I got my flu shot today. What about you?

Options

Replies

• erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i get mine tomorrow! i had the flu 6 years ago and i had to be carried into the emergency room because i couldn't even walk. it felt like i was hit by a truck and every bone in my body was broken. no flu or even any major winter colds since i started getting the shot *knock on wood*.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My pediatrician doesn't really push them either, although I did get my son the flu nasal mist last year, but he wound up getting sick from it so I think we'll pass this year.

Why did you choose the nasal mist? Unless they've changed that recently it contains a small amount of live virus whereas the shot contains dead viruses, which is why it is impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. Though it will compromise your immune system for a few days which is why you are not supposed to get it if you have any other ailments, and why many people who get it claim the shot made them sick.
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As a pharmacist I must say getting the flu shot is very important in preventing illness. The flu shot will only cause the flu if you get the active vaccine. Most shots are inactive and can not cause the flu. However, the strains in the flu vaccine each year are an educated guess as there is no way to predict which strains will occur. So it is possible to get the flu even if you received the vaccine. :)

LOL. Why is it important?

I think it's hype and much mis information about, and I am very much anti-vaccine, so it will be bvery difficult for you to convince me.

Oh I'm not trying to convince you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just posting my opinion.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't do the whole flu shot thing... for all you know that could be the exact thing that starts the zombie appocalypse. My immune system keeps working on itself each time I get sick.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't do the whole flu shot thing... for all you know that could be the exact thing that starts the zombie appocalypse. My immune system keeps working on itself each time I get sick.

After hearing something to that extent on the radio this morning, I no longer think this whole zombie appocalypse thing is just a big joke. I've never had the flu shot and never intend on getting one. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

After hearing something to that extent on the radio this morning, I no longer think this whole zombie appocalypse thing is just a big joke. I've never had the flu shot and never intend on getting one. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Sounds legit...
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sounds legit...

lol, my thoughts exactly.....
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    However, the strains in the flu vaccine each year are an educated guess as there is no way to predict which strains will occur. So it is possible to get the flu even if you received the vaccine. :)
    Which is why the flu shot is pointless.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I never have and probably won't ever get one...haven't had the flu and I've got a really good immune system. My husband has to as required by the Military. I'm not against all vaccines as I think there are some that are important and do work, but it seems with the flu one (or similar ones to it) there are different strains of it and not guaranteed to keep it away. That's just my opinion though. :)
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got the flu shot for two years - no more - not after I found out what's in it, how they get it, and what it does to you and others. Besides, I do not have aids, I am not elderly, nor do I work with children - so I think I'm set. Don't fall into that money trap.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    However, the strains in the flu vaccine each year are an educated guess as there is no way to predict which strains will occur. So it is possible to get the flu even if you received the vaccine. :)

I dont' see the logic in this line of thinking. There are X number of flu strains and this shot will prevent Y of them, but not all of them. Therefore this shot is pointless?? How is that more illogical than saying the polio vaccine is pointless because it won't prevent pneumonia?
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They require the immunization or wearing a mask around patients, where I work. However, it makes me sick every time. I often get a really bad local reaction, like a knot the size of a baseball in my arm. I also get the flu like symptoms. Last year, I got the one WITHOUT the preservatives, and got less sick, but still sick. I know the actual flu would kick my butt in a huge way, so I dont complain TOO much, however I will premedicate with benadryl, and try to get it at the beginning of my 'weekend.' So I dont miss work. Sigh.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with the never get the flu shot folks. When I was in the US Navy they used to force us to get the shots every year. Like clockwork, I would get sick as a dog!!!

I haven't had the flu since I no longer get the shots, go figure ;)

Curtis

My dad was in the US Air Force and he actually got his physician to sign off on opting out of the flu shot... because my dad would get sick, like clockwork on the third day after getting the shot... every single time. The next year they allowed him to opt out and he wasn't sick any more.... it may not have given him the flu per se... but it sure did give him flu like symptoms.

Oh and I would like to add, that I'm not against the flu vaccine at all either... I just don't see them necessary for MY health at this point in time... perhaps at a later time if I ever have my immune system compromised, then there is a possibility (as I did get the vaccine while pregnant)...
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    No way. Never ever again! My husband got the shot last week, got the flu a couple days later and gave it to me and the kids >:( We recovered quickly, he is still sick.

Have you considered that he might have already been exposed to the flu before he got the shot? Perhaps if he had gotten the shot earlier non of you would have fallen ill. The incubation time for influenza is generally 1-4 days.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    No way. Never ever again! My husband got the shot last week, got the flu a couple days later and gave it to me and the kids >:( We recovered quickly, he is still sick.

Have you considered that he might have already been exposed to the flu before he got the shot? Perhaps if he had gotten the shot earlier non of you would have fallen ill. The incubation time for influenza is generally 1-4 days.
    Exactly why I got mine the last week of August. Too many people think the shots gave them the flu (impossible, it's a dead virus) when a) they were probably already incubating the flu virus at the time of the shot or b) came down with a cold or some other virus and confused it with the flu.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    Once I started to rebel against my mother and not get the flu shot I got it really bad that year and haven't gotten it since and it's been quite a long time. I also never got the H1N1 virus or vaccination that went around.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Except for some people where they get the flu shot every year, get the symptoms (or the flu) anyway... and then don't get the shot the next and aren't sick... while correlation may not be causation... It would seem some people react differently to the shot. It seems awfully suspect if you get the shot year after year, get sick shortly after year after year... and then don't get the shot and are well... while this is highly anecdotal... this is what happened to my dad every. single. year. until he was allowed to opt out and then he was hardly ever sick.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

About as pointless as a cop NOT wearing a bullet proof vest, because they don't offer any protection against a knife. You don't know if the bad guy will have a gun or a knife so yeah, pointless.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Exactly why I got mine the last week of August. Too many people think the shots gave them the flu (impossible, it's a dead virus) when a) they were probably already incubating the flu virus at the time of the shot or b) came down with a cold or some other virus and confused it with the flu.

Or maybe there's something in the flu shot that's making them sick. To me, there's just way too big of a concidence that people who never had the flu or gotten that sick before all of a sudden get the flu or get really sick after getting the flu shot. Just seems really fishy to me.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Except for some people where they get the flu shot every year, get the symptoms (or the flu) anyway... and then don't get the shot the next and aren't sick... while correlation may not be causation... It would seem some people react differently to the shot. It seems awfully suspect if you get the shot year after year, get sick shortly after year after year... and then don't get the shot and are well... while this is highly anecdotal... this is what happened to my dad every. single. year. until he was allowed to opt out and then he was hardly ever sick.

It's impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. But as your body builds antibodies after the shot your immunes system is temporarily weaker than normal, making you more susceptible to contracting the flu and other illnesses from other sources for a few days. People with naturally weaker immune systems are even more prone to this.