CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GetFitwithBetsy
    Options
    1 pound ground chicken cooked and browned
    1 can navy beans rinsed
    1 can white kidney beans rinsed
    1 can of rotel
    .5 can of water if needed.

Season with Chili Powder, Garlic Powder. Double the recipe if needed. Toss in the crockpot. YUMMY!
  • JBrown9538
    JBrown9538 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Red Wine Short Ribs
    (measurements can be approximated!)

1 cup red wine, such as Merlot
    2/3 cup of ketchup
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tbls light or dark brown sugar
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    4 pounds beef short ribs (no need to trim)
    2 medium or 1 large yellow onion, chopped

Combine first 6 ingredients in your crock pot, stir them together until blended. Add ribs in, submerging them in the sauce, or you can stack them. Add onions over the top. Cook on LOW until tender – 7-8 hours (I leave mine on all day, no choice!)

Transfer meat to a plate. Spoon the fat off the top of the liquid and pour a little sauce over the ribs before serving.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JBrown9538
    Options
    Slow Cooker Salmon

24 oz. bag baby spinach leaves
    1-2 lbs salmon filets
    1 lemon, sliced
    Dill to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    ¼ cup chicken broth.

Fill slow cooker with spinach leaves. Top with salmon filets and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dill to taste. Top with lemon slices and pour chicken broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Salmon should flake and be fully cooked.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1 Pork Loin Roast
    1 Packet Low Sodium Brown Gravy Mix
    2 Cups Water
    Pepper

Put pork roast in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Microwave 2 cups water to a boil, pour in a bowl and add brown gravy packet while whisking lumps out~~~they all don't always come out. Pour over roast then coat top of roast heavily with pepper.

An hour or so before serving, take roast out and cut into thick chop size pieces and return to crock pot.

Serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes. This is one of my all time favorite dinners!!

Also~~~you can add a bag of sour kraut when you put the roast in initially. That cooks all day in the gravy and the juices. Heavenly! : )
  • Bnspired711
    Bnspired711 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Chicken White Bean Chili~ It is the season and this is really good!
    Only 180 calories and 3g of fat per cup :)

Brown 1lb 99% lean ground turkey
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp chili powder, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 or 2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
    15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
    2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
    fat free sour cream for topping (optional)
    chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground chicken in a pan. Add beans, broth, pumpkin filing, green chile, and seasonings except the cumin into your slow cooker. Saute the onion and garlic with the cumin and olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground chicken and sauteed onion and garlic to the slow cooker once its ready. Slow cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, remove bay leaves before serving.

I added chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder to the ground chicken while browning it because I like lots of flavor.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html

Had this taco chili last week and it was the best....although I omitted the cilantro, the fam isn't fond of it so I left it out.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/slow-cooked-apple-butter.html
    My youngest son's all time favorite recipe, he would die if he didn't have apple butter.

I also enjoy homemade chicken noodle soup in the crock pot.
    3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
    bag of mixed frozen veggies
    one box of fat free less sodium chicken stock, or you could make your own stock
    and just enough water to cover the chicken.
    Cook on low for 6-7 hours
    remove chicken and either shred or chunk the meat, replace chicken
    You will have to boil the egg noodles on the stove top because they don't hold up well in the crock pot. You can then either add them to the soup or you can put individual servings into the bowl and top it with the soup.

I have also used this soup recipe and exchanged the noodles for some brown rice.....both ways are delish
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump for later.... :)
  • droppinpounds130
    Options

When it's cooked, I remove the potatoes and chicken, and then whisk cornstarch into the drippings left into the pot. Instant gravy! We use this on the potatoes instead of loading them with butter. The chicken gravy made this way is suprisingly low in fat; if you refrigerate it, only a very small fat layer rises to the top. Now all the meal needs is a quick salad to complete it!

Awesome idea, never thought to make gravy that way. thanks for sharing!!
  • droogievesch
    Options
    bump
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    bump bump to save :)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks
  • gretchen1224
    Options
    The very first recipe-I make it with no liquid and I ball up aluminum foil to set the chicken on. It keeps it from getting too fally aparty. I season it with season salt and it tastes just like a grocery store rotisserie chicken.
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    bump
  • bhaas1972
    bhaas1972 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    bumping too, thanks
  • JBrown9538
    Options
    Asian pulled pork roast

2-3 lb. pork roast
    Salt, pepper, garlic, ginger (enough to cover the whole roast)
    1 large onion, sliced
    1/2 cup Soy Vay (I used Hoisin Garlic flavor)
    1/2 cup Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce
    Cooking spray

Spray the liner of the crock pot with cooking spray. Rub the salt, pepper, garlic & ginger all over the pork roast. Place sliced onion in the bottom. Place the roast on top. Mix the 2 sauces together and pour over the roast. Cook on low for 8 hours. At 7.5 hours, pull the pork apart and let it cook for 30 minutes more. Add a little chicken broth if you think it needs more liquid. I serve it over steamed basmati rice with steamed broccoli on the side.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Beef Stroganoff (9 Points)

1 1/2 lb. beef, trimmed -- * see note

1 c chopped onion

8 oz. sliced mushrooms

1 tbs. Dijon mustard

2 tsp. dried parsley

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. dill -- dried

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 clove garlic -- minced

1/2 c all-purpose flour -- * see note

1 can fat-free beef broth -- * see note

3/4 c lowfat sour cream

6 c egg noodles, Barilla -- cooked, * see note

Trim fat from steak. Wrap steak in heavy-duty plastic wrap; freeze 30 minutes. Unwrap steak; cut steak diagonally across grain into 1/8-inch thick slices. Place steak, onion, and next 7 ingredients in a 3-quart electric slow cooker. Combine flour and broth in a bowl; stir with a whisk until blended.

Add broth mixture to cooker; stir well. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or until tender. Turn slow cooker off; remove lid. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Serve stroganoff over noodles.

Notes: Had 1 1/2 lbs. of extra lean stew beef in cubes and used it just as it was). To make up for the extra beef I increased the broth to use the whole can (was 1 cup), and the flour (was 1/3 cup).

And, because the extra beef gave me additional servings, I increased the noodle amount to give me the right nutritional analysis.

Per serving: 436 Calories; 8g Fat; 38g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 133mg Cholesterol; 409mg Sodium

NOTES : 9 WW points