Is it just me......Always overbudget

No matter how hard I try, I am always over budget. Need this, that, and the other thing. I do not spend carelessly, but things just keep coming up............Who can save money in today's world........

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    there there
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Ooooh I feel you there. I'm a broke college student. I also have a hard time distinguishing wants vs. needs. I never have money and I make a lot considering I don't pay rent yet haha.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    I have a 22 y/o that is constantly asking for money so...
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Yea :/ times are hard.. it really does suck being under budget all the damn time. I'm there too..
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Yep, me too. I have 4 kids, so no matter how carefully I budget,something always seems to come up. But I know that we are still fortunate, because we have jobs, and a place to live, and cars to drive. So I try to remind myself of that
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Yea- it really sucks when you're actually working a job that you went to college for and you still can't afford crap. I don't know how people afford to have kids these days... I'm only paying for my own expenses and I'm STILL broke. Even being a consultant for a company on the side and it's still not putting me ahead.

Join the club.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Learn the trade of couponing you will be surprised at how much you can save. I shop at Publix, and cvs and I spend very little compared to what I spent before I started couponing. I can eat the good stuff not the cheap stuff since I started couponing. It has also allowed me to share with others. I love it
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    I am so there with ya - after my bills are paid this month I have $4 left in my account until the middle of the month.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I save money every single month as does my man friend. Currently have over 20k in savings between the two of us. And retirement all set away as well. It's not the easiest thing to do, but I'd rather save now and go crazy when I retire.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Not I... not I... I have the same issue where as soon as I feel I have everything I need... there's a new need. Life sucks. lol.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    I was just thinking about this! :( I still need groceries and have no bills to get it with
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    How did our parents ever make it with one income.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I can definitely relate. My hubby and I both work full time and have very reasonable monthly expenses but somehow we still have trouble saving. I just had to get an eye exam and buy new glasses & contacts... the only thing covered by insurance was the exam so I had to charge the $400+ glasses (that was AFTER my $100 coupon!) to my credit card. Was NOT happy about that. Especially considering my hubby's car is a bottomless money pit and may not pass its state inspection at the end of the month... possibly forcing us to buy another car. It's honestly like the expenses never end and the pay never quite covers it all!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member

Don't get me started!!! lol

I was raised primarily by my mom, who had a similar job when I was growing up to what I do now... she made $18k/year and supported both of us with an apartment, car payment, paid for my after-school bowling league, etc. I make $34k/year and can barely afford my $250/mo car payment. I actually cashed in a life insurance policy this year in order to put a big chunk of money towards my car loan so that I could get it paid off before December in case my hubby needs to buy a car.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member

Gas wasn't about 4 dollars a gallon, and everything else wasn't overly over priced for that extra profit to the company.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    I was like this until someone told me the pay yourself first rule. It's crazy but it works. Five years of doing it and now I'm buying a house.

What you do is figure out 10% of your monthly take home pay. Then you have to reframe your thinking and consider yourself the absolute most nasty *kitten* feed-you-to-the-pigs mob gangster possible. So the very first 10% of every paycheck MUST get paid to yourself - put it in savings and leave it there. Nothing is allowed to be considered more important, not your food, not your gas, not your rent... YOU WILL SWIM WITH THE FISHES UNLESS YOU PAY THAT 10% to thegang boss.

Do it, seriously. It's a rule to live by. Why work if you're not paying yourself anyway?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Though... gotta say... $150 on a pair of shoes? wtf man? I've never spent more than $60. Do you have champagne taste on a beer budget? :wink:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    I was like this until someone told me the pay yourself first rule. It's crazy but it works. Five years of doing it and now I'm buying a house.

What you do is figure out 10% of your monthly take home pay. Then you have to reframe your thinking and consider yourself the absolute most nasty *kitten* feed-you-to-the-pigs mob gangster possible. So the very first 10% of every paycheck MUST get paid to yourself - put it in savings and leave it there. Nothing is allowed to be considered more important, not your food, not your gas, not your rent... YOU WILL SWIM WITH THE FISHES UNLESS YOU PAY THAT 10% to thegang boss.

Do it, seriously. It's a rule to live by. Why work if you're not paying yourself anyway?

This is definitely the way to go. I have a portion of my paycheck direct deposited to another account, so I never see it. You get used to not having it. The other rule - want less. I don't watch much tv and I don't read fashion magazines. They are constantly bombarding you with things you supposedly "need." Create a really busy schedule for yourself, too, and that way you aren't always looking to go out to eat (pricey) or shopping. Between my job and my workouts, I have enough to do without shopping.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    if i was on a budget, I certainly would try to find shoes for less than $150..... And try thrift shops too...