CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to have to try some of these. I usually make chili a lot this time of year but my recipe isn't exactly low in calories so I'll need some new ones to try
  • Cindyearl
    Cindyearl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Curry Chicken in the Slow Cooker

I made mine with Thighs- no skin, and bone-in, but the recipe called for boneless thighs that were quartered, and I just put the thighs in as they were.. I think it tasted okay ;}

1 1/2 pounds of chicken ( I just put in 4 thighs without any skin)
    3-4 potatoes
    1 apple
    1 can chicken broth
    2 TBSP curry

I chopped up the apple (after being cored) and left the "skin" on, peeled the potatoes and cut them into chunks (you want about 2 cups or more) and mix that all together with the chicken, and curry and chicken broth- I put it in the slow cooker and mixed in there, and put on high for about 5 hours, and then served with rice- normally would avoid the rice with the potato factor, but my boys aren't big on eating everything yet- so getting them to try a bite of everything, and wasn't sure if the curry would be too spicy for them. Thinking next time I'll add more veggies, like carrots, celery, etc. The recipe also said you could cook on low for about 8-9 hours I think, but I didn't have that much time after church/Sunday School.
    Sorry, I don't have a calorie count on this.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not so healthy, but yummy!

Crock Pot Chocolate Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
    4 oz sour cream
    8 oz heavy cream
    1 pkg instant chocolate pudding
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup oil
    3/4 cup water

1 cup chocolate chips

Mix top ingredients together. Make sure to beat this together really well, just like a cake, then add the chocolate chips. Pour into lightly greased 5qt crock pot, metal coffee can or Crock Pot Cake Bake pan. Cover.

Cook 2 ½ - 3 hours on high or 5 -6 hours on low.

My crock pot has a warm setting so it starts keeps the cake warm without continuing the baking process.
  • 13turtles
    Options
    Really good and it freezes great!

Chile Verde

4 pound chuck roast, or pork shoulder/butt (I used a pork shoulder)
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 small onion, diced
    10 tomatillos, diced (peel off the outer wrapper, if they have one)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons sage
    1 Tablespoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile (mine were mild, your choice)
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (mine had green chilies as well)

The Directions.

1. I used a 6 quart rock pot. Trim any visible fat from the meat, and plop into your slow cooker stoneware.
    2. I did this the lazy way and used my food processor.
    3. Pulse bell pepper and onion until they are small chunks.
    4. Add this to the pork.
    5. If your tomatillos have the leafy-outer skin left on them, take the skin and stem off, wash carefully and to the same food processor, no need to clean it first! Pulse.
    6. Add spices, and pulse again.
    7. Pour the mixture into the crock pot, and add in the cans of the diced chiles and the tomatoes.
    8. Stir a bit to get the spices down the sides of the meat.
    9. Add chopped cilantro to the top.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, high for 6, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

Serve with rice, beans, tortillas, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Cilantro-Lime Rice

Simply make jasmine rice (or brown rice) according to the package directions. When it is finished, remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, add the juice of ½ a lime per 1 cup of cooked rice, and chopped cilantro to your taste. I also add a little salt, and about 2 tsp of olive oil to help the rice separate.
  • 13turtles
    Options
    Fantastic for parties!!!

Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 ½ Cups Rotisserie Chicken, chopped (You can use any chicken, but I find this has the best flavor)
    16 oz. cream cheese, softened
    ¾ Cup Blue Cheese Dressing (you can also use ranch)
    2 Cups Shredded Cheese (I use a mix of sharp cheddar and monetary jack)
    1 Cup Frank’s Buffalo Sauce (add more for extra spice)
    2-3 Scallions – Diced (optional)
    1 medium tomato – Diced (optional)

Crock Pot
    Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Pour into small crock-pot. 1.5 to 2 quart size. Heat on low for 2 hours until heated through. Stir occasionally. Serve with cut celery and carrots or with tortilla chips.

Oven
    Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Fold into a 1½ quart casserole dish. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Serve with cut celery and carrots or with tortilla chips.
  • 13turtles
    Options
    A football favorite!

Beefy Nacho Dip

1 block Velveeta Cheese (I usually use the light version) – cut into pieces
    1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup – condensed
    2 cans Rotel tomatoes, drained (if you can’t find Rotel, use tomatoes with green chilies)
    1 pkg. Taco Seasoning – or more to taste
    2 can Kidney beans – drained and rinsed
    1 lb. Ground Beef – cooked and drained

Combine all ingredients and heat until cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips.
  • 13turtles
    Options
    I know there is already a taco soup, but this is my version. It's really a good soup and it freezes well.

Tasty Taco Soup

1 pound ground beef or turkey cooked
    1 large yellow onion chopped
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
    1 28oz can diced or stewed tomatoes
    1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
    1 15 oz can red or kidney beans, drained
    1 15 oz can navy beans, drained

Brown the meat with the onion until cooked through. Drain. Mix in taco and ranch dressing seasonings. Add the diced tomatoes, and all of the beans. Mix in enough additional water to cover everything. Simmer until heated through.

Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.

This recipe is also great as a vegetarian soup. My family loves to eat to on nights when we need something fast to fix. Instead of spicy chili which doesn’t always agree with my husband, I make this soup which still has a kick. People always comment on how wonderful it tastes. Hope you like it.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump

love crock pot recipes. So much less time I have to spend in the kitchen
  • kimberlysa
    kimberlysa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    8 boneless Pork Chops at least 1/2 in. thick
    1 packet Hidden Valley Seasoning Packet
    1 or 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup - if you use 1 can, then add 1 can of water

Mix all ingredients together in crock pot, cook on Low for about 6 hours.

Makes the most delicious, tender pork chops ever.... with a great gravy.

This is a great recipe, the best pork chops ever!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I need to use mine more! Bumping for new ideas!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Easy Chicken Curry!!!

1 whole chicken cut up, skin and fat removed completely
    1 onion chopped up
    1 tbsp Garlic powder
    1/2 tbsp Ginger powder
    2 tbsp Curry powder ( spicy is good!)
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp of butter or olive oil or coconut oil
    chopped Cilantro

Mix the curry powder in one cup of water until dissolved.
    Pour over chicken in the crock pot.
    put the rest of the ingredients in, making sure its well distributed ( i stick my hands right in the crockpot and mix it all up

Cook on high for 4 hrs or until meat falls apart and the gravy is not watery.

Add chopped Cilantro when its done. OOooo the gorgeous aroma!!!!!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south so I'm not sure if anyone has tried Turkey Necks before.. they are kind of hard to find in most grocery stores but since they are such a staple here, they are sold everywhere.

You'll need a
    package of Turkey Necks ( I prefer smaller ones but large will do)
    A Yellow Onion
    Celery
    Bell Pepper
    Salt and Pepper to Taste
    A Pinch of Sage
    Chicken Broth or Water (Which ever you'd like)

Wash your turkey necks off
    place them in the slow cooker and make sure they are totally submerged by water or broth.
    add your celery, onion, and bell pepper
    you can cook them on high for about 5 to 6 hours until the meat is peeling off the bone (that's how you know they are done)
    after the 5 to 6 hours has passed you may notice once you get home their a white foamy substance covering the water.. that's normal. I scoop it out and Add two cups of rice and after it cooks you're ready to eat.

:)

My mom normally makes her's over the stove to tonight will be my first time trying this in the slow cooker Either way it's super yummy and filling :)
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking a chunk of meat in a large crockpot, you can make baked potatoes in the crock at the same time! Just scrub medium-sized russet potatoes, wrap in foil, and place along the edges of the crock pot on top of the meat.

I often do this when I'm cooking chicken, since we don't eat red meat. I'll just dump seasoned, skin-on pieces at the bottom of the crock (these can even be FROZEN, straight from the freezer, if you'll be cooking on high for 6+ hours) and then put my wrapped potatoes on the top, around the edges where the heat is highest.

