Registered Dietitian in TX. Here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony for taking the time to do this.

I am 49 years old and have been yo yo dieting for years. I'm not on a diet right now, but I'm tracking my calories so I can make sure I can get my protein and fiber needs met. I'm eating around 1400 calories a day. I weigh 256 and would like to lose a 135 pounds. I am losing weight at 1400 but is that too many for me? I am 5'0 and would like to lose weight steady and healthy.

Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

It's not too many if you're losing weight. If you've been yo-yo dieting for years, you may want to consider hiring a RD and or trainer to help keep you on track and keep your expectations realistic. Could be worth the extra $$ if you really lose the weight this time. You can do it!
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fitsin10
    Options
    Hello Tony and a great big thank you for doing this Q&A. I'm 5'6, 210 lbs. exercise 5 days a week (cardio) weight lift every other day..What's my calorie intake supposed to look like? I need help with this. I'm losing nothing on 1200 a day, clean eating. Please help!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ok, y'all. I'm all done with this thread. This is all the time I have.

If you have more questions or want to bookmark me for later, look me up on Facebook. My page is called Food and Fitness, just like my username.

Thanks for all the questions. MFP is truly a great tool. You are definitely on the right path if you are using this wonderful program.

I cannot accept any more friends on MFP- look me up on facebook if you want to friend me.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Another Texan here in rainy Mountain Home.

Just a quick question...Are "white" carbs really my enemy? Try as I might I have a hard time with whole grain breads so I just don't eat breads at all. How really horrible is a white bread sandwich every once in a while?

Hello fellow Texan!

White carbs are not your enemy. Whole grains and starches from vegetables come with extra micronutrients and healthy phytochemicals not found in refined grains and breads. Eat whole grains a majority of the time but be sure to have foods you enjoy too. This will help with long term compliance and therefore be healthier in the long run.

I recommend my clients follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time eat nutrient-dense foods and 20% of the time (or 10-20% of your calories) can be discretionary calories.

^^^ yay! I am typically 85/15 or 90/10 and I'm happy with that and actually enjoy the healthier food more than the cheats now. I always feel sick after a cheat and I'm losing my taste for lifelong faves like Reese Cups and Tasty Kakes, which is actually a pretty sad revelation for me :'(
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Hoping you're still around to answer questions. Starting last November I started exercising slowly. Starting in January I started slowly eating more healthy. Come March I was a healthy eating exercising regular. I've kept it up wanting to go all the way to my goal weight. I eat about 1300 calories a day. I keep my protein in the normal to slightly higher range. I don't really take vitamins on a regular basis.

Here's my problem toward the end of July I started losing my hair. It's happened before, but it's usually about every 10 years last fall being the last fall out. It's usually lasts about 6-8 weeks and stops. So, starting in July I had about 3/4 of my hair with good grow out. It's been falling out since July about 10 -12 weeks and I have VERY thin hair now. Probably only have half my hair. I know because I pony tail it for exercise and I have the thinnest whisp of a pony tail now. I'm starting to look like I have very thin hair. I'm afraid I'm going to go bald in another month or so. There is hair all over my house. I feel it tinkle down me like Charlie Brown's pitiful Christmas tree.

I talked to my doc and she was less than helpful. Use Head and Shoulder for dry scalp and stop putting my hair in a pony tail. If putting my hair in a pony made me go bald I'd have been bald 40 years ago.

Do you think it could be a nutrition issue? Am I stressing myself out with too much exercise? I exercise about 7 1/2 hours a week.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Well shoot, I'm always a day late and a dollar short.
  • newme1850
    newme1850 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    Background story:
    I am 27yrs old, 5'10" 195 lbs.
    I try to do some cardio a couple hrs a week (in 20-30 min sessions) but this doesn't always happen.
    I admit that I do have a few bad habits - I'm very sedentary and sleep about 4-5 hrs a night. (i work 12-14 hrs a day 5/6 days a week and i go to grad school).

I have a question about my calorie intake.
    According to MFP my BMR is about 1700 but MFP recommends a goal of 1200 calories per day. I hear debates about whether or not it's OK to eat less than your BMR. What's your suggestion?

Thanks a lot!
  • eloquence_23
    eloquence_23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    - I have a question which has been bothering me alot.

When trying to lose weight do you need to count calories alone or.... calories from fat in addition to, protein & carbohydrate.

Tan xX
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony!
    I am also from Texas...Orange (border of Texas and Louisiana.) I am working with my doctor and dietitian because I have had gastric bypass surgery. I know my case is different. I was studying nutrition when I was college and plan to get back to it soon. Sadly, I put all that knowledge away for about 10 years and didn't pay attention to it or to my Type I Diabetes. I am refreshing my memory on a lot of things. Also, things have really changed a lot since the 80's and 90's! I am glad you are here to help others.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old women that is 5'6, weighing 210. I just recently quite smoking and gained 10 pounds. I feel the weight and it's horrible. I have never been this big. I started gaining weight major a couple years ago. They diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, I went off pills because they said they were weight gainers, I don't have junk in my house. I don't know what to do to lose weight anymore. I am limited at times for its difficult to walk but I still walk about 1-1/2 hrs per day, eat good, etc. I find that my legs are very swollen that I'm unable to walk where my skin is tight and hot. HELP. I just don't know what to do anymore. I detoxed a couple weeks ago by a recommendation by my massage therapist, I did everything to a t and didnt even lose 1 pnd of water. The water retention is horrible.

Talk with your doctor and hire a dietitian. Stop taking nutrition advice from your massage therapist.

I might add here, I got water retention by one blood pressure medicine I took and my doctor put me on another, a sort of water pill, to get rid of it. It worked.

Get thee to a doctor lady!
  • jehuster
    Options
    BUMP
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tony-

Any suggestions to reduce LDL?? I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in May 2011, and the lipid were bad. By November I'd taken my A1C to 5.7 my HDL was over 56 (it had been low) and my LDL was 104. Now I've beaten diabetes, but my LDL is 154!!! HDL and triglycerides are normal. I'm still wanting to lose 35 pounds. How do I get my LDL down?
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    bump
  • Tsetze
    Options
    Hi Tony! Don't have any questions but wanted to thank you for donating your time to answer questions on the forums. Have a great day.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I loved this thread...!!! :heart:
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered super fat person in Mesquite, TX. Nice to meet you.
  • mel_d1000
    Options
    Hi Tony I recently started on mfp. Some days I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by cutting back carbs. I have been trying to eat enough fruits, vegetables and protein. I've heard that too much carbs can make you gain weight or keep you from losing any. Most days I end up consuming it once a day and it's usually at dinner time. My diary is open so please feel free to have a look. Thank you so much for your in put
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Missed out on the Q & A, but commenting so I can find this thread later.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump