I hate gyms and health clubs

Options

Replies

• KStyleFitness
    KStyleFitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with the gym. When I do make it there, I go harder than I do at home (I pay good money for it, why not). But I equally work out at home. I have every DVD and piece of equipment you can think of at home, but I still go to the gym. I'm in my own zone in the gym, rather taking a class or using equipment. I come to workout, not make friends. In and out.

Gyms are not needed to stay fit, so if it is adding stress to your life (which in turn causes weight gain), totally get it out of your mind and do what works for you, STRESS-FREE.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have everything I need to work out at home but I also go to the gym and workout with my husband which makes it fun and less intimidating and he pushes me harder than any trainer would! We both joined mostly because it was a deal we couldn't pass up ($99 each for the entire year, my running shoes were more than $99!, plus only 5 minutes from our house). Go with a girlfriend or significant other and it makes it so much better in my opinion.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Maybe you haven't found the right gym for you. I LOVE my gym. It's small and everyone is very friendly and the trainers are all very helpful. Try to find one that is not a chain... Good luck!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gyms...small rooms densely packed with people, none of them happy and all of them smelly. No thanks! There are plenty of ways to get exercise, many of them a lot of fun and free.

I think you are confusing not happy with concentration. I am very happy when I am at the gym because I know I am doing something great for my body. Just because everyone isn't all bubbly and smiling doesn't mean they don't enjoy being there. It just means they are working their butt off.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love having a gym at my office. We have a running track free weights, many treadmills, elliptical trainers, also a help staff, plus on the upper floor we have a room with DVD player, TV, Sound system wooden floor and now they even have a spinning room brand new bikes that will open in a month cannot wait. All for free!!!! We have a group that meets a 6am right now of about 6 guys who do DVD's we all pitch in to buy them. We have done P90X, Insanity and now doing TapOut-XT...totally loving it....
    That's awesome! We had a survey go out at my office a few years back to decide what to do with some empty office space; a gym, or a crappy room for local fast food joints to bring horrible food. Horrible food won.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I HATE the gym. You're not alone! And I think that's why I avoided working out for so long. I thought it was the gym or nothing. I don't care what people say, other people DO watch you! I feel like I can't sweat, grunt, breath heavy, etc. because I know people are mentally laughing! I push SO much harder when people aren't watching. I discovered Beach Body programs and fell in love! Big push, minimal equipment and I could do it all at home! I've done P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire and Brazil Butt Lift. And I've lost 30lbs and kept it off. Don't feel bad that you dislike the gym! My husband loves it, he hates working out at home. He likes people watching, it fuels him....not me! Everyone is different. Try some good home programs!

Alaythea....you must've been a Planet Fitness member.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like the gym. It gets me out of the house for a few hours, I meet new people and have a good time. If I were to work out solely at home I just wouldn't do it. I don't have any weights at home and the only thing I would do is videos which frankly get boring after a while. I can mix it up at the gym. Also with gas prices being the way they are when I go out to the gym I also get all my errands done after in one shot so I'm not doing unnecessary driving.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I HATE the gym. You're not alone! And I think that's why I avoided working out for so long. I thought it was the gym or nothing. I don't care what people say, other people DO watch you! I feel like I can't sweat, grunt, breath heavy, etc. because I know people are mentally laughing! I push SO much harder when people aren't watching. I discovered Beach Body programs and fell in love! Big push, minimal equipment and I could do it all at home! I've done P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire and Brazil Butt Lift. And I've lost 30lbs and kept it off. Don't feel bad that you dislike the gym! My husband loves it, he hates working out at home. He likes people watching, it fuels him....not me! Everyone is different. Try some good home programs!

Everyone stares at you at Planet Fitness and they don't allow you to breathe heavy or sweat? Ooooook...... Must have been a different Planet Fitness then I went to.

I think that people tend to imagine that other gym-goers are looking at them more than they really are. In truth, most people care more about their own workout than yours.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of other options out there like other people suggested. I would also say look and see what other gym options you have. They aren't one size fits all. I looked at two other gyms before I fell in love with mine. Its a little more $, but it is small and privately owned, so even during peak hours only 1/4 or so of the stuff is being used and might have one girl dressed for the meat market now and then, but that's it.
    Classes anywhere, gym or studio or where ever I think I can bea a great experience. I just tried TRX at the gym for the first time and all the regulars offered nothing but support and smiles. That helped me personally push so much harder. Look and see what other gyms you have available and test them out. You might find one that you love. Some places even have women only gyms. Or workout at home, or see what other classes are available. There are so many fun stuff you can try that are so fun. Like trampoline AIRobics and circus classes and wo knows what else, but just go to have fun. Screw everyone else. A good class will keep they too busy working their butt off to even think about some girl on the other side of the room
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Everyone stares at you at Planet Fitness and they don't allow you to breathe heavy or sweat? Ooooook...... Must have been a different Planet Fitness then I went to.

