ADVICE NEEDED--Annoying sister in law

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    As others have said, the problem is with your husband. The moochy family is simply a by-product.

You need to have a talk with him, stat. Lay some boundaries...like they can stay for X amount of months and no matter what, after that, they need to go. NO MATTER WHAT.

Inviting family to stay without consenting your spouse...very, very uncool.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    1. You and your husband are the ones who opened your doors to THEM. You have every right to lay ground rules, especially since they pay less than half of the rent/utilities.

2. I understand that your husband "feels bad," however they need to learn how to be responsible. Explain to your husband that it isn't healthy for them to be mooching off of you two forever. In order for them to be responsible adults and good parents, they need to be able to take care of THEMSELVES.

3. Set some kind of time limit of how much longer you'll allow them to stay with you. Have your husband tell them this time limit. This will give them time to get their own place. That's perfectly reasonable.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    OH, forgot to mention a comment she made to me two days ago.

We were in the kitchen...she was cooking with hot oil and I was by the microwave waiting for my tortillas. She comes behind me heading for the sink with the oil and says "what would you do if I threw this hot oil on your back, hahaha?" This was after an argument via facebook messaging with her a day before.

Like WTF? Deranged psycho much??

oh. That's a scariness I would take on.....then she denies denies denies, right?

That's just psycho. You need to find somewhere else to stay. Seriously. And (like it needs saying) un-friend the nut.
  • WOW Christina you could have talked to ME rather then posting this **** for me to find. Dont worry we will be out ASAP.

that's funny. she only speaks Spanish. But dang, if you were her, then I'd be done with this all :)

you no dam well i speak english.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    WOW Christina you could have talked to ME rather then posting this **** for me to find. Dont worry we will be out ASAP.

Nevermind my question.

This just got good.

IrwhA.gif
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    What kind of person makes a decision like that without consulting with their spouse?

Your primary problem is with your husband, Your inlaws are only secondary.

^^^^This, This, This^^^^ Ding, ding, ding!
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member

7. they're basically living off our kindness but yet they feel they should have 1/2 of everything we have. ($900 rent and they only pay $350 plus 1/2 of bills)

Ok just to work for the devil pro bono

Short of $100 they ARE paying half. Yes it's not exactly half but I don't think that translates into "living off our kindness". Reading your rant I figured they weren't paying anything.

Granted I'm sure there are issues with who's buying food and such. But if they're paying half the bills and nearly half the rent I think "freeloading" is a bit extreme...

Freeloading....no...but since they've been living with us, they are responsible for certain things getting ruined in our house...while she "babysat" my kids, she failed to notice that they scratched up our 40 inch flat screen tv for example
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Freeloading....no...but since they've been living with us, they are responsible for certain things getting ruined in our house...while she "babysat" my kids, she failed to notice that they scratched up our 40 inch flat screen tv for example

Your kids scratched the tv and you're mad she didn't stop them? To the point where you blame her for it?

I'm on your side less and less in this.
  • Maebull
    Maebull Posts: 14 Member
    I had a mooching brother-in-law once. Thankfully he didn't actually live with us, but he thought he had free reign over our house. After talking to my husband about it several times and nothing was resolved, I told him I wanted a divorce. That seemed to fix the problem. Now we rarely see him, I actually miss him a little now........
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    so you make your husband deal with your nonsense. #gladididntmarryher
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    IBTL-Motivational_poster.jpg
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member

Your kids scratched the tv and you're mad she didn't stop them? To the point where you blame her for it?

So, if you're babysitting a kid in someone elses house (remember this is my house, not hers) you are not responsible for damage to the peoples property because of your lack of control over the kids you are babysitting????
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    It's not always as simple when it's your family. My SIL and her then 11 year old moved in with us 'temporarily' for 6 months after their last incident of domestic violence which put her in the hospital with RCMP pressing charges without her cooperation. If you've dealt with this before in Canada, you realize how bad a situation that is :( She was that f*cked up with substance abuse issues of her own. My husband was raised seperate from his sister and really only wanted to help her and I get that and asking your husband to choose between you or his family is only picking a fight. My husband regrets telling her she could stay with us because as he got to know his sister better, he found that he really didn't like her as a person yet he still loves her as a sister. 2 very long years plus 2 months, a living room set, two beds, miscellaneous house hold goods and we paid her damage deposit on an apartment to get them out of our house. Yup, but that was cheaper than a divorce. It was worse because he knew if he kicked his sister out, his niece wouldn't be taken care of or he would have kicked her out a lot sooner. No matter how much she complained to other people about how horrible it was to live in our home, she didn't look hard for her own place. I used to make myself feel better by printing out rental ads. Good luck, but you will be better off aligning with your husband than fighting over it. I look back and think if I'd started working a plan early instead of fighting with my husband, it wouldn't have taken as long to get rid of them. At the end of the day, we all want to help our family but we need to realize we can't help someone who won't help themself.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Up the rent. Split everything half and half, put up cleaning rotas, get up really early in the morning and potter about LOUDLY. If they are comfortable they won't leave.

But really why not just have a family meeting and have it all out. Tell your husband he needs to speak up for you!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

7. they're basically living off our kindness but yet they feel they should have 1/2 of everything we have. ($900 rent and they only pay $350 plus 1/2 of bills)

Ok just to work for the devil pro bono

Short of $100 they ARE paying half. Yes it's not exactly half but I don't think that translates into "living off our kindness". Reading your rant I figured they weren't paying anything.

Granted I'm sure there are issues with who's buying food and such. But if they're paying half the bills and nearly half the rent I think "freeloading" is a bit extreme...

YOUR kids scratched the TV? Why is that her problem?
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    on the way home from work buy a 12 pack of busch light......sit outside alone and drink all of them....after ur done everything will be better
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member

So, if you're babysitting a kid in someone elses house (remember this is my house, not hers) you are not responsible for damage to the peoples property because of your lack of control over the kids you are babysitting????

Your kids should already be taught to know better. Next.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Sounds like a very toxic situation for your marriage. Hubby needs to know you had it! They go or you go!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

They're not "the kids she's babysitting". They're your kids. Your kids scratched your tv. Were you paying you sis-in-law for the babysitting? Or really, did you just leave the kids with her, figuring she owed you.

You have kids. They're going to ruin stuff. That's how it works.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member

Ohh I didn't see this, seems that you're maybe a little hard on her. It was your kid did the damage. Kids can't be controlled 24/7, your a mom you know what they can get up to if you take your eyes off them for a few seconds!