pound a week if that. I am thinking of cutting it back to 1400-1650.

My nutritionist tried me at much higher calories and I gained weight, so we cut it back. Can afford her any more. :(

What do you think?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Are u suppose to be eating exercise calories back?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I am starting a cleanse tomorrow with USANA products..have you heard of them, and if so what is your opinion?

Good question. I'm going to copy/paste an exert from an article I wrote about cleanses:
    Detox and cleanse supplements and diets are complete quackery. Legitimate health care practitioners have known this for years. Without explaining the science about it, detox programs simply do not work. I have yet to see one single decent peer reviewed study to show how detox works on actual fat loss. Dr. Barrett, MD goes into detail about the phoniness of detox programs. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox_overview.html

I love Quackwatch.com. I've also been told or read several times that the body cleanses itself. It does not need to be detoxed.
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump, and thanks for your time and effort providing this Q and A.
  • msjakkia
    Options
    Hello,

I have a question. I've been on weight loss challenge for 2 weeks. I've been eating clean (1200 calorie limit), drinking my daily water requirement, and working out an hour a day 6 days a week. On saturdays, I go longer, taking a boot camp class and two zumba classes. The first week I lost 10 lbs and was over the moon! I know the first week you lose the most. However, the second week I lost 0.5 lbs....no cheating and following all rules! So, I'm like wth? Any ideas on how to fix this so I don't see the same results for weeks to come? I'm a little frustrated and don't what I am doing wrong.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I mean, is it benifical for you to eat your exercise calories back when you are trying to lose weight? I'm going to go ahead and call this a myth but I'd like your professional opinion since so many people believe your suppose too
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tony, Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I have tried to lose weight at 1400 cals per day, lost a little, plateaud and then dropped to 1200 per day. Lost about 8 lb. Stopped again, increased my excercise to jogging a mile followed by some weight training....like 15 minutes alternated with crunches 5 -6 days a week. If I am not atleast 300 below my calorie goal now the scale stops, I eat regular healthy snacks and lots of greens and lean protein, whole grains, I snack on fruit and nuts. I am really not hungry, but if I go over 900 cals a day I don't lose. It says under 1200 is starvation mode....I am not starving and why do I only get the scale moving at 900 or below? I am 5' 3" tall and weigh 162. I want to lose atleast 25-30 more. But i don't want to do the wrong thing. Any suggestions?

If you are not losing weight and you want to lose more, cut calories.

Surely eating below 900 calories a day, for someone who is exercising regularly, would be rather unhealthy, especially longterm?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey Tony,

First off thanks for doing this. My question is about asthma. I have terrible asthma and cannot "push myself" hard when exercising without needing to use my nebulizer. While I'm not really looking to run a marathon or even lose weight, I do want to increase my endurance and strength. do you have any tips on effective workouts I can do without blowing a gasket?

I had asthma as a kid. I can relate.

Try lifting weights in the lower rep range (3-8 reps) and take plenty of rest in between. This is the strength building range and what a lot of powerlifters do. You can build lots of strength and muscle without having to suck air. Give it a try and see if you like it.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Friends with you now on FB. Thanks. Quick question. There seem to be so many variations in calories when it comes to red meats (different cuts of steaks/roasts, ect). I do scan codes when I can, but tend to go to the meat market for steaks, roasts, etc. Do you have a "go to" site that you believe to be most accurate?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Well, you rock. I just need to lose the last 20. I run about 100 miles a month.
    Weight 203
    Height 6' 1"
    Last I looked I was overweight and I think my range is like 191 to start "normal."
    I generally eat healthy and wholesome, keeping the carbs and protein about the same.
    Sodium 2000
    Fiber 35 if I can make it there.
    More veggies than fruit (mostly because of calories)

I eat between 1600-1800 calories per day. The weight loss is slowing to tenths of a pound a week if that. I am thinking of cutting it back to 1400-1650.

My nutritionist tried me at much higher calories and I gained weight, so we cut it back. Can afford her any more. :(

What do you think?

Get your bodyfat checked. You may not be overweight at all. That being said, refer to my fist post about weight loss. If you are maintaining on your current calories, the only thing to do is cut calories.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    What is your input on the so called starvation mode?

Your metabolism can slow down a bit if you have a very large caloric deficit. However, it is not enough to stall weight loss. If you eat less, you will lose weight. I don't recommend a huge caloric deficit for the average person because it makes it hard to stay compliant long term and it's not optimal for preserving lean body mass.

Thank you, Tony. Someone should make this exchange into a sticky note because it is asked repeatedly.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Are u suppose to be eating exercise calories back?

I don't have my clients eat back calories unless they exercise obscene amounts. Do what gets you results.