I think that people tend to imagine that other gym-goers are looking at them more than they really are. In truth, most people care more about their own workout than yours.

You are going to get SO many PF haters on this site it's kinda funny. Mostly it's because the free weights are limited (which does annoy my husband because he can't bench as much free weights), they have smith machines, and most of them don't have barbells (which this one I think depends on the owner because I know of PF's that have barbells). Because of all the cardio equipment there that turns off a lot of people along with the *gasp* machines which I personally rarely use. But that's why these other people go to other gyms where they can drop their weights and make faces in the mirror while ripping off their shirts like they're the Hulk. :laugh:

My husband and I go to PF because it's cheap and I get to go as his free guest. He also gets to use any PF in the country for free. The other gym he was going to was $40/month and if I went with him I had to pay the $12 day pass (now mind you my sister is the manager at this gym!). At that time I was going with him maybe 5-6 times a MONTH (I had a fitness center at my work that I used daily) the $12 day pass charge got to be too much. I mean honestly, who goes to the gym for an entire day?!

Anyway, I love our PF. The people who work there are nice and contrary to what you'll here there ARE super buff guys that work out there. I sweat like a pig, breathe heavy, lift heavy and I have never gotten told to go home or had the "Lunk Alarm" pulled on me. It is a rare occasion when they actually pull the alarm.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Am I alone in not liking gyms and health groups?

I have tried fitness clubs, Salsa, bootcamps, etc. They are all the same. I find gyms really intimidating: loads of complicated machinery; loud repetitive music; the feeling that people are watching you. Even though my figure is OK I feel like Mrs Blobby as soon as I walk through the door. I know it is completely irrational but I can feel the trainers sneering at me. I do not need to be shouted at like I was a squaddie. They should be there to help and encourage people not to show off to their mates.

When it comes to Salsa, Zumba or any of the dance type groups, I am so uncoordinated that my timing is all wrong. My arms up when everybody else’s are down; I turn left when everybody else turns right.

A friend recommended Bootcamp because the groups are smaller. The instructors were OK but the other girls were an unfriendly clique who clearly resented the male instructor even talking to me.

I hate exercising in front of other people. I am sure that there are loads of people like me out there. I prefer to exercise outdoors but the evenings are getting darker and I feel a bit vulnerable.

What do other gymphobics do?

I do this and I am totally addicted. I can't wait to get to the gym every day --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the atmosphere of a gym, work out at home.
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms as well- I just bike, hike, and kayak in the great outdoors and lift weights at home.

This.

I do some resistance bands and dumbbells for strength training indoors and have an elliptical machine for when the weather dictates indoor cardio. Other than that, if I can do it outdoors, I'm doing it.
  • fitmominheels
    Options
    I'm not a 'Gym Lover' but I do go from time to time. I prefer to workout at home with a great, reputable at home workout series of some sort. My preference is Beachbody programs like Turbojam, Turbofire, P90X, Insanity, Insanity the Asylum, etc because they have been creating at home workouts for the LONGEST and they are pretty solid in leading you in the exercises so you are always focusing on form and getting the best results. Plus they have everything from beginner type workouts to advanced. Do what's best for YOU and then you'll get results. Don't feel bad about not liking the gym. Im not intimidated at all by it but I still don't like to go.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Gyms are overrated and ridiculously over-priced.

And if you're uncomfortable in an environment, you're not going to be successful. Period.

I too hate gyms, and I'm a guy. They smell, they're loud, nothing feels comfortable or familiar, and quite frankly, I don't like being surrounded by people when I'm sweating, panting, and tired. Heck I don't even like my wife walking in on me when I'm exercising!

Just don't use it as an excuse to not exercise at all! Looks like you're in London, so you'll have to find resources for cheap/used exercise equipment (we have a rowing machine, a treadmill, and a strengh-training bench - all free!!!) and exercise in the comfort of your own home.

And NEVER let people tell you to "get over it" or to change who you are or do things you don't want to do.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people think of me or if they are looking. I don't care about the PT either. When I go to the gym my goal is to do my routine as efficiently as I can. Yeah, I notice people looking at me and I will admit it bothered me a tiny bit at the beginning but I got over it really fast.
    If you are confident you should not care what others thing. You are there to workout and not to make friends friends or socialized.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Gyms...small rooms densely packed with people, none of them happy and all of them smelly. No thanks! There are plenty of ways to get exercise, many of them a lot of fun and free.

Densely packed small rooms, WTH to do you go?
  • RGv2
    Options
    Gyms are overrated and ridiculously over-priced.

Yep, the 10 bucks a month is hard to scrape together.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Clearly you've never been to a gym in Manhattan =)
  • RGv2
    Options

Clearly you've never been to a gym in Manhattan =)

Thank god?