Reminder: The Scale Does NOT Define You!

Options

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    great post :)
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder!
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All around greatness. Great post. Great progress.
  • brittamh
    brittamh Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this post today. My clothes are getting bigger on me but I can not seem to get past a certain number on the scale. I tend to let the number on the scale decide what kind of day I am having. I am going to bookmark this thread so I can remind myself that my scale is a liar! You look amazing!!! Great job and one day I hope to have amazing abs like you!
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you! I am about 1kg heavier than my last weigh in and was so confused as I just had my mother telling me how much smaller I look AND I have been feeling so much thinner with my clothes feeling much better. Maybe I will stay away from the scale for a while and just enjoy being healthier.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this post, it has really been an eye opener. You look awesome!!!!!!!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks I needed this! I hate that stupid scale! lol
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "The scale is a lying, cheating *kitten* who kicks puppies and takes candy from babies. Don't give it any power over you."

I've always called the scale a lying *kitten*. But your post puts it in a whole new perspective.

Inspirational pics!
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "The scale is a lying, cheating *kitten* who kicks puppies and takes candy from babies. Don't give it any power over you."

I weigh myself weekly & this morning was my weigh in day. I was excited going to bed last night cause I knew I'd had a good week & put in a good effort & hadn't gone off course at all during the past week and I couldn't wait to see how my scale had changed. Only to get up, hop on the scale & be promptly depressed to find out the scale hadn't budged...not even .1!!! Immediately all the bad feelings & self doubt & 'why am I doing this?' started to cloud my mind. I quickly went back to my home page & seen a post called 'The Scale Does Not Define You' and clicked on it...only to find a great post with the only words in the world that could cheer me up right now (quoted up top at the beginning of my post)...actually laughed out loud! Thank you so much for the quick reminder...just what I needed this morning!

PS-you look amazing & congrats on your continued success :)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    OMG awesome !
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This sounds awfully familiar.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I'm glad it's helping. :smile:

I do weigh myself daily, sometimes more than once a day, but mostly to laugh at the scale. And so I can understand fluctuations better. Pizza night will add 2 pounds the next day, and I know damn well I didn't have 7000 calories of pizza. And if I run about 5 miles, the scale will be down about 3 pounds because I sweat so much. I don't burn 10500 calories running 5 miles. :wink:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the reminder that there's more to being fit than a number. You are as always truly inspiring. Keep posting :)
  • krizaten
    krizaten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! You are doing awesome and the photos really help show the truth you write!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I'm glad it's helping. :smile:

I do weigh myself daily, sometimes more than once a day, but mostly to laugh at the scale. And so I can understand fluctuations better. Pizza night will add 2 pounds the next day, and I know damn well I didn't have 7000 calories of pizza. And if I run about 5 miles, the scale will be down about 3 pounds because I sweat so much. I don't burn 10500 calories running 5 miles. :wink:

I LOVE this post! :-)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I can't count how many threads I've seen just in the past week that were along the lines of "My clothes are getting looser and I look thinner, but the DAMN SCALE WON'T BUDGE! How can I make the number drop!?!" :sad:

Stop it. Just stop it. Now.

If you're getting smaller, you're doing things right. It doesn't matter what the effect the earth's gravitational pull has on you at any given moment. No one knows that number but you.

To illustrate that point... Last October, I reached my goal weight of 126 pounds. I wanted to be 9 stones. No, I'm not British, but I like the number nine. And actually, I got to 125.5 pounds. To celebrate my victory over the bastardly scale, I bought new jeans.

These are those jeans last year.

IMG_2839.jpg

Happy camper. Loved how I looked.

SINCE then, the scale has bounced around quite a bit. Between being on the bench about six weeks in January with a stress fracture, some trial and error with trying to find exactly what maintenance is, a few lazy weeks in June when I lost my mojo and then caught the flu... But I stuck with it, and tried to ignore the scale best I could. I eat about 2100 calories a day Monday through Friday, don't log on the weekends at all, run 3x a week and lift weights 3x a week (stronglifts 5x5, just started week 2, but I've been lifting).

I'm currently about 132-133 pounds. And here's those same jeans today.

IMG_5213.jpg

I'm about 7 or 8 pounds heavier, but I could smuggle a loaf of bread down my pants.

And that's why I always say... Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos, not just by the scale. The scale is a lying, cheating *kitten* who kicks puppies and takes candy from babies. Don't give it any power over you.

Like I said in a couple threads today... Losing pounds is like getting a promotion at work with a big fancy title, but no pay raise. Losing inches without much in the line of pounds is like getting a big fat pay raise. Which will matter more in your day to day life?

(Edit: I hate how the camera flash washes out all definition. :grumble: )

First - You look amazing!!

Second - Well written and SO true!!!!!

And lastly - it totally drives me nuts when people say "My clothes are getting looser and I look thinner, but the DAMN SCALE WON'T BUDGE! How can I make the number drop!?!" WOMEN STOP YOUR OBSESSION WITH THE BATHROOM SCALE!! Don't let it determine how you should feel about your body and your efforts!!!!
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    You ROCK! Thank you!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Actuate16
    Actuate16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't own a scale, it can be your best friend or your worst enemy and I just want to feel good about what I am doing, eating and how I am staying on track. How clothes fit and how I feel about myself are much better indicators than a number on a scale. I used to find myself so down because the scale didn't move and it would make me want to give up. Now I just think about how good I have been doing and staying healthy and I know the weight will come off. This works better for me because my attitude stays consistently better.