Looking for motivating friends on 1200 calorie diet!

Options

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 too. Not sure why people feel this will put us in starvation mode? I try to eat back some of my exercise calories and/or save calories for weekend. With all that said the 1200 I eat generally doesn't include junk. Check out this site for healthier chocolate treats chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Why would you only want people who encourage you to undereat? Just curious.

Was asking myself the same question...

Opened the post because I was going to say "Sorry, can't help you, because I eat much more than 1200 calories!"

Now if the OP wants to talk about good health and would like my take on healthy foods; well, then, I'm in!

Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about? Do you mean it's unhealthy to eat 1200 calories a day?

What she said ^^^^^
  • kimbhe69
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I have been fine for the last year.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Opened the post because I was going to say "Sorry, can't help you, because I eat much more than 1200 calories!"
    Really? Just a quick glance at your diary and I wouldn't say you eat "much more" than 1200 calories. You're also assuming that she's only going to consume 1200 and not exercise and eat more.
    Now if the OP wants to talk about good health and would like my take on healthy foods; well, then, I'm in!
    So, you're an expert on "good health" and "healthy foods"? Not sure I'd agree with that based on some of the things you eat, but hey, that's just me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Saraqt apparently doesn't understand that the calories are based upon the requirement of the individual on the diet. 1200 for someone who wants to lose say 1.5 lbs per week would be appropriate given the persons hgt/wgt and amount of exercise.
    Saraqt, you need to understand the process. If you use the mfp auto tool to determine your cals, you'd understand.

WRONG.

Losing 1.5 pounds per week is an inappropriate goal for someone under 200 pounds. 1200 calories is inappropriate for most people (no I didn't say "all"), especially if they are moderately active.

I think Saraqt understands the process well, VERY well and that's why she was showing concern for this 1200 calorie nonsense.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I think Saraqt understands the process well, VERY well and that's why she was showing concern for this 1200 calorie nonsense.
    Y'all should email Mike and Steve. Apparently they're making huge mistakes on this site by setting people at a 1200 calorie goal based on personal information that they have and you don't.
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    just remember mfp settings are general & with you working out, you may need more calories...
    good luck
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Y'all should email Mike and Steve. Apparently they're making huge mistakes on this site by setting people at a 1200 calorie goal based on personal information that they have and you don't.

Meh.. I think the proof is in the pudding. I'm healthy, I've lost weight at a perfect rate (average 1.7 lbs per week since January) and I eat 1200 a day. So...
  • cmancini87
    Options
    I too love chocolates but I am looking to lose about 15 lbs so I'm starting the 1200 calorie plan today! Hopefully I can stay away at least for a little to get these extra pounds off!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

You do realize that MFP sets many people up with a goal of 1200 calories, right? How do you know she's not sedentary? How do you know if she'll burn 500 calories a day and consume 1500 calories? You don't. Try being more supportive, people.

OP- Welcome to MFP. A place where you'll get all kinds of advice and support. Most of the people who sound rude are well meaning. Too many people eat less than they should and it really won't help you lose weight if you do that. However, there are plenty who are on the 1200 goal plan and eat more than that because of adding exercise. See what works for you. Good luck!

Oh, and my goal is set to 1200 right now, but I change it up from time to time.

MFP sets calorie goals at 1200 when people are setting unrealistic weight loss goals. 1200 is the MFP minimum. While I do agree that there are a small number of people out there who will be fine on 1200 calories, I do NOT think that is a healthy goal for the majority of people and I don't think there's anything at all wrong that some of us feel the need to voice our concerns.

Interestingly, there's been a pattern in the comments. Lots of the 1200 cal supporters are talking about their love of sweets, "chocolate, drool" etc. I'd say y'all sound hungry and that many of you are struggling with your 1200 goal. Well, I'm never hungry on my plan, and never struggling (it just took me over 10 years to finally commit to my health).
  • acw87
    acw87 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey. You can add me too!
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

You do realize that MFP sets many people up with a goal of 1200 calories, right? How do you know she's not sedentary? How do you know if she'll burn 500 calories a day and consume 1500 calories? You don't. Try being more supportive, people.

OP- Welcome to MFP. A place where you'll get all kinds of advice and support. Most of the people who sound rude are well meaning. Too many people eat less than they should and it really won't help you lose weight if you do that. However, there are plenty who are on the 1200 goal plan and eat more than that because of adding exercise. See what works for you. Good luck!

Oh, and my goal is set to 1200 right now, but I change it up from time to time.

MFP sets calorie goals at 1200 when people are setting unrealistic weight loss goals. 1200 is the MFP minimum. While I do agree that there are a small number of people out there who will be fine on 1200 calories, I do NOT think that is a healthy goal for the majority of people and I don't think there's anything at all wrong that some of us feel the need to voice our concerns.

Interestingly, there's been a pattern in the comments. Lots of the 1200 cal supporters are talking about their love of sweets, "chocolate, drool" etc. I'd say y'all sound hungry and that many of you are struggling with your 1200 goal. Well, I'm never hungry on my plan, and never struggling (it just took me over 10 years to finally commit to my health).

I'm a 1200er, I don't really eat chocolate, I treat myself to a hot chocolate once in a while! I suppose it depends on each person's appetite, but if somebody can eat 1200 a day, be healthy, and lose weight at a good speed, then why should they up those calories and lose weight slower?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about? Do you mean it's unhealthy to eat 1200 calories a day?

Since I didn't actually offer any advice, what are YOU talking about?

Yes, for most people (not all), I do think 1200 calories per day can be unhealthy especially if they are not eating whole, natural foods and if they are moderately active or more. And yes, that is my OPINION and just as valid as anyone else's.
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

Since I didn't actually offer any advice, what are YOU talking about?

Yes, for most people (not all), I do think 1200 calories per day can be unhealthy especially if they are not eating whole, natural foods and if they are moderately active or more. And yes, that is my OPINION and just as valid as anyone else's.

I know you didn't offer any advice, you just came onto a thread where the OP asked for friends who are eating the same amount of calories, and spun a bit of nonsense!

Why bother!? That's not what they asked!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Really? Just a quick glance at your diary and I wouldn't say you eat "much more" than 1200 calories. You're also assuming that she's only going to consume 1200 and not exercise and eat more.
    So, you're an expert on "good health" and "healthy foods"? Not sure I'd agree with that based on some of the things you eat, but hey, that's just me.

My diary is open to everyone for a reason. You trying to embarrass me will not work because you are absolutely wrong (are you me?). Would you like the HUGE list of health problems that I have cleared up with how I eat? No, I don't always eat perfect; did you see where I mention that I live in the ARCTIC so don't have near the access to all the goodies that the rest of you take for granted?

Do you think there might be a reason that my fat is 65%, protein 25%, and carb 10%? I can assure you that there is. Hey, do you think I'm getting too much sugar? Maybe from eating too many vegetables?

SURPRISE, your diary is CLOSED but you don't mind trying to belittle the way I eat, even though it's based on thousands of hours of research and a lifetime of trial and error on my own body. Wow, aren't you something special.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Good grief. Do you even understand the concept of MFP? Our calorie goal may be set at 1200, but that does not mean we ONLY consume 1200 on a daily basis. Hopefully we are exercising and eating back those calories.
    The OP mentioned she loves chocolate, so others are telling her they do too. Not sure how that makes anyone "sound hungry" or like they're stuggling with the 1200 calorie goal. I'm glad you're not hungry on your plan and that you "never" struggle.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Duh, 1200 is the MFP minimum. If I set my weight loss for 5 pounds a week, surprise, 1200 would show up. Doesn't mean it's "healthy".
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    My diary is open to everyone for a reason. You trying to embarrass me will not work because you are absolutely wrong (are you me?). Would you like the HUGE list of health problems that I have cleared up with how I eat? No, I don't always eat perfect; did you see where I mention that I live in the ARCTIC so don't have near the access to all the goodies that the rest of you take for granted?
    Do you think there might be a reason that my fat is 65%, protein 25%, and carb 10%? I can assure you that there is. Hey, do you think I'm getting too much sugar? Maybe from eating too many vegetables?
    SURPRISE, your diary is CLOSED but you don't mind trying to belittle the way I eat, even though it's based on thousands of hours of research and a lifetime of trial and error on my own body. Wow, aren't you something special.

See how it feels to be judged by someone who doesn't know you? THAT was my point. Not to embarrass you.
  • sianknickers
    Options
    You can add me if you wish!I started yesterday and need support too as I'm looking to lose 47 lbs in total over the next year to get to a 'safe' weight (according to my doctor). I will start with the 1200 calorie diet but do intend on increasing calories as I go as such a low count will not be feasible for a long term dietry plan.
    Oh-er...that sounded a bit serious! :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Options

Duh, 1200 is the MFP minimum. If I set my weight loss for 5 pounds a week, surprise, 1200 would show up. Doesn't mean it's "healthy".

*facepalm* alright I'm off! lol