Looking for motivating friends on 1200 calorie diet!

Options
123457»

Replies

• charline66
    charline66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am new to this too, also belong to the gym (just need to go more regularly !!!). Going to find it hard to give up the chocolate and wine, well cut down anyway. Need to lose about a stone and half as a result of stopping smoking. Please add me I need all the motivation I can get, and will support you too!

Charlie
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to everyone for a reason. You trying to embarrass me will not work because you are absolutely wrong (are you me?). Would you like the HUGE list of health problems that I have cleared up with how I eat? No, I don't always eat perfect; did you see where I mention that I live in the ARCTIC so don't have near the access to all the goodies that the rest of you take for granted?
    Do you think there might be a reason that my fat is 65%, protein 25%, and carb 10%? I can assure you that there is. Hey, do you think I'm getting too much sugar? Maybe from eating too many vegetables?
    SURPRISE, your diary is CLOSED but you don't mind trying to belittle the way I eat, even though it's based on thousands of hours of research and a lifetime of trial and error on my own body. Wow, aren't you something special.

See how it feels to be judged by someone who doesn't know you? THAT was my point. Not to embarrass you.

I did not ever judge the OP. I just offered my opinion that 1200 calories is not appropriate for MOST people. I'm speaking from the point of view of "been there, done that" and I damaged my health with extreme calorie-restricted dieting when I was young like her. It's out of concern that I would warn of eating too little, especially if those 1200 calories don't come from whole, natural foods. For instance, when I dieted in my 20s everything was about low fat, and filling up on low cal foods (rice cakes!), and using unlimited amounts of artificial sweeteners. I'm almost 40 now and I know a better way.

I don't know how you can say that my eating is not "healthy"; perhaps you are of the "avoid fat" crowd. That's too bad. But I'll never know when you don't have the courage to share.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to see so many threads turn into so much negative because of a few comments. Turned from an introduction to insults and bickering

I'm not on any 1200 cal diet but I am motivating for sure so you can add if you like

Everyone is different..some can operate on 1200 some can't...its real simple folks...if you listen to your body it will let you know what you need.

Next congrats to Miss Danni on that big time accomplishment following this type of diet, it just goes to show that yes it can be done :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can add me too!

I am set on the 1200 by my nutritionist (got to start eating better) and they want me to eat at least 1200 a day. (and yes I do log in my drinks, so they are in my total. But the nutritionist subracts those from the daily when I check in with them)

I am here not to lose weight, but to keep track of my foods due to some health issues and I like that I can log them in on my phone too. I don't have the best eating habits, and that is why I am here. I need the motivation to eat better and get healthy. :wink:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can add me too!

I am set on the 1200 by my nutritionist (got to start eating better) and they want me to eat at least 1200 a day. (and yes I do log in my drinks, so they are in my total. But the nutritionist subracts those from the daily when I check in with them)

I am here not to lose weight, but to keep track of my foods due to some health issues and I like that I can log them in on my phone too. I don't have the best eating habits, and that is why I am here. I need the motivation to eat better and get healthy. :wink:

fire that nutritionist.

EDIT: unless you are morbidly obese.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    OK, not sure why folks WANT to be on a very low calorie diet. Is this something that you're planning do the rest of your life? If not, what do you think happens when you splurge or eat more?

Please get some solid education about your bodies and what you're doing to them, before you become a yo-yo dieter gaining more weight each time. Great read:

The Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor

:flowerforyou:
  • rlindemann01
    rlindemann01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well! You can add me and anyone else. Everyone helps while deiting!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want. I'm at 1240 calories per day. I adore salty snacks and candy afterward so I have the double whammy. I've been doing some reading and am hearing that we "we crave what we eat". So until I feel I can eat these items in moderation, I've chosen to walk away from the items I always overeat. I'm replacing salty empty calories (like crackers and chips) with other salty items that are fairly innocuous (lite popcorn) or even beneficial (beef jerky - lean protein). Some say if you "deprive" yourself of things it will make you overindulge when you eat them. I would have agreed prior to taking on my new way of thinking. Candy I've just had to walk away from completely. I don't envision either of these things are going to be given up forever. Just until I feel I can consume them like "normal" (whatever that is) people do. :)

I've been on here only a month and I'm telling you joining myfitnesspal is the smartest thing I've ever done in my goal to get to a reasonable weight for my height and body type. Track everything, and read the message boards for suggestions and encouragement.

My food diary is open for viewing (only for friends) so feel free to add me and peruse how I'm hanging in with the 1240 calories and what I'm eating. I find that helpful also, seeing other members' diaries and getting ideas.

Last thing. The concept of craving what we eat is why experts have been saying for some time that diet soda is counterintuitive to dieting because it still tastes sweet and encourages you to maintain the sweets craving. That being said, I'm still drinking Diet Pepsi... LOL
  • klhunt23
    Options
    You can add me...been doing this now for about 6 weeks...I take it day by day
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    OK, not sure why folks WANT to be on a very low calorie diet. Is this something that you're planning do the rest of your life? If not, what do you think happens when you splurge or eat more?

Please get some solid education about your bodies and what you're doing to them, before you become a yo-yo dieter gaining more weight each time. Great read:

The Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor

:flowerforyou:

When I joined myfitnesspal and said I wanted to lose a pound a week (fairly reasonable I thought) myfitnesspal set my calorie intake at 1240. I'm very aware of my BMR and TDEE and understand that when I reach maintenance stage I will be eating more and will have to integrate more food into my daily plans. This is how I am hoping to maintain my weight once I get there. That being said, I'm not nuts about that 1240. Real life happens. I adore Mexican food and I can be certain almost every time I go out to eat it, I'm going to eat more than my 1240. Big deal. I didn't get this way because once in a while I exceed my TDEE in calories (which is significantly higher than 1240 of course). I got this way because I ALWAYS did it. :)

Thanks for voicing your concern about those of us on low calorie diets. I think your concern is well founded and it's probably a good idea for people to make sure they've got a handle on their eating plan AFTER they lose the weight at this low calorie intake rate. Oh and for the record. I've gone over all this with my doc. He said eat my exercise calories, or at least half of them, so I don't go under the 1200 on any given day.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not obese, but not eating enough...we are working up to 1500 without cause intestinal distress. I am attempting to learn to eat better and feel better. (thank you for your concern :smile: )
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • lilmzritz
    lilmzritz Posts: 176
    Options
    Adding you right now. :)
  • AJB5K
    AJB5K Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm brand new. 1200 cals too. I'm looking for motivating friends too. Add me?
  • llpleslie
    Options
    As another sweet addict to another, you can add me.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It’s weird how people come out of the woodwork against a plan like this but are on a plan now that’s not working for them.
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    I am a newbie too - atleast to this site, and am on a 1200 calorie plan. looking for buddy's - to share the journey with who are in a similar boat. I would like to lose 65-70 lbs more lbs (lost 13 so far), and I know it is completely possible, just need to keep the motivation. I joined the gym and have become quite addicted to body combat - I think it will be my life saver (literally):happy:
  • Roxiehart9
    Options
    All calories are not equal. If you are looking for weightloss, you need to unbalance your diet. More protein, WAY less carbs, and lots of healthy natural stuff. You'll start to see that you can easily get full on 1200-1300 calories of healthy eating over 1200-1300 calories of junk and processed foods. Though calories do play an effect in this equation, you really should be watching the carb intake. 1200 calories isn't bad if you're a stationary person. If you exercise you'll want to up it a little bit. It all depends on your body also. I'm pretty active and have been all my life, but my body does NOT agree with carbs. I've cut them out and stay under 90 carbs a day and have been losing 1-2 lbs a week pretty consistently for the past 3 months with exercise. If you exercise, change up your routine every 3-4 weeks becuase your body will adjust to the routine and a plateau will happen. Hope this helps and Best of luck to you :)
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Boy oh boy, this is like a religious war!!! By the way, I assume the OP means 1200 KILOcalorie diet, because if it is 1200 calorie diet, then it REALLY is too little :-)

I am also on 1200 kcal plan. I am not overweight and never have been, just want to shed a couple of unwanted pounds that I have gained very recently and by gearing up on my exercise regime, get myself in the best possible shape. I find this process enjoyable, easy and fun.

Though I have faith in what the MFP is offering, I think it is good to do a quick BMR and TDEE calculation (plenty of resources around the internet, google is your friend) and see whether what MFP has suggested aligns with that. In my case it very much does.

I want to add that I am a big believer in eating back my exercise calories which, because I do more and more exercise these days, leaves me with plenty of calories to nurture my body, even enjoy a rare indulgence every now and then.

I want to point out to those who critisise MFP for advocating too low calorie intake: eating back the exercise calories is MFP's philosophy. In the goals setting it says very clearly: Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned.

For example: I am a female, 45 years old, height: 5'9'', weight: 139 lb, I have a desk job, I do approx 400 kcal worth of exercise a day. My BMR is 1361, my TDEE (without exercise) is 1633. I want to lose 0.9 lb a week, so I need a calorie deficit of 460 kcal a day.

So if I I was maintaining my weight, I would eat 1633+400=2033 kcal a day, but as I want to lose 0.9 lb a week, I am eating 1200+400=1600 kcal a day, having a 433 kcal deficit (which is close enough :wink:)

So to be honest, in my case 1200 kcal plan is absolutely spot on. I am not sure I completely understand where the animosity against 1200 kcal plan is coming from. Provided the person has done their own math as well AND is eating back their exercise calories, it seems like a perfectly solid plan.

Yes, feel free to add me as Your Fitness Pal :flowerforyou: