There and Back Again: Be a Hobbit Challenge!

Options

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

279 miles-Continue east. Road is rough. Camp.
  • cappri
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

284 miles-Continue east. Behind, Weather Hills have almost disappeared. Ahead, dark wooded hills appear higher. Camp.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,445 Member
    Options
    Heading back...

8.85 miles today...

295.23 miles to go...Road still curving northwest. Open country. No streams. Will camp in another few miles.
  • cappri
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

285 miles-Continue east. Behind, Weather Hills have almost disappeared. Ahead, dark wooded hills appear higher. Camp.
  • ladyonthemoon
    Options
    So, as backstory, as my grandpa was dying I would go every night and read the Hobbit to him. I remember the Bag End to Rivendell mileage chart at
    http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Hobbit_BE_to_Rivendell/hobbit_be_to_rivendell.html
    and started to keep track. I'm only six miles in so far, so almost to the Great East Road. He died last night and I decided that I'm going to finish this and make it to Rivendell. I promised him. It's silly, but I'm going to do it. I don't know how long it will take, but if anyone wants to join in, it may be a good motivator to get through the holidays.

I know there's another group doing this with the goal of finishing by Dec 14th, but that's for them. I'm just starting and wanted to see if others were interested, so please don't jump on me about not searching before posting.

Thanks.

So sorry for your loss.
    Starting April here.

Oh and can I just say... the image used on your weight tracker... best ever!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My grandpa's last words to me were "I love you". It's been 10 years but I still tear up thinking about it.

I'm finally jumping back on the train that is going very quickly past me. I have been slacking hardcore for almost a year now. Hopefully it's not too late for me to join up on this? L-O-V-E LotR and am even a LotRO addict :happy:

Seeing this has actually given me the motivation to start today! I shall depart from my apartment and go on an ADVENTURE!

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Edit: Just added this as a goal in RunKeeper so I can easily track it!! :)
  • cappri
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

292 miles-Open country. No streams. Camp.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Heading back...

5.28 miles today...

290.0 miles to go ... Open country. No streams. Continue west. Ahead, Weather Hills appears. Passed a group of travelers about two miles back. Their leader was named cappri. They were a friendly bunch!
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a go at this too. Seems fun and motivating.

Journey starts March 4th.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    Journey started March 4.

March 4: Traveled 3.75 miles by foot. Can see Bywater and the warmth (and ale) of The Green Dragon in the distance.
  • tidhzi
    tidhzi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.....it's wonderful that you're doing this :)

I would love to go on this adventure!!!!! Journey starting 06/03/2013! 2 days time!
  • Jennessaphilip
    Options
    Just completed my first day :) all 11 miles. Took me 4 hours, but I sure did it. The next 12 is going to be hard though.
  • cappri
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

295 miles-Open country. No streams. Camp.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Heading back...

7.23 miles today...

282.77 miles to go...Continue west. Weather Hills ahead. Behind, dark wooded hills appear higher. Camp.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    Supposed to be getting some nasty weather over the next couple days, so I'm going to have to set up a nice dry, warm camp and hope it protects me from the elements.
  • cappri
    Options
    Journey Began 12/15/12

300 miles-Road curves more to southeast. South of the road are bushes and stunted trees: wild and pathless. Camp north of the road.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Heading back...

7.13 miles today...

275.64 to go...Continue west. Road is rough. We'll set up camp in a couple more miles.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    185. Land now slopes slowly uphill toward Weathertop.

Welcome to those who have joined the adventure! It will be hard, and there may be set backs, but be sure to persevere!
  • bregalad5
    Options
    Journey started March 4.

March 6: Traveled 1.4 miles by foot in the snow, slush, and overall ick-tastic conditions, totaling 5.15 miles. Arrived at The Green Dragon, drank some ale, warmed up, and relaxed for a bit :tongue:
  • cpanus
    Options
    Heading back...

7.15 miles today...

268 miles to go...Continue west. Road is rough. Ahead, the Weather Hills are barely visible. Behind, company sees the tops of the Trollshaws.