how many pounds before anyone noticed?

Options

Replies

• CarlaSol90
    CarlaSol90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"6' and when I started losing it wasn't until I got to 15 pounds that my dad started noticing. Just yesterday (I'm 18 pounds down now) he said I should get a belt since most of my jeans slip when I walk now. I asked him how many pounds he thinks I've lost.

"Hmmm, four?"

"No. Eighteen."

"0.0... what?"

That was kind of satisfying, haha.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    About 30 pounds. I've had more people notice this past week even though I started three months ago. I'm kind of tires of it now, cause work think I'm doing too much and I like losing.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It took about 5 pounds for my first comment. A friend saw a pic of me on facebook and said my face looked slimmer. Then, a few days later the guy I am seeing said he could notice I am losing weight.
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    Not counting my mother, who sees me every day working out, I'd say I'd lost about 25 lbs before people actually started commenting. Then at 30 lbs I started getting a lot more comments.

I think that people start noticing a lot earlier, but are reluctant to ask. One of my best friends phrased it like this when she asked about a month ago for the first time: "You've lost weight, right? Like _a lot_?"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"6' and when I started losing it wasn't until I got to 15 pounds that my dad started noticing. Just yesterday (I'm 18 pounds down now) he said I should get a belt since most of my jeans slip when I walk now. I asked him how many pounds he thinks I've lost.

"Hmmm, four?"

"No. Eighteen."

"0.0... what?"

Dads are always fun. Love 'em!
  • Laureegi
    Laureegi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Oh, aren't they and most of the time completely oblivious to what goes on around them but put on sports and there's no more attentive person in the world!

P.S. Sorry for the repeat post below as I was trying to figure out how to put a quote in my post and when I did, it created a new post rather than putting it on this one. Isn't there a way to delete a post made in error?
  • Laureegi
    Laureegi Posts: 15 Member
    Options

"Hmmm, four?"

"No. Eighteen."

"0.0... what?"

• melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No one has really noticed - I've lost about 22lbs now. That said, I think it's less about pounds, and more about the percentage of your body weight that you've lost. I've lost a little over 10% of my starting body weight (218). Once I'm down another 5 or 10%, I think it will be really easy to tell.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It was about 25lb for me. But I think that may have been because about that time it was the school summer holidays, so I didn't see a lot of people for 6 weeks, and then when we went back I got a few comments. :)
  • CRichards22
    Options
    Um, yeah! Like 50 for me.:ohwell: ..of course, close friends and family who see me all the time would say things.... But like others mentioned they also know I'm working out and eating right. So when they commented about how I was looking, even though probably being completely honest, I chalked it up to 'motivational pick me ups'. Around 40-50 pounds down was the first comment I got from someone random who sees me on occasion and since then there have been many with every pound/inch gone.

But yeah....40 pounds was a good ways into the journey! :cry:

But that's not why we're doing this right?! That's what I kept telling myself anyway.....LOL :laugh:

Keep up the great work people and do it for your mirror, that's who matters anyway!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    10 pounds. i'm short so even 5 pounds makes a huge difference. honestly i hadn't really noticed myself, just that my clothes fit a little better.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had someone notice at 15 pounds lost.
    Then someone else at 20 pounds.

Both of these people hadn't seen me in a while though. The people that I see daily haven't commented yet or noticed anything. I'm down 23lbs, my clothes aren't extremely loose or anything so I don't expect any comments for probably another 20 pounds.

Fine with me, I still have about 40 pounds to lose. :laugh:
  • OlsenG318
    Options
    I'm down 24 from my highest weight, haven't heard a peep yet.
  • ibis42
    ibis42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shoot. If you are now 30+ pounds lighter than before, I would have definitely noticed. Boo to the person that said that to you. It's not like you're "not supposed" to eat anything.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am down 40 pounds and besides family and people who were already told I'd lost weight, not a single person has noticed. It's okay, it will happen.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and gone from about 178 to 164 and I don't really notice anything and no one has said anything! booo
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I say it just depends on your overall size and build. For me, it took 40 lbs for people to actually notice a difference. I have a small bone frame and it seemed to take quite a bit of weight for anyone to see a difference. I'm now 50-ish (a little over) lbs lost and trying to build more muscle.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs before people noticed/said anything. I went from a size 22 to a size 4. You think that kind of loss is noticeable but apparently not.
  • onixrose
    Options
    35 pounds. Sadly it took that long. But I have over 100 lbs to lose so that might be a factor.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Around 25-30 pounds (10%) before a few friends started noticing it. After about 40 pounds (15%) people who it was REALLY none of their business started making comments.

It's a touchy subject though so I think a lot of people even if they notice don't say anything, especially if they're not sure. I've been asked "You look different.... new glasses?" at 55 pounds lost just because they notice SOMETHING is different but can't figure out what.

I personally make it a point never to comment on someone's weight unless I know for a fact they are attempting weight loss because I hate the culture that assumes just because someone is fat they MUST be trying to lose weight, and I hate the assumption that "you've lost weight" MUST be a compliment. The comment I appreciated most from anyone was someone who first asked if I was losing weight on purpose, and then congratulated me on accomplishing something I set out to achieve.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!