to whoever thought up burpees....

Options

Replies

• andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    They should be whipped whilst doing 1000 burpees themselves!!
  • klmason1
    Options
    I hate you

I second that!!!!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Everyone's definition is a little bit different, but it's essentially a squat thrust++. For me burpees have you either hitting the deck instead of planking (easy) or doing a pushup after getting into a plank (harder). I know one guy who does the burpee with a pushup and then jumps to a bar and does a pullup as a one count. I think that's about as much fun as eating your own regurgitated glass.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Ditto mountain climbers! Hate 'em, and if you tried to climb a mountain with that particular motion, we'd be scooping you up with a shovel!

I think I'm glad I don't know what a mountain climber is!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    For those that need a more challenging burpee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKpkFcAGCX8
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Everyone's definition is a little bit different, but it's essentially a squat thrust++. For me burpees have you either hitting the deck instead of planking (easy) or doing a pushup after getting into a plank (harder). I know one guy who does the burpee with a pushup and then jumps to a bar and does a pullup as a one count. I think that's about as much fun as eating your own regurgitated glass.

I've stolen one called Hanging Horror

Burpee with pushup to pull-up with toes to bar leg raise.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I hate you
    That's a shame, because I'm sure Lieutenant William Burpee, credited with its invention in 1907, speaks very highly of you.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pretty much death in a jump

YES, exactly!! ;-)
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate you
    That's a shame, because I'm sure Lieutenant William Burpee, credited with its invention in 1907, speaks very highly of you.

Wow, so the unfortunate name is actually the name of a person! Sorry for him...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Ditto mountain climbers! Hate 'em, and if you tried to climb a mountain with that particular motion, we'd be scooping you up with a shovel!

I think I'm glad I don't know what a mountain climber is!

There's more than one exercise called mountain climber

Here's the most common http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4

Another is standing and miming like you're on a versaclimber. I think that's from Insanity.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I hate them but they are so effective.:mad:
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    And for those who don't like the name Burpee, the exercise is also known as a Squat Thrust, which I prefer to use. Burpee sounds too childish. The term Burpee comes from the inventor of the exercise, American physiologist Royal H. Burpee, who developed the "Burpee test".
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I hate them but they are so effective.:mad:
    Yeah at building cardio endurance.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    yep they are squat thrusts from high school PE
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    And for those who don't like the name Burpee, the exercise is also known as a Squat Thrust, which I prefer to use. Burpee sounds too childish.

A squat thrust doesn't involve standing up, or jumping.

Also, mountain climbers are known as alternate squat thrusts where I come from, for obvious reasons, you alternate your legs.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    the only thing I've ever seen worse than burpees is when my oldest was playing football - their coach had them start at one end of the field on the goal line - run as fast as possible to the 10 yard line - drop and do 5 burpees - then sprint to the 20 yard line and drop and do 10 burpees - continuing all the way to the other end of the field adding 5 burpees every time they stopped - just about every player was tossing their lunch by the end
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    the only thing I've ever seen worse than burpees is when my oldest was playing football - their coach had them start at one end of the field on the goal line - run as fast as possible to the 10 yard line - drop and do 5 burpees - then sprint to the 20 yard line and drop and do 10 burpees - continuing all the way to the other end of the field adding 5 burpees every time they stopped - just about every player was tossing their lunch by the end

In rugby we have M&Ms, which is essentially a shuttle runs with burpees at every turn.
  • Flame073
    Options
    Omg I hate burpees so so much !!!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For those that need a more challenging burpee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKpkFcAGCX8

ooft - damn that's a challenge and then some!!

but that guy is hottt :tongue: