Cheap date.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Scheurmk
    Options
    I love going out for coffee it gives more time to talk rather than a movie then maybe go for a walk. Another cute idea is a roller rink, I work at one its pretty cheap and if your both falling being silly and laughing it could be another great way to loosen up around a new person.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Holink the first date is all about seeing if that person is compatible for you. It should be pretty simple anyway. Coffee or frozen yogurt or bowling like someone suggested sounds fun :)
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Been married for awhile now but the carving pumpkins or a local festival, bowling, and the picnic and a hike all sound great to me!!!
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do think whomever initiates the date should pay. And I believe in old school where a man pays for the date...unless the woman does the inviting.

Exactly. Chivalry should not be (and isn't to some!) dead. OP is proving that.

I too believe that a guy should pay if he is the one the asked. And vice versa if it is the girl that asked. I'm old fashioned that way too. That being said, a lot of money doesn't have to be spent. The ones looking for big spenders are probably not ones you want to date again anyway. IMHO
    Problem with this is women rarely ask and rarely pay. This was way more relevant when women weren't earning like they are now. Most of the women I date make near or more than me and I do quite well for myself. Many women are "Old Fashioned" when it suits them, then modern when it suits them. It must be nice to be able to pick & choose. I personally gew up old fashioned and don't mind paying, but at some point, I like to see some effort by the woman I'm dating, even if it's cooking me a meal or something that is not exactly spending money, but with my dating experiences in Houston since 2008, there seem to be quite a few women that treat men as their free meal & entertainment ticket. Granted this doesn't include everyone.
    Movies ? and a coffee?
    Movies are a bad idea for the frist 2-3 dates unless you spend a lot of time talking on the phone getting to know each other...or you plan a long date so the movie doesn't eat into time spend with conversation getting to know each other. Movies on the 1st is one of the poorest choices for getting to know someone. Being that you are both young, she's probably had her share of lame movie dates in High School anyhow. Be creative.

Make coffee at home. Put into two togo cups. Take her to a park. Sit down on a bench. Let her read this thread.

Pot of coffee made at home: $0
    Either someone in your home is stealing the coffee from the office kitchen, or you need to let me know where you shop! Around here coffee is about $8 a lb for the good stuff. I mean sure, it would be cheap, but not free (and I wanted to pick on you ;) ).

Hahaha it was based on the assumption that his parents have coffee, he could steal it from them ;) Even so, I just came up with an $8 date that'll probably get him laid muahahaha
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize. But if you're THAT broke, what do you think you can bring to this table at this point? Why not wait until you're more on your feet to date?

If every person in the world waited til they were financially 'on their feet' to date, there would be many more singles... relationships should be about two people learning about each other, not how much money they have!

BOOM! Nailed it. :wink: I agree!
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    So, I recently got a girls digits. I want to call and ask her out, but I am broke. I may be able to produce $40-50 out of my change jar, but I am in need of cheap date ideas.

That's more than I'm willing to spend on a girl on first date. I'm there to figure out if I'm really interested and not to impress her with my wallet.

Now that said, quite wine bars, maybe a nice exhibit. Here in NY, you can get very creative. Something outdoor... Like a nice walk follow by some coffee... Or a drink.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The last first date I had was a museum, ice skating and we ended in some Starbucks. I'm 31 and I certainly drop $200+ on a date, but that is both stupid and irresponsible. Go out there and be YOU! Keep it simple and figure out if you are actually interested.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize. But if you're THAT broke, what do you think you can bring to this table at this point? Why not wait until you're more on your feet to date?

If every person in the world waited til they were financially 'on their feet' to date, there would be many more singles... relationships should be about two people learning about each other, not how much money they have!

^^agreed.

As for the date, uhhhh there are tons of cheap things. The point is to get to know one another. Do an activity but something like mini golf, a movie, cook her dinner, etc.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is kinda unrelated to the OPs post but I don't see why some people think it's weird for a girl to expect a guy to pay for a first date if HE is the one that asked her. I'm not saying a guy should spend a lot of money, I'm just saying if you ask a girl on a DATE (ESPECIALLY if its a first date) you should pay. End of story. That's what a date IS! If you don't want to pay, don't invite a girl out to eat. lol Now, if the GIRL asks the GUY out that's a different story. I honestly think this is why guys don't seem to respect women anymore because we don't make them make an effort. Next thing you know, guys are gonna say it's sexist for us to want them to open doors for us. Yes, I can open the door myself but it's sweet when you do it for me. Before anyone says anything, I'm nowhere close to a gold digger. I was raised by a single Mom who always taught me not to have my own and not rely on a man for ANYTHING but I think it's just gentlemanly for a guy to pay for the first date if he's the one that asked for the date and he called it a DATE. And AGAIN, I'm not saying they should have to make it rain money. Im just saying if a guy asks a girl out for ice cream for a first date he should pay for her damn sugar cone!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    1.) Take her to Starbucks or Panera for coffee, and then take that coffee with you and go on a nice walk in the park somewhere.

2) Invite her over for a movie night with wine and popcorn.

3.) Take her to a fun Fall Festival and buy her a pumpkin. Sounds corny, but she will always remember you when she stares at her cute new pumpkin on the porch. :)

4.) Go to lunch at a deli-type place, then go window shopping.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Do something like take her to a park for a picnic or something. You don't need to splurge on a girl and she won't care if she's worth it.

Or invite her over your place for dinner. Not pizza and TV.

Agree. She won't care if you spend anything if she's worth the time. :) I like the picnic idea and the dinner at your place (although I would be happy with a pizza and a movie on the sofa... that's just me though. LOL)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Do something like take her to a park for a picnic or something. You don't need to splurge on a girl and she won't care if she's worth it.

Or invite her over your place for dinner. Not pizza and TV.

Agree. She won't care if you spend anything if she's worth the time. :) I like the picnic idea and the dinner at your place (although I would be happy with a pizza and a movie on the sofa... that's just me though. LOL)
    I would have no problem with an inexpensive date, but one that took as little effort as calling the pizza delivery place and turning on the TV... yuck! Plus a first date should offer more opportunity to get to know each other than just watching the same screen and saying please pass the napkins.
    On another note, I agree that when someone picks an activity and asks someone on a date, that person (male or female) should offer (and expect) to pay. The guest may offer to pay for his or her part, if he or she wishes. If it's going to be "dutch treat" as friends, where both negotiate the activity, that's different.