When it's cooked, I remove the potatoes and chicken, and then whisk cornstarch into the drippings left into the pot. Instant gravy! We use this on the potatoes instead of loading them with butter. The chicken gravy made this way is suprisingly low in fat; if you refrigerate it, only a very small fat layer rises to the top. Now all the meal needs is a quick salad to complete it!
  • Momma1213
    Options
    Bump
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    At home right now I have 4 pork sirloins and a bottle of Kansas City Style BBQ sauce in the cooker. On low all day, and it's tender and juicy by dinner. It's one of the few things I have time to put on when I have to leave the house really early. My husband and I love it.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound lovely. I'd never have thought of doing a whole chicken in the slow cooker. Bound to be more economical than the big oven.

Thanks all for sharing these recipes.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    My fav crockpot soup for winter

dried beans soaked and rinsed ( as many different types you can find)
    6 bay leaves
    3 fresh rosemary sprigs
    4 onions diced
    drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
    ( if you're a meat eater, add one diced small slab of breakfast ham)

fav crockpot meat dish

large pork shoulder as much fat trimmed off as possible
    3 large onions diced or cut into small wedges
    3 bay leaves
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    10 juniper berries
    5-6 sprigs cilantro
    when meat is about an hr from being done add 3 large carrots diced in 1 inch pieces

These both sound amazing!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Pot Roast!

Ingredients

1 (5 pound) bone-in beef pot roast (I used a 2lb roast, it's just me and bf)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, or as needed
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    8 ounces sliced mushrooms
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 1/2 cups light chicken broth
    3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
    2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
    1 sprig fresh rosemary (I used dried)
    2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried)

Directions

Generously season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the top until well coated, and pat it into the meat. Shake off any excess.
    Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear the roast on both sides for 5-6 minutes each, until well browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
    Reduce the heat to medium and stir in mushrooms and butter; cook for 3-4 minutes.
    Stir in onion; cook for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add garlic, stir for about a minute.
    Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook for another minute.
    Slowly add chicken stock, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Remove skillet from the heat.
    Place carrots and celery in the slow cooker. Place roast over the vegetables and pour in any accumulated juices. Add rosemary and thyme.
    Pour onion and mushroom mixture over the top of the roast. Cover slow cooker, turn to high and cook the roast for 5-6 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
    Skim off any fat from the surface and remove the bones. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I served it over no yolk egg noodles. Mashed potatoes would be good too. It's not the healthiest recipe but it was amazing!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Roasted pork (this is the pork that goes into Cuban sandwiches)

1/2 a pork tenderloin (about three pounds)
    3 large cloves of garlic, halved
    1 cup of orange juice
    juice of 1 lime
    salt, pepper, cumin and MEXICAN oregano to taste. Yes, the kind of oregano makes a difference)
    1 cup of chicken broth
    ~2 TBS of olive oil

Wash and trim the pork loin of excess fat, pat dry. Cut slits into the pork and slip the garlic in. This will help season the pork.Add seasonings and rub the pork loin with said seasonings on both sides. In the crockpot BOWL, add the orange juice and lime. Put the pork loin in the bowl, cover with lid and let it hang in the fridge. I like to flip the pork over right before bed time to cover both sides evenly.

The next morning, heat your favorite pot, Dutch/French oven and add enough olive oil to coat said pot. Add the pork loin and brown for about three to five minutes per side. You are not cooking your meat all the way through, you are just creating a nice, beautiful and glorious braise. When that’s done you want to remove the pork loin and take the left over orange/lime juice and pour it into the pot. Here, you will scrape the meaty bits (technical term)and start to reduce the juice. Once boiling, add the chicken broth and simmer until boiling again. Pour the mixture over the pork loin and turn your crockpot on at low. This will cook for about 6.5-7 hours. If you’re in a time crunch, put that bad boy on high for about four hours. You’ll know your pork is done when 1. you can smell it all throughout your house and 2. when the pork falls apart with a fork or tongs. At that point you want to taste for seasoning.