CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Save
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump, I love to cook in my crockpot, I have a roast with potatoes, carrots and onions cooking it now.
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    bump for later....love using the crockpot - will be back later to add my recipe !! Awesome idea
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    (Sorry if this has already been posted, but we love it so I wanted to share)

Men's Health Lamb Curry
    Time: At least 3 hours, unattended

Homemade curry powder**
    **We usually just use purchased Hot Madras Curry powder
    1 Tbsp minced garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger
    2 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into chunks
    1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar or other mild vinegar
    1 cup chicken stock
    Chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Add all the ingredients except the cilantro to a slow cooker and set the heat to high. (If you'll be out for a while, set the heat to low.) Cover and simmer for at least 3 hours, until the lamb is tender. If the mixture dries out, add water.

2. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and garnish with the cilantro. Makes 4 to 6 servings

You can also sub coconut milk (not light!) for the chicken stock. And I usually add almost twice as much ginger. So good.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1 Jar Salsa
    1 (or 1/2 packet depending on your opinion) Packet of Taco Seasoning
    4 Whole Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
    1/4 cup Water

Throw it all in the crockpot and let sit for 8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high! If you want it done faster than 4 hours, brown each side of chicken breasts in a skillet for 2 min on each side, dice or cut into 4 pieces and then place in crockpot with other ingredients.

I seriously love this simple recipe, the chicken is always super moist and flavorful. I use it on salads and for fajitas!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hah! CROCKtober...love it! Here is a 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili I found a while back...you can go to this link to see more, but I am listing the recipe here also. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bean-vegetarian-chili-50400000124285/

NOTE: I prefer mad spicy/hot chili...add Pepper Jack to your heart-burn's content :tongue: :laugh:

Ingredients:
    1 3/4 cups organic vegetable broth
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (2 peppers)
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers (about 1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation:
    1. Combine first 12 ingredients in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

2. Ladle soup into bowls; top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • FrauMama
    Options
    Another crock pot recipe I make all the time is sort of like carnitas...I just throw this in and let it cook on high all day:

Pork Butt
    Sea Salt
    Liquid Smoke
    GOOD salsa verde (i.e. not canned...fresh, if you make your own, or else a refrigerated fresh container of it)
    Sliced red onion
    Splash of tequila, if you have some handy.

Cook all day, then take desired amount of meat out, shred it, put on a broiler pan with some sliced red/green/yellow peppers and onion, some more salsa, and roast/broil for about 10 minutes, until the top gets crispy. Towards the end, add some grated Monterey Jack cheese. Eat on top of shredded lettuce (or in tortillas, if you eat those!)
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • FrauMama
    Options
    1 Jar Salsa
    1 (or 1/2 packet depending on your opinion) Packet of Taco Seasoning
    4 Whole Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
    1/4 cup Water

Throw it all in the crockpot and let sit for 8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high! If you want it done faster than 4 hours, brown each side of chicken breasts in a skillet for 2 min on each side, dice or cut into 4 pieces and then place in crockpot with other ingredients.

I seriously love this simple recipe, the chicken is always super moist and flavorful. I use it on salads and for fajitas!

This is also good with a can of black beans thrown in. :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bump for sure!! I have so many crock pots, my husband laughs at me......i guess I have a fetish :)
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump for new ideas this season
  • cathead9
    Options
    >>Roasted chicken in a slow cooker .

1 chicken, rinsed and patted dry
    seasoning- use whatever you like - I usually use lemon pepper and garlic salt, and sometimes get more creative. Today I used a little pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, and paprika.
    season your chicken- in the cavity, and on the outside, place in the slow cooker breast side up
    I usually drizzle a little EVOO on the chicken, and maybe give a brief rub
    1/2 cup of white wine

(on the liquid side- I tried the recipe with 1 cup of water, then changed it to 1/2 c of white wine, 1/2 cup of water, then just went a heaping 1/2 cup of white wine, and add water if I need to).

cook in slow cooker on high for 1 hour, then on low 6-8 hours, until chicken is done- this will depend on how big the bird is, and your slow cooker.

Hubs loves this one too, says it smells like "Thanksgiving" when he comes home. >>

I cook my chickens in the slow cooker too, with a recipe very similar to yours. I always put the chicken breast down and it keeps the meat very juicy.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I;m trying this one out tomorrow. Looks yummy!
    http://www.recipage.com/sr.php?term=taco+soup&init=Search

Slow-Cooker Taco Soup
    by Mama Pea
    Prep Time: 5 min.
    Cook Time: 6-10 hours

Ingredients (Serves 6)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    One 14 oz. can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 c. frozen corn kernels (I recommend Trader Joe’s roasted corn)
    One 28 oz. can or two 14 oz. cans fire-roasted or regular organic diced tomatoes in juices
    2 c. vegetable broth
    1 T. + 1 t. chili powder
    1 T. + 1 t. ground cumin
    1/4 t. garlic powder
    1/4 t. onion powder
    1/4 t. dried oregano
    1 t. sea salt
    Garnishes: non-dairy or organic sour cream, chopped cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, cornbread, etc.
    Instructions
    Combine onion, beans, corn, tomatoes, broth, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and salt in a slow-cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. Adjust seasoning to taste.
    Serve with sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips and/or cornbread, if desired.
    Oh! I love Mama Pea's site, she's got some good ideas and healthified, which is why I love her site!

to try over the weekend!
  • Kolmi01
    Kolmi01 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump