First Round P90X-ers

Options

Replies

• marksnet
    marksnet Posts: 11
    Options
    Started P90X first round on 2-22-10 and so far only 3 lbs lost but my clothes are fitting looser. If you would send me some encouragement! I am on the last day of week 3 today. MOnday starts the recovery period and then into phase 2 on week 5.

Heres the deal:
    Im a 41 year old male that did no exercise before this and ate pretty heavily.
    Im 6'1" started at 226
    now at 223

My perfect weight by the doctors chart for medium frame is 185 so .............you would think I would be shredding weight.

the infomercial and other accounts show 15-17lbs of weight loss the first month.... Dont think Ima lose 12 lbs in 8 more days!! lol

Any advice, encouragement, info, knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Mark O
    BeachBody.com username is also: Marksnet add me as a bud!!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces!! There's so many I can't do personals right at the moment!

I am starting week number 8 by the calendar, but technically week # 7 by the dvds from missing a workout here and there. It's funny because I feel like as time passes, I am working out with them harder and seeing better results. Or perhaps as I am losing more weight the results are easier to see. Whichever way, I will take it!

Mark, how many calories are you eating in a day? Are you following the nutrition plan? Are you monitoring your calories burned in any way?

Trying to get myself psyched up for my workout here in a few. I've been really, really sick for the last couple of days (stomach-yuck) and have been hardly even able to move. Much better today, but I'm going to have to dig deep to bring it! Plus it's core synergistics, which I am not a big fan of.
  • jennyco
    jennyco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't been totally 'bringing it' this week. Although I've missed a couple of dvds, I have managed to get out for a run, twice on my own (blissful alone time) and once with my husband (he's got a mean streak it seems - but he did push me harder than I would have myself and I felt good after).

I really didn't feel like working out tonight, but I did. I did cardio X and I'm so glad. I feel so much better.

hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm not sure how I'll do tomorrow with daylight savings time - it usually screws up the kids sleep for a few days.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope everyone remembered to SPRING FORWARD this morning so you're not beginning the day already an hour behind schedule. By springing forwarded it's a sign that spring is near and I couldn't be more excited. Also having an extra hour in the evening means I can walk around the park or go to the gym for a little cardio after work. Now we just need the weather to cooperate and everything will be great.

Since today is considered a rest day w/the Insanity program and tomorrow I'm suppose to complete fit test #2 I've decided that I was only going to complete the P90X stretching dvd. I want to be as limber and rejuvenated as possible for tomorrow's test. The Insanity dvd has been causing some pain in my knee so I'll see how this week goes before deciding whether I'll continue w/the program. Even If I don't complete the full 60 days I can definitely see myself throwing in one of the dvds here and there it just may be too much for my knee to do everyday. As I stated, I'll re-evaluate it at the end of this week.

I'm feeling pretty productive today. I've just about completed all my Sunday errands and will be spending the remainder of the day watcing movies....YIPPEE...YIPPEE.

I'll check in later. Have a great day!
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I know I've been MIA from the boards for the past few days, but here I am! I just finished up my recovery week this past Saturday, so I'm on the road to doing Classic now (I was doing Lean). Today is Plyometrics (I really like it!), and I'm really excited about the calorie burn I'm going to get. Haha, is that weird?

On another note, I'm getting anxious for a trip that I'm taking. We're (there's 28 of us) leaving for an 8-day cruise this Friday morning and our flight doesn't land until 10 p.m. on the 28th. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???? I'm just getting into my serious workout weeks for the Classic program this week, and now I have to take a week off pretty much. I'm still planning on running three of the days to keep up with my half-marathon training, but I'm worried about my strength. Do you guys have any suggestions for keeping on track and not getting suckered into the peer pressure? :grumble:
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Bump!

I'm looking to order P90X on my next paycheck and you guys seem to be a great group!!!
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 day 2 of the program. I am still up about 5 pounds. I initially gained about 8-10 pounds from water weight and muscle, but it doesn't seem to be going away. Is it possible that I gained 5 pounds of muscle? Also, when did everyone start to notice results? I'm hoping that's coming soon! :)

Thanks! Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • jennyco
    Options
    Sara - about the trip - don't worry too much. I went to the domincan with my family a few weeks ago and didn't get a chance to work out at all (we took our 3 year old and our 9 month old). I did do lots of walking and tried to watch my portion sizes and didn't drink too much and managed to only gain 2 lbs. It wasn't hard to get those 2 lbs off when I got back either. My philosophy is that if I don't take a break and have some fun sometimes I'll eventually quit, but if I do live life still and have some fun, I'll probably keep up the program.

frankyosage - welcome. My uncle just bought the program off of ebay for half the price. just thought I'd pass that on. He said it was legit too!

Karamae - I'm terrible at giving this kind of advice and I'm not doing the diet part other than what I trak on here. Hopefully someone will have some insight for you.

chocolickkyss - do you wear orthotics when you work out? I wear them and can't believe the difference in my knees - they don't hurt anymore. I can even go running without knee pain.

How is everyone else doing? I did kenpo tonight and I really felt it - it was great. I must be doing something different with this workout b/c I really got a sweat going and my heart rate up!
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Well, my attempt at not drinking last weekend went OK. i drank all weekend, but i feel like i made some progress, i just had 2 glasses of wine on Fri., then we had a BBQ on Sat and pigged out on alcohol and food (oh well), then on Sun i had just 2 glasses of wine again. So i'm chalking it up to 2 glasses is better than the norm of 6 beers. This weekend i'm going to try harder. we don't have anyone coming over and the only temptation would be if my K-State Wildcats to exceptionally well in the NCAA (Then i'm going to have to toast to them!)

As far as working out, i'm like a few others, i basically took the last 5 days off. But i told myself that as of today i'm going to start over Phase 2. and i got up, did Core, and feel great.

Oh, BTW, after eating like crap last weekend (and drinking a little) i only gained 1lb!!! (instead of the usuall 3) And i've already worked that off. So it just gives me more encouragement to not drink as much on the weekends. Plus it was wonderful to wake up feeling refreshed and not groggy from the alcohol.

Anyways! good luck everyone and keep it up.
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Jenny-Thank you so much for the tip about the orthotics! My right knee kills after I do any lunges and i'm gong right out to buy some!:flowerforyou:
  • lizmichele
    lizmichele Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for my P90X to come in the mail, should be by Friday!

Frankyosage-WELCOME! We can run through this thing together. Soon we will be 90 days away from a healthier self.

Laurabelle-You rock! 12lbs. lost so far! Keep up the work. I splurge with wine here and there too. It is a little treat we can afford after a week of crazy workouts. I just try to stay to 2 drinks as well.

Enjoy this St. Patrick's Day! Even if it is with laps and lunges instead of Guiness and Irish Stew!
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Hmmm, I may have to look into orthotics too. Where would you get them? (aside from the doc, lol).

One workout away from the end of week 7! It's amazing how fast the time has gone! I am really starting to see major changes. I have dropped two full sizes, and the muscle definition is really coming out in my arms and legs! I am so happy to be seeing these muscles again! And I switched to the pullup bar from bands two weeks ago, and today doing L&b I saw a big difference there too. I still needed to use the chair, however I only had my feet on it, all of the work was being done by my arms, I wasn't "cheating" with my legs at all! I am still only at about 8-10 reps even still, but man what a change!!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    So I'm ordering this weekend! (Woo paychecks!)

But I do have a question. I have been working out 3-4 times a week since January and have worked up from a winded 25 mins to an exhilarting hour of interval cardio. When I asked one of my coworkers (a LT in the military, I'm a civilian) about how he liked his P90X program he told me he loved it but you pretty much have to be in great shape to begin with and shouldn't order it off the bat of trying to lose weight. I did wait to buy it!! I waited until I felt fit enough that I felt I wouldn't injure myself. I've plateaud pretty impressively and I'm quite heavy still but I feel muscles now and my endurance is 300% improved!! But what are your feelings?

How "in shape" were ya'll before starting P90X?
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Franky-I wasn't in shape AT ALL. I mean i'm a farely active person, and am not really overweight, but I hadn't exercised in months before I started P90X. I just jumped right in. And I love it. it can be geared for someone extremely fit, or someone that's not so fit. But the LT is right, it not really about losing weight (even though i've lost some and am hoping to lose more), but it's more about building muscle. Which in turn helps you burn more fat. And that's what I really needed, is to be toned up. so i think you're fine. Esspecially since you've been exercising like have.

Good luck! And stick with it. And there is TONS of support on here if you need any help!
  • kncounc
    kncounc Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi everyone! I ordered p90x a couple of months ago and just started the Lean yesterday. I did the chest and back and ab ripper workouts on wednesday and realized that I would prefer the Lean regimine instead. So, I guess today is officialy Day 2 of that. I understand that when you start you won't be able to everything perfectly, but man I was whipped. I "tried" to do everything in Core Synergistics but found that I had to modify (i.e., knees down certain push-up exercises) or I could be barely do one rep! LOL! I am not deterred, but hopeful that things will get better over time. No matter what, I am in this for the long-haul!
  • markgolfer55
    Options
    Wow. I have used myfitnesspal for years but I have never looked at the message boards. This place is great. I love P90x. I started P90x March 12, 2007. I was overweight for most of my life. I could not do a single pull up when I started the program. I remember the first time I was able to do one during the middle of second round of P90x. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was. P90x is designed for people who are in good but the program also shows you modifications so anyone can do it. The most successful round I had was when I logging my food each. Seeing the exact breakdowns of what I was eating helped me make better decisions. Good luck to everyone using P90x.

Mark Watkins
    (HisServant on Beachbody Message Boards)
  • jennyco
    Options
    I wasn't in shape at all either! I just worked away at what I could. I still do knee down push ups and they dreya roll still eludes me (although I do a kind of half dreya roll). I'm doing my second round of the Lean and am amazed at how much more I can do.

Regarding the orthotics, I got mine through a foot doctor. I'm not sure if you can get them any other way. I do swear by them though.

I did pull a muscle yesterday though. I was doing a quad stretch and my three year old grabbed my hand to "help me" and I lost my balance and pulled a muscle by my hip and into my lower back. Ouch! It was good that tonight was shoulders and arms. Hopefully tomorrow it will feel better enough to go for a run or do kenpo.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • lizmichele
    lizmichele Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My P90X came in the mail yesterday! Today my husband and I are trying to get organized and ready for the next 90 days. Any advice on getting started?
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    you'll need double the towels you normally would for the gym ;)
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Do the fit test and definitely do the before pictures, so that you can see your real progress. I was too embarrassed to do the before pictures, as I was embarrassed of how I looked and didn't want to document it. Now I wish I had! You'll be amazed by your progress!

I had noticed some odd soreness last week along my abdominal muscles, and it turns out I have an umbilical hernia. I am still waiting to see if it requires surgery or not, though the doctor said most likely it will. It has really taken the wind out of my sails :( He didn't tell me no exercise, but I am not allowed to do weight training or intense exercise until I know if it needs surgery. This of course means there is little with P90x I can do. Fortunately I am in week 8, which is a recovery week. Yesterday was supposed to be yoga, and I just was not sure if that would be too strenuous on my midsection or not, so I skipped it, which felt awful :(. I do not WANT to skip workouts, I do not WANT to take it easy. I am loving my progress and WANT to stick with it. This is beyond frustrating.