There and Back Again: Be a Hobbit Challenge!

Options
So, as backstory, as my grandpa was dying I would go every night and read the Hobbit to him. I remember the Bag End to Rivendell mileage chart at
http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Hobbit_BE_to_Rivendell/hobbit_be_to_rivendell.html
and started to keep track. I'm only six miles in so far, so almost to the Great East Road. He died last night and I decided that I'm going to finish this and make it to Rivendell. I promised him. It's silly, but I'm going to do it. I don't know how long it will take, but if anyone wants to join in, it may be a good motivator to get through the holidays.

I know there's another group doing this with the goal of finishing by Dec 14th, but that's for them. I'm just starting and wanted to see if others were interested, so please don't jump on me about not searching before posting.

Thanks.

Replies

• PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am interested in doing this :) When would it start? Only walking miles count or other mileage (I go 6 miles a day on the Chicken Walker)?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! What's the total distance? I run 3x a week and walk my dog daily
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love this! Thanks for posting this, it will make my walks far more interesting :)
  • B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. I hope someone will read to me when it is my time. :smile:

I did this, many ages and pounds ago. I think its time for me to do it again. It's a dangerous business, walking out your front door.....

Barb
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Love this! bless you for being there for your grandfather! the Hobbit was the first chapter book I read to my son when he was in preschool - it was our evening together time.
    Will be bookmarking the link and following the Road.

Thanks
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic idea. I'm in :)
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! What's the total distance? I run 3x a week and walk my dog daily

397 miles i believe
  • moreORless50
    Options
    so sorry for your loss

count me in
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's 397 total miles from Bag End to Rivendell. You can just count down from that, or for more detail go to

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Hobbit_BE_to_Rivendell/hobbit_be_to_rivendell.html

for the mileage.

Start whenever you like- I'm going from October 1st, so if you know your miles for the past few days add them in and see where you are. If not, start today, then keep going. Be Tookish. :)

I walked today, so am now at 6.5 miles, so a half mile down the Great East Road. In another mile and a half I'll be at Three Farthing Stone, which I'll hit and go beyond since I'll have a three mile run tomorrow.

Also, count whatever miles you like. The whole walking thing is nice, but the party was riding ponies for most of it so it's not fair to hold everyone to walking! Distance by any means, friends!
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am in!!!
  • moreORless50
    Options
    me and my daughter (emmawilllose) have walked 7.5 miles so far and have just turned eat on the Great East Road :happy:
  • hypotrochoid
    Options
    I'm now at 17 miles. Six more miles to Frogmorton!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I walk roughly 10 miles each day! Love this idea, what a lovely way to remember your grandad. my dad was a carpenter, when he died I made everyone a wooden letter rack! I found it very therapeutic!
    My 3 boys called their new baby sister Smeagle. She's 11 now and walks with me! lol! Precious!
    x
  • moreORless50
    Options
    emmawilllose and myself have walked a further 6.5 miles In the rain i might add :happy: and now we are 14 miles in to our journey we have past the camp and we are now continuing east along the road
  • hypotrochoid
    Options
    20 miles in, 377 more to go...
  • moreORless50
    Options
    another 2 miles for me and emmawilllose thats 16 miles still walking east along the road :happy:
  • mehs04
    mehs04 Posts: 184
    Options
    I belong to the "To Mordor" group here on MPF. Earlier this summer I finished the leg of the journey from Bag End to Rivendell, and I'm now on the Rivendell to Lothlorien part.

Here's a link to the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3440-to-mordor-
  • annetye_ds
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! I am in; it will make walking that much more enjoyable.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I don't really want to be a part of the challenge as I have so much that I'm already trying to do (I do love JRR Tolkien books)...but...

I just wanted to give my condolences on your grandfather and to say that I was sorry to hear of your loss. You reading to him is a wonderful thing and I commend you for wanting to carry it on.

Good luck to all of you doing the challenge.
  • moreORless50
    Options
    me an emmawilllose are now 18 miles into our journey still walking east and its still raining but we dont care :bigsmile: