Smokers – selfish scum or persecuted minority?

Options

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Although you should feel bad when you see a child sitting in your establishment.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/TobaccoCancer/secondhand-smoke

Why? I didnt bring them there. Also second hand smoke isnt bad for you. As the study I posted proves. I grew up around smokers, I have no ill effects. If I can live in a house full of smokers for 18 years and have no health problems, then surely spending an hour in a restaurant is not doing any harm.
  • EverlastBoston
    EverlastBoston Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Please show me, I can only imagine....I'll put my money on the ACS knowing what there talking about.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    What ever happen to personal choices and personal responsibility? Whatever happen to a property owners right to decide what they are going to allow on their own property?

Personal choice and responsibility ends when you do something in public that harms someone else, and 2nd hand smoke is more deadly than doing it yourself. But saying that...I do think that in bars you should be able to allow smoking. But any place that allows children, I think it should be banned.

I also live in Ohio, and it was the best thing that happened in my opinion.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It is air pollution that kills...they and others in proximity. Should others not be protected from an environmental TOXIN that they do not desire. AFTER ALL THIS COUNTRY BANNED DDT FROM BEING SPRAYED IN THE STREETS TO KILL INSECTS WHEN IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT IT WAS TOXIC TO HUMANS!!!

YES, Selfish is not the right word (s) for them. And Banned any place in Public! Let them use their "DDT' on themselves!

ETA: ALL of My Siblings smoke and I feel the same way...I see them rarely and leave their company as quickly as possible because they have NO inhibitions about lighting up around Me or their kids, so i have no Inhibitions about saying "Later"!!!
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    What ever happen to personal choices and personal responsibility? Whatever happen to a property owners right to decide what they are going to allow on their own property?

Personal choice and responsibility ends when you do something in public that harms someone else, and 2nd hand smoke is more deadly than doing it yourself. But saying that...I do think that in bars you should be able to allow smoking. But any place that allows children, I think it should be banned.

I also live in Ohio, and it was the best thing that happened in my opinion.

Thats flat out wrong and may fronts. First, second hand smoke is no danger as many studies have proven. Second, the smoking ban in ohio has cause many businesses to shut down, how thats a good thing is beyond me.
  • EverlastBoston
    Options
    Spoken like a true MEATHEAD... Why should you care... It's a proven fact it's unhealthy and extremely dangerous....You found a posting from the Heartlander...Really?....Come on man... I also read somewhere that doing cocaine and meth are good for you. So it must be ok!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I used to be a smoker up until very recently, and while I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of hate for all smokers, I don't particularly like the smell now I've given up. But, having been through that very difficult process of giving up, smokers do have my sympathy, as it's not easy.

What I did find about the ban in the UK was it has a habit of dividing people. If I go out with a group of friends, half of them go outside at regular intervals to smoke while the rest stay in. If me and my partner go out for a meal, he will pop out between courses and have a smoke, and I'm sat at the table on my own.

For that reason I'd prefer it if restaurants had the choice. If it bothered me that much, I'd go somewhere else.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    It is air pollution that kills...they and others in proximity. Should others not be protected from an environmental TOXIN that they do not desire. AFTER ALL THIS COUNTRY BANNED DDT FROM BEING SPRAYED IN THE STREETS TO KILL INSECTS WHEN IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT IT WAS TOXIC TO HUMANS!!!

YES, Selfish is not the right word (s) for them.

Dont even get me started on DDT. Do you kow how many millions of people have died because of the ban on DDT. Research it. But again, if you dont want to breathe smoke, dont go to places that allow smoking. Why do so many people think they are special?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't think smokers are selfish scum but I don't think they're 'persecuted' either.

I think part of the problem for non-smokers is that cigarette smoke really is disgusting. It smells bad and clings to your clothes so it makes you smell bad. I don't like spending time in a smoky atmosphere because I find it so unpleasant. I'm not sure smokers are actually aware of just how bad it/they can smell.

To me it's no different to asking me to sit next to a piss-soaked wino, except he won't bleat on and on about being opressed.

So who is forcing you to sit in smokey atmospheres? You can always leave right?

Sometimes it's not that simple to just get up and leave instead of having to inhale second hand smoke. At my previous job, I shared an office with a co-worker who smoked. It was really hard for me to breath when she would come in from her smoke break. I couldn't just get up and leave. Also I ride the Metro bus for transportation because I don't drive. I can't just get off the bus when someone with really strong second hand smoke odor gets on the bus. I have to sit there struggling to breath because I can't just get off the bus and not go anywhere in order to not be around someone who reeks of smoke.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Discuss :explode:

Selfish scum, my gran smokers and I can see her health declining and it kills me to watch but she won't give up. Smoking is an addiction and people will go to what lengths they have to to get a cigarette. Personally I'd make smoking illegal, I never have and never will smoke I think only stupid people smoke because why would you spend your life killing yourself? It's an idiotic thing to do and to get addicted to so why start in the first place? I have no time for ignorant idiots who smoke, I'm the one who makes a point of coughing when I go by, *****in about people crowding together out in the rain because they are so pathetic they can't wait to finish dinner to get a tab I mean your held hostage by a little white stick, it pathetic!

Smoking is banned in public here too and I think its the BEST thing ever why should I risk my health going out for dinner because you ignorant bunch of a*seholes want to make everyone suffer? I wouldn't go in a restaurant, walk over to your table and spray fly spray in your face would I? Oh and if you use the 'it calms me down' excuse, it doesn't I did psychological research and it makes you MORE stressed so don't use that one again cos you're full of crap.

So in short, smoking should be illegal or banned completely I mean 5 MILLION deaths a year?! You have to be an idiot to start smoking, and especially if you have children and smoke around them you should get your precious babies which you are POISONING taken off you.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Spoken like a true MEATHEAD... Why should you care... It's a proven fact it's unhealthy and extremely dangerous....You found a posting from the Heartlander...Really?....Come on man... I also read somewhere that doing cocaine and meth are good for you. So it must be ok!!

You keep posting the same thing. And why the name calling? Its not a proven fact. We already went over that. Do you really want me to fill 10 pages with studies that show that second hand smoke is not harmful?
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker - I don't smoke in my house, I smoke outside it. I don't smoke in my car either. Oh and I don't smoke around children, or around my non-smoking friends if I can help it! The one thing that does get me is pregnant women smoking - yes I know its their choice, but I see that as being selfish (my sister in law smoked constantly whilst pregnant, and unfortunatley lost 2 children - not saying its because of this, but it could of been a factor - and now the 2 children she does have both have bad asthma, again, don't know if it is caused by the smoking whilst pregnant - but it doesnt help)

When I smoke at work, it is on the roof, away from people who would likely walk past and cough and splutter because I'm "polluting their air" - what about all the car fumes you inhale - do you cough and splutter everytime one of them goes past you? If anyone does this to me now whilst I'm walking to work, and enjoying my pre-work ciggie, I make a point of blowing the smoke toward them and try and keep up with them - petty, I know - but if you can be like that then so can I!

When I go to the pub, I smoke outside, away from the door (if I can unless there's some inconsiderate non-smoker taking up my space!)

There are so many rude people on here - everyone has their own vices, and not everyone may agree with them, but not everyone goes on about it, and tries to change people!
  • EverlastBoston
    Options
    Listen man, I'm all about making money but you need to wake up. No one is feeding off your BS, we all know it's deadly...Just go make your money and keep convincing yourself. We all know you won't anyone else..
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    I don't think smokers are selfish scum but I don't think they're 'persecuted' either.

I think part of the problem for non-smokers is that cigarette smoke really is disgusting. It smells bad and clings to your clothes so it makes you smell bad. I don't like spending time in a smoky atmosphere because I find it so unpleasant. I'm not sure smokers are actually aware of just how bad it/they can smell.

To me it's no different to asking me to sit next to a piss-soaked wino, except he won't bleat on and on about being opressed.

