You WILL FAIL with MFP, like every other diet...

Options

Replies

• julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Love this post, thank you
    When my friends & family start talking smack about the "diet I am on", I generously point them to MFP so they can see for themselves what I'm doing. So far every single person i have shared this with has gone on to be a user of this site.
  • desilu69
    Options
    Very well said and I will admit, something I needed to read at this point. Thank you
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This is the best I've read here in a long time! Thank you and you are right on!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Klaks
    Klaks Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's one of the most amazing MFP posts I have ever seen!
    Seriosly I am so motivated right now! :D
    Thank you, awesome stranger :)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    tumblr_l8ws6c0FuU1qb6ivx.gif
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    LIES!!!!!!!!

You're wrong! Just making an account here automatically means the weight will fall off. Just like watching a Jillian Michaels dvd, or hanging your clothes on an elliptical. No work necessary!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    BRAVO MY FELLOW MFP!!
    in the words of commander Jason Nesmith: never give up, never surrender!
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I agree! Thanks for posting!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I knew there was a reason you're my friend! Well said!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Until you realize that MFP is not a diet. MFP is a tool to take charge of your life. MFP is not a magical answer to fix your weight problem. MFP is simply a way to measure what you put in your mouth and the movement you do to negate that. It's a pretty simple formula, eat less than you burn. If you don't want to exercise, you can lose weight, but it means you have to limit what you eat. If you want to eat more, you need to exercise. It's as simple as that.

However; MFP does offer more than just a way to keep track of what you put into your body and how you burn off calories. The forums and groups are full of a wealth of good AND BAD information. Reader beware. There are people here who will help you and encourage you. They will be happy when you keep logging day after day and love to cheer you on. There are also those that will bash you for eating too little, too much fat, too much protein, too much meat....too much whatever. Most are genuinely passionate about whatever you are doing or not doing. Others are just plain mean. So is the way of social media.

So you want to lose weight? So do most of us. Having a struggle? So are most of us. Can't find motivation? So are most of us. So how do you do it? One meal at a time. One pound at a time. If you are serious about taking charge of your your weight, your life, your world, you can't expect someone to do it for you. I love when people cheer me on, but they can't cheer me on until I DO SOMETHING! No one can do it for you. If you feel like you are a failure, then stop giving up. I know it's hard. IT'S DAMN HARD WORK! If you aren't willing to work for it, you aren't ready.

If you are ready, then WELCOME! MFP is a FABULOUS TOOL to make a goal and attain it. Make that goal and set another one. Will it be easy? No, but most of us here will help cheer you on. And there are many here that you can find inspiration from and come to the realization that one day, you might be someone else's inspiration. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong.

Want to be successful with MFP? You just have to make the commitment that no matter what, no matter how many times you screw up, no matter how many times you feel like you can't, you have to tell yourself I will not quit. Tell yourself, "If I fall down, I will get back up." Stick to your plan. Encourage others. Be honest to yourself. (Your body doesn't know what you log and don't log..don't cheat yourself by not logging!) Good luck to you and your new commitment...a year from now you will be amazed at what you have accomplished...if you just don't quit.

I totally AGREE. And it can be done. Don't give up! I did it and it truly is all about measuring what you eat and finding the right calorie budget for YOU to lose, and to maintain. Beware if you are short like me. The eat more mantra does not usually work because our RMR is too close to the 1200 calorie limit imposed on us here. It works for bigger people who have more room in their calorie to play with and still have a calorie deficit to lose weight. I'm short and this seems to be helping other short petite people like myself --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

My favorite saying lately
    “Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you, and be silent.” -Brad Pilon

People bash me and other petite women all the time. Even now at maintenance since my RMR is low and I have so many people stalking my food diary I got this:

"are you trying to loose weight? i thought you were into healthy eating and body building?"

My reply:

"No unfortunately since I am so tiny I don't get to eat as much as bigger girls. DXA shows my RMR at 1380. I eat 100-200 more calories than I log every because they are little things that add up and I don't feel like logging them, but I like the buffer too because we all underestimate. Also, calorie budgets can be weekly not daily and I'm going to a wedding this weekend. I took pictures yesterday, you can see I'm quite healthy http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now"

I find this quite helpful and sensible when navigating all the good and bad advice around here. It is really pretty simple, you can notch your calories up or down by 100, give it some time until you find what worked. Going down worked for me which makes sense because just think about the statement for a minute "eat more to lose weight???":
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • jehuster
    Options
    I lke this post :smile: Honest and to the point. :drinker: You are awesome and congrats on your success :drinker:
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the morning inspiration!!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Harsh title, but true....
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom!