Band nerds?

Options

Replies

• dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I played coronet in middle school and alto sax in high school. Since I lived with my grand parents and grandpa was a minister a weekly piano lesson was mandatory for a year or so. Since I was making no progress at that he decided to let it go. I bought a new piano about 18 months ago with plans to hire an instructor and get a weekly lesson again. Then my employer cut me down to 40 hours a week and a lesson is no longer in the budget. So now I am trying to self teach some piano. Wish I had kept my horns.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Played flute. The high school band I was in got National Championship last year. We always had awesome marching shows. Miss it a lot. Haven't really picked up the flute much since then. If I had one, I am sure I still could play.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    MEEEE TOOOO! Trumpet. School band, orchestra, jazz band and community marching band. Then I joined the Canadian Armed Forces reserve so I could get paid to play haha! Complete band nerd here...
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Band nerds are hot. Yes, I was a band groupie....

What can I say.... Bandos rock :)

Band nerds=hawtness. Nuff said!!
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Clarinet and Bass Clarinet in High School 5th-12th grade) and on into college. Marching and Concert
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Band geeks... ewww. ;)

bandgeek.gif

you-cant-sit-with-us-mean-girls.gif
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    YES! I am a girl and I played the tuba (AND I freakin' rocked it)! :laugh:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    <--- Orch dork. Orch dorks > Band nerds. End of thread.

Oh its on! :tongue:

Low brass > high brass and woodwinds > strings
  • stevesev1
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new here...just signed up and getting started. I play trumpet. Actually, I played for many years, high school, college, when I moved to LA, I played in several bands there. When I moved to the Dallas area I put the horn in the closet for several years. I decided to start playing again and have been enjoying my time getting back into the groove.

Last night I noticed under Exercise on my app that they have "playing piano, guitar, flute, trumpet..." and if I do it for 1 hour i will burn upwards to 200 calories. Does anyone have a way to confirm that? If so, I'll knock out an hour of exercise everyday practicing... :-) I'm not sure how that applies to "all" instruments though. If one is sitting down playing piano, does that burn the same amount of calories as standing and playing guitar or trumpet?

And what about Rock Band? I did not check to see if that is on the exercise list.. ;-)
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oboe, Flute and Tenor Sax. I tried the Bassoon once but that thing was HUGE! I couldn't hold it up.
  • MusicMakinSnaye
    Options
    First off, shotout to the saxes :)

I'm a proud band nerd. I played alto & tenor sax during marching season, interim basketball season, symphonic band and a short term in jazz band (too much going on). And to top it off, I'm a sax/reeds teacher (also teach guitar and beginner piano). So yeah, band nerds for life!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you can totally be cool and be in band. No dorks here.
  • iamthesweenmachine
    iamthesweenmachine Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    YESSS!!! I'm a huge band geek, actually studying music in college!!! I play clarinet and sing mainly, but also play piano, guitar, tenor sax, bari sax, bass clarinet, percussion, violin and viola. I'm also learning flute and alto sax this semester!! Add me if you wish :)
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    French Horn...played through college both concert and marching. St ill playing...just finished up our community concert band summer season!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I played clarinet and did color guard. I really hated when that stupid movie came out. Everyone snickered when I mentioned band camp. Wanna know what I did at band camp, I marched and marched and marched and practiced drills and techniques until I thought my feet were gonna fall off and after that we had sectionals where we practiced even more and had to do push ups and laps as punishments.
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Clarinet 6th grade all the way until graduation... Now my daughter will be a band nerd starting in August :-)
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Alto sax. 5th grade til graduation! Still play every now and then :)
  • throttle2009
    throttle2009 Posts: 138
    Options
    Played a little trumpet back in the junior high days.... Picked up guitar and been playing for a good 10 yrs now! does that count?? I love music!!
  • ArizonaSquid
    ArizonaSquid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Trumpet, French Horn, Piano, and Pit Percussion. I haven't played in years (these things don't work well on submarines), but I'm looking forward to the day I can buy a new horn and join a local community orchestra.

Still friends with a whole slew of fellow band nerds 16 years after graduating from high school... and we all have a special place in our heart of Rob Paravonian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi65qeJx1lM
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hana! My husband calls me a band nerd. I never played an instrument. I was the baton twirler :)
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I LOVE how proud we all are of our bandnerdiness!! Total band nerd here...piccolo for marching band during football season, flute for symphonic band the rest of the year. My high school won Chapters for the first time during my freshman year, and kept winning every year for several years after I graduated. Got to go to ACC a couple of times, too. Oh, I also did Winter (Indoor) Guard for two years. Tons of fun, amazing memories and I still play whenever I get the chance.