There and Back Again: Be a Hobbit Challenge!

Options

Replies

• cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,436 Member
    Options
    To Lonely Mountain by way of Rivendell.

19.62 miles today

108.39 miles...Reached the east edge of the Chetwood. Scattered farms to the south. Midgewater Marshes up ahead.
  • cpanus
    Options

142.81 miles -- Road curves more to the east. Marshes fill all the northern horizon.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Pass a valley from the north.

371 miles done
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am interested in doing this :) When would it start? Only walking miles count or other mileage (I go 6 miles a day on the Chicken Walker)?

lmao what is a "Chicken Walker"?
  • cpanus
    Options

158.91 miles -- Continuing east at a comfortable pace. Road continues around southern edge of the Marshes. Will camp in a bit, south of the road, away form the Marshes.
  • cpanus
    Options
    To Lonely Mountain by way of Riverdell.

172.71 miles -- Camped at the southeast tip of Midgewater Marshes a few miles back. Packed up and continued. Road turns more to the northeast. Slowly begins to climb uphill. Weathertop should come into view shortly.
  • cpanus
    Options

183.69 miles - Open, rough land on both sides of the road. Weather pleasant. Continue northeast on the Road at a comfortable pace.
  • cpanus
    Options

190.11 miles - Weathertop rises more clearly ahead. Camp.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am interested in doing this :) When would it start? Only walking miles count or other mileage (I go 6 miles a day on the Chicken Walker)?

What in the world is a chicken walker? Someone you hire to walk your chicken??
  • Carpaydeeum
    Carpaydeeum Posts: 116
    Options
    What a cool thread!
  • cpanus
    Options

195.11 miles -- Road continues northeast, rising slowly. Weathertop looms ahead and fills all the view.
  • cpanus
    Options

207.87 miles -- Road reached southeastern foot of Weathertop. The last foothill below Weathertop is just ahead. Will camp in a couple of miles.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 to 6 miles a day in steps at my job. This might be fun. I'll fiddle around with it when I get home.
  • januarygal175
    Options
    Starting today: 4.5 miles
    Reached The Green Dragon in Bywater. The dwarves have a pony ready and they leave almost immediately. Gandalf soon joins them. Turn SE on Bywater Road. High banks with hedges rise on each side.
    :drinker:
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I saw this topic last night and left it open so I would remember to comment on this awesome idea. To the OP, I just wanted to say that it was very sad to read about your grandfather. It is wonderful that you planned (and continue doing) this wonderful tribute.

Best of luck to you all in this adventure! May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.
  • januarygal175
    Options
    Starting today: 4.5 miles
    Reached The Green Dragon in Bywater. The dwarves have a pony ready and they leave almost immediately. Gandalf soon joins them. Turn SE on Bywater Road. High banks with hedges rise on each side.
    May 18: 7 miles
    pass the the Three Farthing stone, camp, then continue at leisurely pace down the road:smile:
    total traveled 11.5 miles
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    380 miles done so far just 17 little miles to go,:smile: me and emmawillose Continue east-northeast along the road
  • januarygal175
    Options
    Starting May 17: 4.5 miles
    May 18: 7 miles
    pass the the Three Farthing stone, camp, then continue at leisurely pace down the road:smile:
    May 19: 11.5 miles
    Frogmorton. Stay at The Floating Log.
    total traveled 23 miles
  • cpanus
    Options

215.50 miles -- continued northeast on road, dropped slowly into the 'Lone-lands'. Road worsened. South of the road are more rugged areas, covered with thickets.
  • cpanus
    Options

221.66 miles -- South of the road are more rugged areas, covered with thickets. Weather still warm and clear.