Sick and tired of defending goal weight!

Options
124»

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    People don't want you to change.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    People don't want you to change.

People want you to stay fat like they are.

You're quitting their club. You're abandoning them, one pound at a time.

You might even force them to think about their own choices. They won't love you for that.

They aren't really telling you to stay heavy. They're trying to save themselves from a little bit of introspection.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What are they going to say? "Yeah, honey you gotta lose 10lbs from your *kitten*" when they have congratulated you on losing 30? I'd cry myself to sleep.

ETA my landlord gets upset by my losing weight. Probably because her husband said I am starting to look like I could be a model as skinny as I am and she is overweight. So she says "now, you're not going to lose anymore are you?!?!?!" every time she sees me and I say NO WAY even though I want to lose another 10-15lbs.
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A fair share of people here in the USA have no clue what a healthy weight looks like since we're surrounded by the obese, so I put zero stock in what the ignorant of the world want to spout.

So true about USA people have no clue what a healthy weight should be because the "average" weight has gone way way up.
  • KStyleFitness
    KStyleFitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get this often. I am still considered overweight by at least 5 pounds. I would like to lose at least another 15. And that would put me in the middle of the range. Actually lower would be nice, but maintenance would be too hard.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I feel like when people say stuff like that they are jealous that you're doing something to better yourself and they are (most likely) not.

For instance I have an annoying female neighbor that is always outside and sees me (obviously) coming home from the gym all sweaty in my gym clothes and she'll say something like "Why are you always at the gym? You're already in good shape, you don't need to work out so much!" - I don't get this statement and it feels like it is coming from a bad place. The reason I am in good shape is BECAUSE I work out so much. I've been this size for 8+ years now, and there's a reason for it! It just irks me.

Ignore people.
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exoerienced this for the first time last night. When I declined a full fat hot choc at my camera club I got a barrage of quesitons as to why not and foolishly said I was losing weight so had switched to the low cal equivalent which they don't have.

Got the whole 9 yards of "you didn't need to lose weight" despite the fact at the start of July I was in the middle of the overweight category and clothes were getting too tight. Plus an interrogation as to what I have been doing ("must be a faddy/crash diet").. Oh and of course why are you carrying on, you must be starving yourself... sigh..

I left there feeling quite dejected.

Contrast that to this morning and a lady at the doctors I hadn't seen for a while said "you have lost weight how have you done it, well done you" type conversation.

I left there feeling very happy!

So I'm now like a lot of the other posters here. Don't discuss weight with anyone else unless it appears they will enter in the conversation to not necessarily reflect their own bad habits projecting onto your good intentions.