Band nerds?

Options
RedHeadDevotchka
RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
You know who you are? And if you went to band camp.....don't lie, you know you're out there. I'll admit it, I was in band in highschool and I played the trumpet. Who else we got?

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Trombone ... and still like to play ... though it's jazz/blues now :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    And to clarify, I still "like" to play ... with 4 kids, getting my guitar/horn out is not a frequent event ... but once the little one is a bit older I'll have more time again I'm sure :)
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    Total band nerd here. Flute, picolo and trumpet. I was even president of KKY the co-ed band fraternity.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options
    And to clarify, I still "like" to play ... with 4 kids, getting my guitar/horn out is not a frequent event ... but once the little one is a bit older I'll have more time again I'm sure :)

I just remember bc I played Taps at a funeral today and that's been like my first attempt to play in about a year!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options
    Total band nerd here. Flute, picolo and trumpet. I was even president of KKY the co-ed band fraternity.

Wow, 3 instruments! That's dedicated! And you crossed over from woodwind to brass, impressive.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bass clarinet for concert and bass drum for marching
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Name is Michelle and I played flute.....let the jokes begin. :laugh:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options
    Name is Michelle and I played flute.....let the jokes begin. :laugh:

And one time at band camp.....I was so compared to Allison Hannigan all the time, what with our hair and the way I talked.....oh, it was a rough time in High school! :laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I played guitar in the jazz band, but it was funny. I didn't know how to read music, but I only had to play a song once and I knew it. So, it was fine. After a while, they didn't know what to do with me in school. I was the only person in the school that had a "class" where I sat in a room by myself and practiced my guitar for 45 mintues. It was awesome. i had my own practice room with an amp and my guitar, and the key to it. I felt like royalty. That was the beginning of my rock stardom. LOL. It was kind of a trip, now that I think about it.
    I guess they figured, 'there's no way he can get in trouble doing this'. LOL. They knew I loved guitar more than I loved my own mom. So, I defintely wouldn't screw that up. Ha! They won!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't think I qualify as a 'nerd' because I only played in the band through grades 7-9, but I played French Horn and the only other guy who did was an all-round nerd. I think I've only ever met one other person who played the French Horn. I traded Band for Drama in High School and that is a whole different class of 'nerds'!!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was a football player who was also in the marching band. I'd take my helmet and shoulder pads off and grab a tuba and get back on the field while the res of the team was getting to rest during halftime. That lasted until we got a new band director who made me choose, so I chose football. I was also in concert band and played saxaphone. Which type of sax I played depended on the particular song/concert - I played them all. If need be, I could also pick up a clarinet and do a respectable job.

It's been years since I have picked any of them up, but there's this guy who plays an alto sax for tips under a bridge every week when we are walking to EverBank Field to the Jaguars games and I keep telling myself I'm going to dust off one of mine and join him one week to earn a little extra beer money for the game.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    Options
    I was a football player who was also in the marching band. I'd take my helmet and shoulder pads off and grab a tuba and get back on the field while the res of the team was getting to rest during halftime. That lasted until we got a new band director who made me choose, so I chose football. I was also in concert band and played saxaphone. Which type of sax I played depended on the particular song/concert - I played them all. If need be, I could also pick up a clarinet and do a respectable job.

It's been years since I have picked any of them up, but there's this guy who plays an alto sax for tips under a bridge every week when we are walking to EverBank Field to the Jaguars games and I keep telling myself I'm going to dust off one of mine and join him one week to earn a little extra beer money for the game.

He should do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnyQGz7bzZs
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Alto sax:)
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options

He should do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnyQGz7bzZs

That's awesome.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well...I was a band nerd, then I went to music school, and now I'm a professional band nerd (I'm a music teacher!)
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I went to band camp but didn't play in the band. I was in color guard/flags.
    Now I wanted to play the sax but I moved away the year band started and moved to a different state who didn't have band but had orchestra at that grade. Moved back home the next year so was a year behind everyone as far as band goes...they made me play the flute and I didn't last very long in the actual band. But in high school I joined color guard AND chorus....total band/chorus nerd.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Total band nerd here. I even went to college for clarinet performance, so I am hardcore :) Although now I rarely have time to get my horn out, which makes me sad. I also play piano and organ so I spend most of my time playing those for church services and weddings and stuff like that.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Well...I was a band nerd, then I went to music school, and now I'm a professional band nerd (I'm a music teacher!)

Yay!! I still work in the music industry (sales and customer service), so I talk to a lot of music teachers. The most awesome nerds there are :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    <--- Picture of me in high school at the state marching band competition. I was in colorguard and I'm still a band nerd 7 years later.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Tenor Sax ! ! ! ! :bigsmile: