Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No question, but I have enjoyed reading through this entire thread. Thanks for your time and your practical advise!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon and signed up for my first full marathon in June *gulp*

What is your opinion of carb loading? Should I eat more the night before (I try to get my long runs in in the morning).

I have a bagel and PB prior to runs longer than 1.5 hours. I add GU for runs longer than 2 hours (have 1/2 GU every 45 mins or so).

What is the best way to fuel my long runs?

I'm still obese at 217#, 5'10. I run 3 days a week following Jeff Galloway's plan (45 mins 2x week and a long run) and I do yoga 2-3 days a week.

Thanks!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I just recently had a baby in July and I hit a plateau for the past 2-3 weeks and cant seem to lose the last 5 pounds! Any tips on how to break the plateau?
    Also, best ways to lose the belly !!!?? Or is a tummy tuck my only answer?
    I made my diary public if you would like to view it !

Thanks ! :)

Try being more consistent with your calorie intake and increase your protein intake to up to 1g / pound of body weight. Give your body some time to settle before you jump into plastic surgery.

Congratulations on your new baby!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later! But I also have a question: After reading through your replies about protein, if I weigh 247 pounds, how much protein should I be eating each day on a 1,830 calorie plan? MFP says 69, and I am usually around 100. Should I be eating more? I am 43, exercising 4x/week on average with a least two days of 20-25 minutes of strength training.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Pu. He said he isn't arguing haha.
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon and signed up for my first full marathon in June *gulp*

What is your opinion of carb loading? Should I eat more the night before (I try to get my long runs in in the morning).

I have a bagel and PB prior to runs longer than 1.5 hours. I add GU for runs longer than 2 hours (have 1/2 GU every 45 mins or so).

What is the best way to fuel my long runs?

I'm still obese at 217#, 5'10. I run 3 days a week following Jeff Galloway's plan (45 mins 2x week and a long run) and I do yoga 2-3 days a week.

Thanks!

Train high carb and compete high carb for endurance sports. Yes, it can be good to eat carbs at night if you are going for an early morning run.

Fuel for your long runs by eating carbs before hand, extra carbs during if you're running over an hour, and also a post workout carb snack (a 4:1 carb to protein ratio) for long runs wouldn't hurt.

That being said, as long as your nutrition is reasonable, you'll be getting faster and better at running just by continuing training and losing weight. Keep up the good work!
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    bump for a later read..
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with the friend question..what a great friend to have but a dietitian :)
  • MelStrey
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this. I am in Houston, Tx and the rain keeps coming. If you are still available for questions- I would appreciate any recommendations regarding my eating habits and exercise patterns. I try to mix it up but I know I don't do enough weight training (if at all). I am kind of at a loss as to what to do- I got to my highest at 310 some years ago and lost through low-carbing it to 190. Currently I am at 215 and am looking to stabilize into a healthy lifestyle and reach 170-165. My questions are
    1) am I eating correctly, I focus a lot on carbs
    and
    2) Am I eating too little or too much?

(edit) Also, 3) any advice for strength training?

Diary is open, any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks again
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hello, so what do you recommend for short women? I am only 4'11, does the 1200 calories a day apply for someone so small? I was at 162 and in about 5 months i got down to 125, My goal is around 110 and toned. Any special rules for littler women? I know it will be harder to lose the last 15. Thanks!
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Hey, my question is- Is cows milk bad for you or not? I've heard so much about how bad for you it is and that we only drink it because we see it advertised everywhere.. However I have also heard lots about how humans need cows milk in their diet, especially women.

Thanks for your time :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I have a question. :)

Glycemic Index. I don't understand it at all. Or how it relates to your body.
    I recently saw an episode on Today show where their normal dietitian said they finally did a long term study to find out which "diet" lost more weight. Low fat/ Low cal vs. Low carb vs Glycemic index.
    Winner was Glycemic Index, Low carb was a close 2nd, and Low Fat Low Cal was 3rd.
    I don't know where to begin!?

Thanks for offering up your help and guidance :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I have asked a few people this before and always get a different answer, so I will ask you, my goal in sugar is 24 grams. I have had a hard time staying at 24 or lower, I'm getting better, but anyway, people tell me if my sugar is coming from fruits that don't count as sugar, I don't believe this is true, how about you?

I'm doing the same as I was beginning to develop some pre-diabetic signs. I had my intake also set at 24 - on 1700 calories. I normally hover around 30-35 on normal days when I don't have to eat out and can cook my own meals. I don't eat much fruit - maybe one piece per week. Normally I stick to veggies and try to avoid adding any extra sweeteners. I looked at your diary and it looks like we have very similar patterns ;)

If you are interested in how sugar is metabolized (glucose, fructose.. sugar..all sugar) check out "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on youtube. Fruit is better because of the added vitamins/minerals but it's still sugar. Diabetics are cautioned against fruit and fruit juice the same as eating added sugar.. and the high fructose corn syrup in everything these days borders on criminal IMHO. It's not hard to lower your sugar intake, you're doing awesome!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tony, Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I have tried to lose weight at 1400 cals per day, lost a little, plateaud and then dropped to 1200 per day. Lost about 8 lb. Stopped again, increased my excercise to jogging a mile followed by some weight training....like 15 minutes alternated with crunches 5 -6 days a week. If I am not atleast 300 below my calorie goal now the scale stops, I eat regular healthy snacks and lots of greens and lean protein, whole grains, I snack on fruit and nuts. I am really not hungry, but if I go over 900 cals a day I don't lose. It says under 1200 is starvation mode....I am not starving and why do I only get the scale moving at 900 or below? I am 5' 3" tall and weigh 162. I want to lose atleast 25-30 more. But i don't want to do the wrong thing. Any suggestions?
  • melanielynn123
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Fellow Texan here as well. It is raining here in Fort Worth as well. I don't have a question today. Just wanted to say thank you for providing advice to all who asked. That is very nice of you and has made for an interesting read.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Tagging for later! But I also have a question: After reading through your replies about protein, if I weigh 247 pounds, how much protein should I be eating each day on a 1,830 calorie plan? MFP says 69, and I am usually around 100. Should I be eating more? I am 43, exercising 4x/week on average with a least two days of 20-25 minutes of strength training.

Figure out your bodyfat % and then eat 1g per pound of your lean body mass. Keep up the good work!
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony :)

I'm 4'11", 104 lbs. Currently at my goal wait and wanting to build muscle. I work a very active job, and am currently at 1600 cals maintenance. What would you suggest my macros be set at? Does my small stature change anything?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    tony are you accepting friends? I always have questions , but cant think of one now.

I am not on here, but if you search for me on facebook, we can be friends on there!