Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have a question. I've been on weight loss challenge for 2 weeks. I've been eating clean (1200 calorie limit), drinking my daily water requirement, and working out an hour a day 6 days a week. On saturdays, I go longer, taking a boot camp class and two zumba classes. The first week I lost 10 lbs and was over the moon! I know the first week you lose the most. However, the second week I lost 0.5 lbs....no cheating and following all rules! So, I'm like wth? Any ideas on how to fix this so I don't see the same results for weeks to come? I'm a little frustrated and don't what I am doing wrong.

Stay consistent. Don't change anything until you've monitored your weight fluctuations for about a month. Water weight fluctuates by the hour.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Well, you rock. I just need to lose the last 20. I run about 100 miles a month.
    Weight 203
    Height 6' 1"
    Last I looked I was overweight and I think my range is like 191 to start "normal."
    I generally eat healthy and wholesome, keeping the carbs and protein about the same.
    Sodium 2000
    Fiber 35 if I can make it there.
    More veggies than fruit (mostly because of calories)

I eat between 1600-1800 calories per day. The weight loss is slowing to tenths of a pound a week if that. I am thinking of cutting it back to 1400-1650.

My nutritionist tried me at much higher calories and I gained weight, so we cut it back. Can afford her any more. :(

What do you think?

Get your body fat checked. You may not be overweight at all. That being said, refer to my fist post about weight loss. If you are maintaining on your current calories, the only thing to do is cut calories.

I think I need to cut them a little. I was 40 pounds heavier when I started with the RD.

I definitely have some belly fat the the cardiologist wants gone.

Thanks, Tony.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great advice!

My question is about my boyfriend. He joined me in creating a healthier lifestyle about 4 months ago. He's 33, 6' 2", started at 450lbs. He's lost nearly 50lbs now and I'm SO proud of him!

My concern is that his deficit is usually very large. He typically eats 2200-2500 per day, which is at or below maintenance for his goal weight of 250lb. He's satisfied with his diet, feels good, and is losing steadily, but if he hits a plateau won't it be harder to break?

Thanks again!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi, Tony, Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I have tried to lose weight at 1400 cals per day, lost a little, plateaud and then dropped to 1200 per day. Lost about 8 lb. Stopped again, increased my excercise to jogging a mile followed by some weight training....like 15 minutes alternated with crunches 5 -6 days a week. If I am not atleast 300 below my calorie goal now the scale stops, I eat regular healthy snacks and lots of greens and lean protein, whole grains, I snack on fruit and nuts. I am really not hungry, but if I go over 900 cals a day I don't lose. It says under 1200 is starvation mode....I am not starving and why do I only get the scale moving at 900 or below? I am 5' 3" tall and weigh 162. I want to lose atleast 25-30 more. But i don't want to do the wrong thing. Any suggestions?

If you are not losing weight and you want to lose more, cut calories.

Surely eating below 900 calories a day, for someone who is exercising regularly, would be rather unhealthy, especially longterm?

You have to take these values with a grain of salt. These are all estimations on RMR, calorie values for food, etc. etc. Also misestimations can play in these things too.

Someone could think they are eating only 900 calories but may be eating 1200 due to mis-estimations and differences in calorie values of the food. The important thing is to be consistent and to cut in percentages and not chunks of 500 calories- as I see often done.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Friends with you now on FB. Thanks. Quick question. There seem to be so many variations in calories when it comes to red meats (different cuts of steaks/roasts, ect). I do scan codes when I can, but tend to go to the meat market for steaks, roasts, etc. Do you have a "go to" site that you believe to be most accurate?

I don't. There are a lot of foods on here that may vary in calories from site to site. The important thing is to be consistent so that when you make changes, they are relative to what you have been doing.
  • Robyn120
    Options
    bump for later!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

My question is about my boyfriend. He joined me in creating a healthier lifestyle about 4 months ago. He's 33, 6' 2", started at 450lbs. He's lost nearly 50lbs now and I'm SO proud of him!

My concern is that his deficit is usually very large. He typically eats 2200-2500 per day, which is at or below maintenance for his goal weight of 250lb. He's satisfied with his diet, feels good, and is losing steadily, but if he hits a plateau won't it be harder to break?

Thanks again!

If he plateaus he just needs to cut calories. Just like everyone else. The difficulty of breaking a pleateau depends on the individual.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm 25, 4 months post partum, working to lose baby weight. I'm breastfeeding exclusively and wondering how to calculate that in. I have been eating between 1200 and 1600 calories per day, exercising 6-7 days per week (running, HIIT, circuit training etc) between 40-60 minutes each day. My supply has decreased some, but my baby is a chunk and is still in the 85th percentile so he's not exactly starving- I'm just not storing as much extra now. I know that generally speaking it requires approximately 650 calories to produce 24 ounces of breastmilk so the standard recommendation is 500 additional per day (with the other 150 coming from pregnancy fat stores), but since I'm trying to lose excess weight NOW, should I just take the additional deficit?

