Did Matthew McConaughey go too far for new role?

Options

Replies

• CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    50 Cent did that for a movie and so did Donnie Walberg (sp) for the Sixth Sense. It's just a part of their job. I'm sure they will be fine once their paycheck comes in.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to answer the question. How do you define what is "too far" for another person? I think that is up to the individual, and clearly he felt it was worth it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Judging by that photo you posted, I'd say that his depiction of an AIDS patient seems accurate. I have a friend with AIDS and he has always appeared very skinny despite eating like a horse.
    I lost a friend to the disease back in 2005, and he looked very much like this in the end...
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that all Bale ate for weeks was a can of tuna and a granny smith apple a day to drop the weight, what a shame it never became a fad diet, it worked well.

Amen!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think? He's playing an AIDS patient in his next movie and reportedly has lost 30 lbs for the role....

tdy_chat_mccon_121009.video-260x195.jpg

Um... he's an actor. They get paid to inhabit and represent their roles, which sometimes means doing things like dropping (or gaining, in the case of Robert De Niro in 'Raging Bull') significant amounts of weight for their roles.

Much ado about nothing here.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Tom Hanks did it and won an Academy Award for it.

Yeah, but he's a good actor...

LMFAO
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Judging by that photo you posted, I'd say that his depiction of an AIDS patient seems accurate. I have a friend with AIDS and he has always appeared very skinny despite eating like a horse.
    I lost a friend to the disease back in 2005, and he looked very much like this in the end...

Very sorry to hear that... my friend is still around after 30 years with AIDS. Blood transfusion when he was born in the early 80's... the sad part is that he has a twin brother who is 100% healthy and not nearly as nice.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Very sorry to hear that... my friend is still around after 30 years with AIDS. Blood transfusion when he was born in the early 80's... the sad part is that he has a twin brother who is 100% healthy and not nearly as nice.
    Thanks..it was a horrible thing to see! I'm glad to hear your friend is hanging in there so far. So awful he got it from a transfusion! My friend was gay, but most likely contracted it back in the 80's when it was 'new" (before people knew as much about HIV/AIDS and how to protect themselves).:frown:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    the sad part is that he has a twin brother who is 100% healthy and not nearly as nice.

I'm failing to see how someone not having AIDS is "sad"
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think? He's playing an AIDS patient in his next movie and reportedly has lost 30 lbs for the role....

tdy_chat_mccon_121009.video-260x195.jpg

I only take issue with the mustache.
  • valleydad
    valleydad Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thought he looks like Steve Jobs' last living photo -- thin and sick.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

I've never heard of this movie... but it kinda looks awesome.

It's a really, really good movie.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Not the Matthew I like to see-- I like him with some meat on his bones and I have to wonder how healthy this is:sick:
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    they all look gross.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    How about what De Niro did for

Untouchables

stenger.jpg

then Cape Fear

robert-de-niro-capefear-workout.jpg
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Donnie Wahlberg did it twice.......first for The Sixth Sense and later for Dreamcatcher.

After shooting, he went right back to his hot, hunky, healthy sexy self. :wink:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Robert Deniro in Raging Bull gained like 75lbs. for the role.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There are others that go the other direction put on a lot of muscle. Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson got crazy big for the new Pain and Gain movie coming out. I guess we just expect that from the action stars though.

Pain-And-Gain-Photo-Tournage-Dwayne-Johnson-09-187x250.jpg
    mark-wahlberg-pain-and-gain-image1.jpg

Im sure they have lots of doctors around them also. :tongue:

Thank you for making my day :love:

Mine too:flowerforyou:

I prefer Donnie over Mark (note the screen name), but little brother will certainly do in a pinch. :tongue:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

But I loved that movie!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

THIS. OMFreakingG he looked well beyond horrible. As I watched the movie all I could think was of the damage he did to himself. SMH.