Sometimes it's not that simple to just get up and leave instead of having to inhale second hand smoke. At my previous job, I shared an office with a co-worker who smoked. It was really hard for me to breath when she would come in from her smoke break. I couldn't just get up and leave. Also I ride the Metro bus for transportation because I don't drive. I can't just get off the bus when someone with really strong second hand smoke odor gets on the bus. I have to sit there struggling to breath because I can't just get off the bus and not go anywhere in order to not be around someone who reeks of smoke.

So should we ban BO? How bout perfume? I cant stand the smell of perfume, it makes me sneeze. So you think we should ban everything that makes people stink?
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People should not be allowed to smoke in any place where the smoke might be inhaled by myself or my children. They should not be allowed to smoke in any place where any children whatsoever might inhale the smoke. That includes pretty much anywhere, including inside their homes in the case of an apartment building or thickly settled neighborhood unless they live in a place that is isolated enough. I used to be a smoker, quit four years ago. I'm ashamed that I exposed other people to cigarette smoke but I was ignorant at the time.
    Well, I guess the same goes for all non-electrically powered vehicles, as their exhaust fumes are "polluting" the air even more than a few people enjoying a smoke!

I used to smoke, although I was always more or a social smoker and can still enjoy the odd cigarette now and again (maybe one or two a year). My husband is a died-in-the-wool smoker and I cannot see him quitting any time soon. It's his choice, it's a legal drug (just like alcohol) and the duty he pays when he buys his smokes more than covers his potential future health-care costs to the NHS.

Smoking is not permitted in enclosed public areas in the UK, but I see no point in a blanket ban in all public areas. What the ban on smoking has done is concentrate smokers into huddles, usually in front of offices and public buildings which gives the impression of huge plumes of smoke, but I can tell you it's a lot smellier and smokier to stand at a bus stop with all the exhaust fumes :sick:

And if smoking in front of children is considered child abuse, then what about drinking in front of children or swearing. We cannot wrap kids up in cotton wool and shelter them from the vagaries of real life.
  • EverlastBoston
    Options
    It is a proven fact...THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY!!!

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/TobaccoCancer/secondhand-smoke

READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have Smokers and Non-Smokers here all in agreement ...Second hand smoke is dangerous...
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd like to enjoy a meal without inhaling a cancerous toxin!!

Ok, so then eat somewhere that doesnt allow smoking. There were non smoking places long before smoking was banned. What gives you the right to tell me that your right to eat my food supercedes my right to make the rules for my estabishment? I would like to enjoy a meal without hearing kids whine and cry. I would like to enjoy a meal without the person next to me being covered in tattoos.

You ultimately become a lesser person because of your ignorance and stupidity in killing yourself and others and probably your family, maybe if you have children one of them will get asthma or a lung problem caused by your smoking that might wake you up. But you can't talk to smokers they are just so ignorant and have the 'I am right everyone is wrong' blinkers on. So, with that in mind that make non smokers the ones with higher intelligence since they can see the damage it does, and therefore we have a right to eat in peace with out you toxic people
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Bottom line is this. You cant have it both ways. You can not say that the government should ban this and that and then say they should stay out of your life. If you think the government should have the right to tell me that I cant smoke, then dont be upset when the same government tells you what you can and cant eat. Or who you can and cant marry. Dont tell me that you have a right to an abortion because its your body but I dont have a right to smoke. It makes zero sense. Wake up people. Eventually, something you enjoy is going to be banned and youre going to be pissed. And guess what? Nobody will care because we allow the government and the busy bodies to dictate what we can and cant do. If I want to allow smoking in my house, that my business, you dont like it, too bad, dont come over. If I want to allow smoking in my place of business thats my choice, you dont like it? Too bad, go somehwere else.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

So should we ban BO? How bout perfume? I cant stand the smell of perfume, it makes me sneeze. So you think we should ban everything that makes people stink?

BO and perfume don't cause cancer and COPD and if you need me to point out the obvious stupidity of your comparison then this argument should be a short one.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    There's always a group of smokers right in front of the entrance of my University.
    Has always annoyed me like crazy.
    We have a huge square in front of our University, and they all have to go stand in a huge group right in front of the entrance.
    You actually have to push your way through the group to get into the building and by then you are coughing and smelling of smoke.