I'm currently 186 (between 5'10'' and 5'11''), eat between 130 and 150g protein per day, 40-50 g fat, the rest carbs.. am I eating enough? I'd like to lose this excess fat but I don't want to sacrifice muscle. And how far will I be able to drop my body fat % while breastfeeding?
  • adrenalinegal
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old women that is 5'6, weighing 210. I just recently quite smoking and gained 10 pounds. I feel the weight and it's horrible. I have never been this big. I started gaining weight major a couple years ago. They diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, I went off pills because they said they were weight gainers, I don't have junk in my house. I don't know what to do to lose weight anymore. I am limited at times for its difficult to walk but I still walk about 1-1/2 hrs per day, eat good, etc. I find that my legs are very swollen that I'm unable to walk where my skin is tight and hot. HELP. I just don't know what to do anymore. I detoxed a couple weeks ago by a recommendation by my massage therapist, I did everything to a t and didnt even lose 1 pnd of water. The water retention is horrible.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi- I'm 25, 4 months post partum, working to lose baby weight. I'm breastfeeding exclusively and wondering how to calculate that in. I have been eating between 1200 and 1600 calories per day, exercising 6-7 days per week (running, HIIT, circuit training etc) between 40-60 minutes each day. My supply has decreased some, but my baby is a chunk and is still in the 85th percentile so he's not exactly starcing- I'm just not storing as much extra now.

I'm currently 186, eat between 130 and 150g protein per day, 40-50 g fat, the rest carbs.. am I eating enough? I'd like to lose this excess fat but I don't want to sacrifice muscle. And how far will I be able to drop my body fat % while breastfeeding?

Well the most important thing is that your baby is getting enough milk. If you start to run dry from cutting calories too hard, you should increase a bit. You can burn about 250-500 calories extra from breastfeeding daily. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid and feeding and pumping often so you don't run dry.

Chubby babies make me LOL

You may or may not be eating enough. If you are losing more than 2lbs per week, you may want to go easier on your calorie cut. Use your objective measurements as a guide.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

If he plateaus he just needs to cut calories. Just like everyone else. The difficulty of breaking a pleateau depends on the individual.

Well, that's what I've told him and why I've encouraged him to up his current intake a bit, so he's got a little more room to move down if he needs to.

Is there any way to help avoid a plateau?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old women that is 5'6, weighing 210. I just recently quite smoking and gained 10 pounds. I feel the weight and it's horrible. I have never been this big. I started gaining weight major a couple years ago. They diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, I went off pills because they said they were weight gainers, I don't have junk in my house. I don't know what to do to lose weight anymore. I am limited at times for its difficult to walk but I still walk about 1-1/2 hrs per day, eat good, etc. I find that my legs are very swollen that I'm unable to walk where my skin is tight and hot. HELP. I just don't know what to do anymore. I detoxed a couple weeks ago by a recommendation by my massage therapist, I did everything to a t and didnt even lose 1 pnd of water. The water retention is horrible.

Talk with your doctor and hire a dietitian. Stop taking nutrition advice from your massage therapist.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm 25, 4 months post partum, working to lose baby weight. I'm breastfeeding exclusively and wondering how to calculate that in. I have been eating between 1200 and 1600 calories per day, exercising 6-7 days per week (running, HIIT, circuit training etc) between 40-60 minutes each day. My supply has decreased some, but my baby is a chunk and is still in the 85th percentile so he's not exactly starcing- I'm just not storing as much extra now.

I'm currently 186, eat between 130 and 150g protein per day, 40-50 g fat, the rest carbs.. am I eating enough? I'd like to lose this excess fat but I don't want to sacrifice muscle. And how far will I be able to drop my body fat % while breastfeeding?

Well the most important thing is that your baby is getting enough milk. If you start to run dry from cutting calories too hard, you should increase a bit. You can burn about 250-500 calories extra from breastfeeding daily. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid and feeding and pumping often so you don't run dry.

You may or may not be eating enough. If you are losing more than 2lbs per week, you may want to go easier on your calorie cut. Use your objective measurements as a guide.

He's definitely getting enough- still gaining weight.

As for me, I lost almost 10 lbs the first week I cut hard (or at least the first week I tracked my calorie cut), after sitting at the same weight for a few weeks. Since that first week, I've been at a bit of a standstill weightwise but I am still losing inches...
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

Thanks again!

Well, that's what I've told him and why I've encouraged him to up his current intake a bit, so he's got a little more room to move down if he needs to.

Is there any way to help avoid a plateau?

I wouldn't have him increase calories if he doesn't want to. He should do what works for him and worry about plateaus when he gets to one. I think you're being overly cautious.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Im going to have to come back and read through this
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

He's definitely getting enough- still gaining weight.

As for me, I lost almost 10 lbs the first week I cut hard (or at least the first week I tracked my calorie cut), after sitting at the same weight for a few weeks. Since that first week, I've been at a bit of a standstill weightwise but I am still losing inches...

Then keep up with your current plans. You are doing great. Your weight will fluctuate a lot. Use the scale as a tool, not an absolute.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony for taking the time to do this.

I am 49 years old and have been yo yo dieting for years. I'm not on a diet right now, but I'm tracking my calories so I can make sure I can get my protein and fiber needs met. I'm eating around 1400 calories a day. I weigh 256 and would like to lose a 135 pounds. I am losing weight at 1400 but is that too many for me? I am 5'0 and would like to lose weight steady and healthy.

Thanks!!:flowerforyou:
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Start with 100g of protein and 40-50g of fat. Fill in the rest with carbs. See how you do on that. After your weight lifting starts to plateau, it's time to increase calories if your goal is building muscle.

Thanks, Tony!! :drinker: